Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had issues with acclimating urchins.

I've even bought rocks with hitchhiking ones (as in, they weren't even submerged, at all) that lasted me for years, knowing what species you were using would help.

I will say acclimating them in the same water as mushroom corals isn't the best idea, especially if the water has a lot of the 'mushroom juice' chemicals in such a small space. In a tank/ocean that stuff gets filtered/diluted but in an acclimation space its a soaking poison chamber.

My acclimation method is float for 30 minutes (15 is too short IMO), and I don't drip, I just dump some of the water out, and scoop a little water, pour more out, scoop, pour, scoop, pour, etc until pretty sure at some point the water is 100% rotated with my tank.

A lot of the urchins we get in this hobby very frequently get trapped in tide pools, so I'm not 100% sold on them being that sensitive (otherwise the water in the tide pool evaporating (salinity spikes) then suddenly being reunited with the ocean would all get shocked and die) and even if they are its a slow reversible process (spine loss usually).

My only assumptions for OP is bad supplier (condition they were in prior to shipment) or possible poisoning from long acclimations. The most recent one sounds like its best to give it time, lethargic behavior and spike loss for a new urchin is normal, they're stressed and they shed and regrow spines all the time.

1681893879962.png

Last edited:

bj274

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has he been losing any spines? How is the algae situation? Do you have massively long GHA? If so, I wouldn't expect him to begin feeding on it until you chop it all down to short hairs. If you don't have much algae, you might have to try different types of supplements. Mine knocked out all of the algae (assist from the turbos). I found it would not bother with Nori, but it happily eats a broken piece of algae wafer.
He doesn’t appear to have lost spines yet, but he is not moving around at all. I have really light colored, almost see through GHA, but he’s not moving to even try to eat.
I moved him last night and he seemed to settle in the sand a little but hasn’t budged since.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NicerReefs. Your Reef. But Nicer.
Back