What was the one thing you did that kicked your tank to the next level?

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!!

I've been in this hobby for close to 20 years and have many tanks in that time, some more successful than others.

What was the one thing you did that seemed to unlock the next level of growth and success?

-Or-

What was the one thing you did that brought your "meh" tank to "wow"?

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats in your tank if I might ask?
IMG_2254.jpeg
It’s a mixed reef.
Came close to a crash when I vacationed for a month in January, took the filter socks out thinking it would make it easier to care for, but my daughter stopped filling the ATO and I came home to a filthy tank from over feeding and a salinity of 1.031.
Lost some nice pieces like my WWC Helios, but you can see that it’s recovering.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RelaxingWithTheReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy had a lot to do with it
IMG_0267.jpeg

I got an opinion earlier but just for more sample, who do you recommend?
I use the Oceamo ICP-MS test available from Andre Mueller. Christoph is very knowledgeable. He has shared a lot of data, and answered a lot of questions here on R2R regarding his testing methods and accuracy. This inspires a lot of confidence in his test results.

Upvote 0

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switching from a Calcium Reactor to Reef Zlements PH-Plus 2 part dosing and regular ICP testing.

Attachments

• 46C8F362-F845-4A39-8A04-C12D59423F5C.png
    46C8F362-F845-4A39-8A04-C12D59423F5C.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
Upvote 0

odariel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has to be STABILITY, and in my particular case, being an SPS fan, the one single thing that took my reef to the next level is alkalinity stability.

I had the nutrients under control via carbon dosing and lanthanum, and although i was seeing growth, adding a Xepta Autobalance (trident equivalent here in europe) and being able to have my alk REALLY stable and automated dosing adjusted to those readings skyrocketed my reef tank growth. Now i struggle to have any nutrients readable having an overstocked tank and feeding 4 or 5 times a day due to the amount of coral and growth i am getting.

STABILITY (on proper parameters of course) is the key!

Upvote 0

Badblackdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 x 200g tanks (started 1 year apart) and both were doing ok. SPS was a bit of a problem due to lack of stability. I tested by hand 2x a week but that wasn't really enough to keep alk/cal swings. I added a basic dosing pump (no app ) but this was only marginally better. I then added Tridents for testing - this was a big game changer. Final step was adding Red Sea 4 head dosing pumps that i can control remotely. Now i can see key parameters in real time and make changes as needed - from anywhere. Now SPS are very happy along with all other corals. I know some people think automation is over rated but unless you sit on your tank, test everyday, dose a few times a day - it's def a big game changer. I also have a Red Sea ATO which allows you to see how much your are adding - to spot any issues.
The Red Sea ATO is awesome.

Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back