What is your favourite YouTube channel for reef keeping?

BRS
Avast

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the older Tidal Gardens videos where they had coral spotlights showing you their growth and care requirements.
I avoid the obvious paid endorsements where someone gives glowing reviews of the product they've only just opened. Those get real old, real fast.

Lyss

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never understood youtube, or how people spend hours on it. Is it like TV for the internet age?

I do not go to youtube unless someone links me there, or if ai need a "how to" video. With that said, I will watch a BRS investigates video on occasion.
I stream it on my television and watch it like regular TV. Some creators have really good content, and you can tell they put a lot into the content and production.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Unitylover

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanting to expand my knowledge of reef keeping and id love to see some informative YouTube channels.
Show It Off Tim And Eric GIF by Adult Swim
BRS, and MR reef safe. Mr reef safe actually has a build thread here

A Young reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef builders
EatSleepReef (he disappeared all of a sudden)
Bahama llama coral
Coral fish 12g
Inappropriate Reefer
My first fish tank
Reef dudes
Coral euphoria
Frag box
Reef dork
Parker’s reef
Occasionally BRS

AS

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tidal Gardens is A+++ stuff. Than is super knowledgeable and really goes into (painful) detail about almost everything they do. He also does monthly live shows that are really fun to kinda observe.

Fish of Hex is local to me here in PA, he basically documents the trials and tribulations of large scale (about 500 gallon total-ish?) and DIYs some stuff. He doesn't break down into crazy detail, but it's nice to see other reefers asking the same questions and actually getting answers most of the time.

BRS - the old stand by

Mr. Saltwater - similar to BRS, but a lot more observational stuff than BRS break downs.

There's some good small channels like inappropriate reefer, madhatter, reefdorks, etc. that range from beginner struggles to a lil more intermediate stuffs.

World Wide Corals

FiddlersReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
REEF BEEF! Nothing more informative and funny than Ben and Rich. I eagerly look forward to new episodes every week. No BS, just knowledge based on years of experience. Ben has something like 700 years experience doing maintenance. They also post it as a podcast for easy listening.
OMG, imagine the amount of salt he's used in 700 years... ;)

miltonkl

Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately, FragboxTV / Fragbox Corals. Low production values, super frequent relatively short videos. Fits my preferences really, really well. If this guy was in the US instead of CAN I'd for sure be ordering stuff from him.

I also really enjoy Parker's Reef. He's an Aussie reefer and seems like a great person and had a good series setting up his dream reef tank. I could stand to see a little more variety on his channel, but still loving it.

Tidal Gardens is my 3rd choice. I really like the host/owner guy and really love the behind the scenes of operating their business and setting up tanks and stuff. Wish that content was posted more, because that's the kind of stuff I can't get enough of!

I really want to find a channel that regularly shows just some of the nuts and bolts of maintaining a display tank. I don't see a lot of videos out there talking about choosing coral placement locations, what to consider when scaping, or fragging an overgrown coral in the display. In the rare case you see someone actually show fragging and not just a before and after, they're always pulling a coral from a grow out frag system never display tank maintenance where you might not be able to just pop out the whole coral easily.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Acros

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reefbum is my go-to sleep time reef podcast. The guy worked in the media business and that experience shines through in his live casts. He makes sure that the mics are always at a near-constant listenable volume on both sides.

Last edited:

ColoredRock

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbuilders... (Reef Therapy)

im a podcast guy.. Spending time in the car should be productive

listening to reef stuff with the family in the car is like extending a dad joke... my kids are all older.. but on that rare occasion... its gold.

Have to check out a few of the suggestions!

Avast
OP
OP
AnnaG

AnnaG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbuilders... (Reef Therapy)

im a podcast guy.. Spending time in the car should be productive

listening to reef stuff with the family in the car is like extending a dad joke... my kids are all older.. but on that rare occasion... its gold.

Have to check out a few of the suggestions!
never gotten into podcasts but reef therapy sounds pretty good :D

rtparty

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what I'm looking for.

New equipment or how to use it: BRStv all day. Thomas is the best in the biz. ReefDudes is also really good here

Corals: Tidal Gardens or Coral Euphoria. Abe at Coral Euphoria is one of the best hobbyists out there

Fun to follow: Parker's Reef and ReefBum

Most YT channels do far more damage than good IMO. Especially the more entertainment driven channels

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back