Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take your readings with a grain of salt. Most pH probes are only accurate to about +/-0.2 in my opinion and most don't publish their accuracy. GHL claims +/-0.1 accuracy, but this may only be true in ideal laboratory conditions with a freshly professionally calibrated probe.

Avast
OP
OP
G

GAMGAM

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take your readings with a grain of salt. Most pH probes are only accurate to about +/-0.2 in my opinion and most don't publish their accuracy. GHL claims +/-0.1 accuracy, but this may only be true in ideal laboratory conditions with a freshly professionally calibrated probe.
True, but +- means it could be actually higher then it says. I calibrated the probe with fresh liquid so it should be pretty close.

I did like the pun. Lol

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
G

GAMGAM

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know if your pH is accurate, but if it is, more aeration with normal or higher CO2 air will reduce it.

The primary "risk" from elevated pH is increased precipitation of calcium carbonate on sand (hardening it), and on pumps, heaters, and anything else warm.

Some photosynthetic organisms, such as some macroalgae, use CO2 and those may suffer if pH is too high. I discuss that issue here:

Photosynthesis and the Reef Aquarium, Part I: Carbon Sources by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Relative rates of photosynthesis in seawater (measured by oxygen evolution) at pH 8.7 relative to pH 8.0. A value of 100 means that the rates were the same, and values below 100 indicate less photosynthesis at pH 8.7.

Species of macroalgae:
Relative photosynthesis at pH 8.7 compared to pH 8.1 (as a %):​
Chaetomorpha aerea
75​
Cladophora rupestris
100​
Enteromorpha compressa
67​
Ulva rigida
100​
Codium fragile
76​
Asparagopsis armata
45​
Gelidium pusillum
33​
Gelidium sesquipedale
18​
Gymnogongrus sp.
39​
Osmunda pinnatifida
46​
Porphyra leucosticta
110​
Fucus spiralis
86​
Colpomenia sinuosa
100​
Dictyota dichotoma
53​
Cystoseira tamariscifolia
57​
Padina pavonia
53​
Thanks for the reply Randy, that was an interesting article. Do we know much about the upper PH limit of some of the more common corals we keep (acropora, euphillia, gonipora).

you were right. My probe was reading about 0.15 high so i was only around 8.6- 8.65 at the peak (which is probably perfect) and not really in the danger zone.

I’ve had a hard time finding people who have had negative outcomes from intentionally and carefully increasing their PH (with an acceptable alk). I’ve heard of high PH “events” doing damage (say a kalk overdose) but never someone who was carefully pushing the edge, maybe that’s what Sean was alluding to is that you just can’t physically get it up their safely, and more importantly is there any benefit to doing so.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Randy, that was an interesting article. Do we know much about the upper PH limit of some of the more common corals we keep (acropora, euphillia, gonipora).

you were right. My probe was reading about 0.15 high so i was only around 8.6- 8.65 at the peak (which is probably perfect) and not really in the danger zone.

I’ve had a hard time finding people who have had negative outcomes from intentionally and carefully increasing their PH (with an acceptable alk). I’ve heard of high PH “events” doing damage (say a kalk overdose) but never someone who was carefully pushing the edge, maybe that’s what Sean was alluding to is that you just can’t physically get it up their safely, and more importantly is there any benefit to doing so.

The only thing I recall seeing studied in corals as a function of pH is calcification rate, not photosynthesis.

Reports of precipitation events (excessive demand for alk and calcium) are very common, and stopping pH boosting procedures (such as a CO2 scrubber, kalkwasser, etc.) are among the main things I recommend.

Here's a typical post of mine:

Once a calcium carbonate precipitation event is initiated (due to high alk and pH, for example), you need to break the cycle because the surfaces of any precipitate act as good seed crystals for more precipitation until something gets onto those surfaces and blocks further precipitation.

Here's my generic advice for such scenarios:

1. Stop all efforts to boost pH.
2. Stop dosing alk for a bit and let it decline.
3. Reduce pH by switching to a low pH alk mix like sodium bicarbonate, or a calcium organic such as Tropic Marin All for Reef.
4. Ensure magnesium is normal to high.
5. Keep organics and phosphate on the high side.

After a few days of not dosing alk, restart slowly, adding additives to a very high flow area so it mixes in fast.

Avast

djf91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you link the pH probe on here? Based off your first picture I think I have the same unit as you. Not only do these probes go out of calibration quickly but the probes themselves also go bad. If you have the same one I have. Mine currently reads 8.8, but when I first set it up it read 8.3. How long have you been using it for?

Top Shelf Aquatics

David_CO

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I travel alot for work so my house is regularly closed up for about a week at a time. after 3-4 days my PH seems to hit a "cap" at 8.55...it has consistently flatlined there as a max for the past 6 months when im gone.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Zoanthids.com
Back