What is up with my torch head ?!

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have an IM 50 EXT with trigger 20 cube sump.

Filtration:

Reefmat
carbon reactor
bubble king 160 skimmer
Pentair 40w UV

Paramets:

NO3: 28.3
PO4: 0.156
pH: 8.1
dKh: 9.1
Ca: 465
Sg: 33 ppt

The fish I have used to live at 33 but I have been meaning to raise salinity. I just have been afraid to because I have been adjusting doses and trying to stabilize everything else..

Right now one of my torch heads is all shriveled up and the others look ok. It looks really bad to me but
I am a super beginner. I have had this torch about 2 months and It looked great when it arrived. About a month ago I moved it and beat it up with flow for a couple days and it hasn't recovered to its former glory. I did have high nitrates ~40 for awhile and still pretty high (28.3) but going down. My akalinity is normally at 8.8 or just under. This is the highest is has gotten. I added an AWC about 3 weeks ago to combat the nitrates and was running about 2 gallons a day for a couple weeks.

I saw one of the other heads expel zooxanthella the other day.

20240928_190849[1].jpg 20240928_190846[1].jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday it looked a little better but today it looks a good bit worse. It might be because my ATO did not turn on all day for some reason. salinity has moved from 33 to maybe 33.3ish. I don't know if that is enough to effect it this way. I might be doing something very basic wrong for this torch. Thanks guys.

Yesterday
20240929_210233[1].jpg

Today
20240930_212420.jpg

About the ato failure...
I have no idea what happened. I have hydros. My low level sensor should have warned me first but I did not have it set correctly. When I realized the water level was low I also noticed the ATO was on. So I thought maybe siphon. But no my waste bin is still empty. My ATO logs say it hasn't turned on since last night. Now, the logs are showing up for it being turned on at 9 pm when I saw it. I have no clue what I did to turn it back on. Maybe I was really in my head from work and just mindlessly set it back to auto instead of off like everything should be and didn't realize what I was changing.. Time will tell?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 heads are now receding. Man this hurts! I got such a great deal on this torch I won't have another this nice I think. :(

Attachments

• 20241002_203454[1].jpg
    20241002_203454[1].jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20241002_203458[1].jpg
    20241002_203458[1].jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 18

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It’s unlikely that zoas would cause a torch to recede. Do you have a buddy with an older tank that can house the torch for a few weeks until your tank matures a bit more?

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s unlikely that zoas would cause a torch to recede. Do you have a buddy with an older tank that can house the torch for a few weeks until your tank matures a bit more?
I do not. I could make a post to a local reefer group and maybe trade it away I guess.. :'(

I started this tank with 55lbs of gulf live rock and the last few pieces of rock I had in aquariums for a year. I had hoped this would jumpstart my tank enough.

edit: I also had 20 lbs of live gulf sand

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I do not. I could make a post to a local reefer group and maybe trade it away I guess.. :'(

I started this tank with 55lbs of gulf live rock and the last few pieces of rock I had in aquariums for a year. I had hoped this would jumpstart my tank enough.
It does; I think the salinity being low probably stressed it out further after being moved. Alkalinity swings are also a big deal for them (at least in my tanks).

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does; I think the salinity being low probably stressed it out further after being moved. Alkalinity swings are also a big deal for them (at least in my tanks).
I think you are right. Combination of getting beat up awhile ago, low salinity, and my alkalinity is not stable enough. I will buckle down on these!

Should I try and find someone to house it? It could be an opportunity to meet someone I guess.

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think you are right. Combination of getting beat up awhile ago, low salinity, and my alkalinity is not stable enough. I will buckle down on these!

Should I try and find someone to house it? It could be an opportunity to meet someone I guess.
I would try. It can’t hurt to at least join a FB group in your area or reef club and see whether you can meet someone that might be ok with housing it for a bit for you. If you were local I would offer to do it. I’m sure others would as well.

lol just realized, I don’t know where you are located. Where are you? Maybe you are local to me!

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Kentucky but I could walk to Cincinnati. I don't think there is a lot of people on here near me
I'd keep an eye on it if you start seeing brown jelly cut the heads off effected otherwise will wipe out the whole torch

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought the torch to another reefer. He thinks it will make a full recovery and he gave me a couple gold hammer heads.

He has some crazy tanks, mostly euphyllia, but 100s of torch heads, holy grails and other crazy nice coral.
He also says I should stop doing water changes and just let it get dirty. I think it works for him because his systems are at least 200 gallons and he has so much coral it filters the water. I might try to minimize water changes and accept a little higher nitrate/phosphate.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back