Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first post on the forum. Forgive me if I’ve posted in the wrong place. On April 15th, I added a fire urchin. It was vibrant in color. This week, we noticed that it appears to be losing color. Spines are intact. It has loads of algae to eat and does a great job cleaning the rocks.
Here are the tank specs:
90 display/25 sump
Reefmat and skimmer for filtration
Weekly 10% water changes
The number below have been stable with exception to calcium and magnesium. We’ve been trying to raise those slowly.

Tank is 5 months old
Temp 77
Salinity 1.024
PH 8.2
NH3 0
NO2 0
N03 20ppm
Pho 0.009 ppb
Calcium 430
Magnesium 1160
KH 10.4 dkh
Testing with Red Sea and Hanna

I know phosphates are lower than they should be. Algae seems to eat it up.

I’ve attached photos of how he looked on April 15th and as of today. This is an awesome creature. I don’t want to lose it.

IMG_7658.jpeg IMG_7696.jpeg

CLICK TO VIEW

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully someone with more experience will comment for you here, but the only thing I have for potential advice is that this species of urchin (Astropyga radiata) is an omnivore - so if you're not offering meat in addition to the algae, getting it some meaty foods (like clams, for example) may help.
Hope you can get this guy back on track.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

OP
OP
TamaraC

TamaraC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully someone with more experience will comment for you here, but the only thing I have for potential advice is that this species of urchin (Astropyga radiata) is an omnivore - so if you're not offering meat in addition to the algae, getting it some meaty foods (like clams, for example) may help.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Thank you, I will give that a try!

Stomatopods17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure its not just under different lighting?

I'm looking at blue spectrum lighting and dark rock vs. what seems like white spectrum lighting with light rock.

Fire urchin's blue spots fluoresce more in the blue spectrum if that's what you're referring to losing color.

Looks pretty healthy to me. Just be careful not to get stung this urchin in particular can be way more severe than your average long spine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TamaraC

TamaraC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure its not just under different lighting?

I'm looking at blue spectrum lighting and dark rock vs. what seems like white spectrum lighting with light rock.

Fire urchin's blue spots fluoresce more in the blue spectrum if that's what you're referring to losing color.

Looks pretty healthy to me. Just be careful not to get stung this urchin in particular can be way more severe than your average long spine.
Part of that is the filter on my camera. I don’t remember how I took the first shot because I have several filters. The first shot was truest to coloring we saw. The lighting hasn’t changed much since the first picture. Now under blue lights in person, it looks like the second picture, slightly beached out. I’m going to do some research on whether potassium might play a role in its coloring.

OP
OP
TamaraC

TamaraC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Color is coming back since we started giving him clam. Thanks again for the tip. He looks great and is growing much faster than anticipated. He’s going to need a new home at some point.
IMG_7738.jpeg

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AFX
Back