What was the one thing you did that kicked your tank to the next level?

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!!

I've been in this hobby for close to 20 years and have many tanks in that time, some more successful than others.

What was the one thing you did that seemed to unlock the next level of growth and success?

-Or-

What was the one thing you did that brought your "meh" tank to "wow"?

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super easy - I bought one of these and started fragging them! lol
Magic Money Tree GIF by STARCUTOUTSUK

Upvote 0

Fish_Fry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump.

I'm curious to see how everyone answers.

I'm mostly doing the same things I've always done. I have a very light coral load but IMO adding a doser for 2 part has helped the most. At some point I do want to add an AWC. I expect that will improve stability, especially when life gets in the way of regular maintenance.

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started keeping my parameters stable and added a Tunze ATO. With everything stable with no big swings in salinity and the big three it just took off.

Upvote 0

Flatlower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First level jump: chunking the dry rock and putting in gulf live rock and sand. Second level jump: getting a doser and dosing All For Reef.
all for reef is pretty awesome. Its like cruise control. I supplement kalkwasser 50/50 AFR. If i wasn't trying for fast growth. ARF all the way.

It's getting to be fall in high country of colorado. So ph is a little struggle with windows closed.

Upvote 0

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fine — I’ll bite

Trident: I’m too lazy to test so knowing your trend is very important
CaRx: once you know alk levels, dial in the CaRx and go into autopilot mode

My 4yo 150g SPS tank is super easy to maintain - just clean the glass and skimmer, feed nori every other day, that’s it! No WC, nada.

Upvote 0

RelaxingWithTheReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You asked for one thing, but we have a tie. There were two things I did to turn my C level tank into a solid A.

Trace Elements – I dismissed adding trace elements as unnecessary for years. I was wrong.

Carbon Dosing – After trying many different methods of nutrient control, carbon dosing wins in a landslide. Not only is there excellent control resulting in needed stability, but the resulting bacteria are also believed to feed the corals. It’s a win-win.

Upvote 0

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a plan from day one is #1. Without one many people struggle.

Chose your parameters and focus on keeping them in range.
Have an idea of what your tank will look like when mature.
Pick your reefing method and stick with it.
Live rock for instant reefing. This will keep you smiling from day one, lol.
Have all your equipment in place from day one.
These are parts of the plan for keeping a reeftank from day one, imo.

Upvote 0

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You asked for one thing, but we have a tie. There were two things I did to turn my C level tank into a solid A.

Trace Elements – I dismissed adding trace elements as unnecessary for years. I was wrong.

Carbon Dosing – After trying many different methods of nutrient control, carbon dosing wins in a landslide. Not only is there excellent control resulting in needed stability, but the resulting bacteria are also believed to feed the corals. It’s a win-win.
I have been dosing DSR trace elements for over 7 years now with excellent results.
I add it to my ato and it gets added whenever the ato comes on.
Simple way to add trace without using a dosing pump. Been doing this for 5+ years now.

I use carbon dosing to keep no3
in range when needed. Simple once a day dose of vodka.

Again this is all part of the PLAN!

Upvote 0

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 x 200g tanks (started 1 year apart) and both were doing ok. SPS was a bit of a problem due to lack of stability. I tested by hand 2x a week but that wasn't really enough to keep alk/cal swings. I added a basic dosing pump (no app ) but this was only marginally better. I then added Tridents for testing - this was a big game changer. Final step was adding Red Sea 4 head dosing pumps that i can control remotely. Now i can see key parameters in real time and make changes as needed - from anywhere. Now SPS are very happy along with all other corals. I know some people think automation is over rated but unless you sit on your tank, test everyday, dose a few times a day - it's def a big game changer. I also have a Red Sea ATO which allows you to see how much your are adding - to spot any issues.

Upvote 0

BryanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shouldn't answer this as I'm not there yet...still a fresh tank under 6mo old.

Best thing I did? Find this site. From here, reading, helpful people I did:

#1. Used Gulf Live Rock. And I'll tell you I did not want to due to the cost, but it was clearly worth it.
#2. Dosing AFR
#3. trying not to chase numbers...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jkobel

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I need to learn more about carbon dosing. I have a lot of gear and systems in place and I dont want to add more "just to add it" but I've only recently come to learn about it as a means for nutrient export.

Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back