What wavemaker is best for my tank?

xeqtologist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon breeder and I have a gyre wavemaker and a regular circular wide angle wavemaker and the gyre's been either hit or miss on being too strong or just not giving the result i want. The smaller wavemaker is good but can't be on it's own and it's underpowered. I have a central rock setup that goes up to the top of the water and extends out about 4 inches from the front. and I want to have two wavemakers I just have been battling with this gyre for awhile. Does anyone have any reccomendations on wavemaker pairs that I can get good flow on with my torches and nems? This is mainly a coral tank tbh. lots of corals.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 40 breeder has 2 gyres set at 45% plus the return.

I think your issue is having only one, IMO its almost impossible to have good flow all through the tank with only one source of flow, it creates a linear one-way flow that will have several dead flow spots. Ideally there should be 2 sources or flow on the opposite side of each other with the flow aimed at each other so they bounce and create random flow patterns, this is ideal.

Even my 15 gallon softie tank has 2 powerheads.

OP
OP
X

xeqtologist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 40 breeder has 2 gyres set at 45% plus the return.

I think your issue is having only one, IMO its almost impossible to have good flow all through the tank with only one source of flow, it creates a linear one-way flow that will have several dead flow spots. Ideally there should be 2 sources or flow on the opposite side of each other with the flow aimed at each other so they bounce and create random flow patterns, this is ideal.

Even my 15 gallon softie tank has 2 powerheads.
How are your gyres set up? are they complete opposite or is there some variation with one being further up front and one being further back

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are both on the opposite side, about 2 thirds of the way up. I like to angle at least one of the cages upwards to agitate the surface, and they are both set on random flow, so the flow actually goes and down from 35%-45% on each side.

rtparty

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Tunze pumps are my all time favorite. They are rock solid. Depending on budget they have a whole bunch of choices.

I am currently using the 6040 on a 25g tank and it is crazy good. Dead silent and doesn't take up much room at all

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back