What kind of rotifers for clownfish breeding??

Niko219

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing some research and want to hear some live responses on this,
What species of rotifer is best for clownfish fry after hatching?

-
I know it depends on the type of clowns, so i'll say what situation im in.

I have a pair of lightning maroons I can breed, and also a pair of ocellaris.
They have both been laying.
I know that maroons are typically harder as the fry start out smaller, and ocellaris just a bit bigger and easier than the maroons.

I'm not quite sure on the size order of the types of rotifers, but i've mainly heard that L-rotifers work for ocellaris, and I saw some lady say that her maroons kept dying and she was feeding them L rotifers, so maybe she should try S rotifers.

can someone just give me some cold hard confirmation on this stuff before I buy a batch of live rotifers and it turns out my fry wont eat them?

Thanks,
Niko

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Ocellaris clowns at least, Brachionus plicatilis (L-Strain) is the go-to species for the scientific community; I have heard of good results when using Brachionus rotundiformis (S-Strain) for days 1-5 then transitioning to L-Strain though. Lots of info in my post linked below, and an alternative feeding/rearing schedule (viable for both Ocellaris and Maroon clowns) can be found in the clownfish section of the paper linked below that:

AlohaJacklyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing some research and want to hear some live responses on this,
What species of rotifer is best for clownfish fry after hatching?

-
I know it depends on the type of clowns, so i'll say what situation im in.

I have a pair of lightning maroons I can breed, and also a pair of ocellaris.
They have both been laying.
I know that maroons are typically harder as the fry start out smaller, and ocellaris just a bit bigger and easier than the maroons.

I'm not quite sure on the size order of the types of rotifers, but i've mainly heard that L-rotifers work for ocellaris, and I saw some lady say that her maroons kept dying and she was feeding them L rotifers, so maybe she should try S rotifers.

can someone just give me some cold hard confirmation on this stuff before I buy a batch of live rotifers and it turns out my fry wont eat them?

Thanks,
Niko
I breed both.

Ocellaris use L-rotifers while lightning maroons need S-rotifers. I learned the hard way and couldn't figure out why my lightnings were dying.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back