Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 8.6 is as high as you should push it. I think it also helps to have a good device to measure pH levels. I’m using Reeffactory’s pH probe monitor and am pushing 8.5-8.6 by the end of photoperiod. It’s really good to be able to track with their monitor over the day to see where I can improve. I noticed a dip over night so increased my refugium lighting to help balance ph swings. Can see happier corals as a result.
How much is your ph dip over night ?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8.55 is still high. Probably 8.65-8.7 peak. Your not being helpful.
I am pointing out the obvious. Your numbers do not make sense. If that is not helpful then I am sorry.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
G

GAMGAM

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the false high was 8.75 the false low would be about 8.55 with my over night dosing.

Sean. The question was where are the ditches. I had a feeling my probe could be off by a bit, and I understand ph is logarithmic. But is 8.8 ph bad. I don’t want to be there but is it bad.

Corals.com

anthonymckay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8.55 is still high. Probably 8.65-8.7 peak. Your not being helpful.
I'm not sure what you want people to say considering no one else (at least that I've ever read/heard about) has ever had pH legitimately that high in their reef tank. Most people are ecstatic if they can push it up to 8.4 at the peak. There really just isn't much info on what the upper limit is for a reef tank because no one can ever get there.

OP
OP
G

GAMGAM

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say with a reasonable amount of kalkwasser (2L on 200g for me) (helps with overnight swings to the low side) a recirculating co2 scrubber (6-8 weeks for 2 kg media) anyone could be above 8.3 I bet. (Maybe not anyone but a large percentage)

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sean Clark So we can't be swinging to 8.7 peaks because of the logarithmic scaling?

Edit: oh the atmosphere simply doesn't permit it. Which is consistent with logarithmic scaling id say.
I won't break down anything here...
The lack of understanding of previous atmosphere reference is clear.
Not much that I can do here.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this answer and agree with it. I’m not trying to go crazy. I’m guessing my numbers are similar to yours in the 8.6’s. That seems good. Like ideal. I was really getting worried about it and was thinking about shutting off my skimmer with a ph controller to limit my ph. Now it’s just high. That’s good I think. Lol
If I was in that position, I would have a line bypassing the Co2 scrubber with a sulinoid on the controller to open that bupass when 8.5 is hit. Idk, maybe my idea on skimming is incorrect, but I like running it all but the 4ish hours I dose phyto.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you want people to say considering no one else (at least that I've ever read/heard about) has ever had pH legitimately that high in their reef tank. Most people are ecstatic if they can push it up to 8.4 at the peak. There really just isn't much info on what the upper limit is for a reef tank because no one can ever get there.
Install a properly or an oversized ERV on your house, and I guarantee you you will see above 8.4 daily.

OP
OP
G

GAMGAM

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say with a reasonable amount of kalkwasser (2L on 200g for me) (helps with overnight sings to the low side) a recirculating co2 scrubber (6-8 weeks for 2 kg media) anyone could be above 8.3 I bet.
If I was in that position, I would have a line bypassing the Co2 scrubber with a sulinoid on the controller to open that bupass when 8.5 is hit. Idk, maybe my idea on skimming is incorrect, but I like running it all but the 4ish hours I dose
If I was in that position, I would have a line bypassing the Co2 scrubber with a sulinoid on the controller to open that bupass when 8.5 is hit. Idk, maybe my idea on skimming is incorrect, but I like running it all but the 4ish hours I dose phyto.
I’ve seen the ph controller to a solinoid which opens. I just wonder if it’s better for co2 media life to just have the controller shut off the skimmer.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
G

GAMGAM

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't break down anything here...
The lack of understanding of previous atmosphere reference is clear.
Not much that I can do here.
Thanks for trying Sean. I appreciate your sincere effort

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say with a reasonable amount of kalkwasser (2L on 200g for me) (helps with overnight sings to the low side) a recirculating co2 scrubber (6-8 weeks for 2 kg media) anyone could be above 8.3 I bet.

I’ve seen the ph controller to a solinoid which opens. I just wonder if it’s better for co2 media life to just have the controller shut off the skimmer.
For recircullating you might be right. It will probablt deplete at a higher rate being bypassed than it would being off.

I jome made my scrubber, i might bebefit from making it recirculating, but my reefoctopus has so many holes on the lid i didn't bother figuring it out. Now I might. My media burns out in a week, buying a 3kg bag once a month.

OP
OP
G

GAMGAM

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For recircullating you might be right. It will probablt deplete at a higher rate being bypassed than it would being off.

I jome made my scrubber, i might bebefit from making it recirculating, but my reefoctopus has so many holes on the lid i didn't bother figuring it out. Now I might. My media burns out in a week, buying a 3kg bag once a month.
I also have a reef octopus and I just taped off the holes In the lid. Check out my build thread. You just need a knockout for liquids and a skimmer collector for an overflow safety. And the media life more then doubles

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GAMGAM

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sean Clark So we can't be swinging to 8.7 peaks because of the logarithmic scaling?

Edit: oh the atmosphere simply doesn't permit it. Which is consistent with logarithmic scaling id say.
What I think he’s saying because of all the sources of atmospheric co2 ( surface of air water interface of display and sump as well as the overflow splash and syphon line down to sump) co2 will still work very hard to equalize the tank levels with atmospheric levels no matter the skimmer/scrubber effect.

this reduces the potential upper limit of PH for a given alkalinity no matter what.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal pH fluctuations on a healthy IndoPacific reef is 8.3 - 7.8.

Because you are stripping out CO2, your pH in your system is abnormally high. Considering that CO2 dissolves in water to contribute to alkalinity which when combined with photosynthesis forms glucose which is carbon for the reef, why remove co2 as your source of alkalinity only to add it back with limewater.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you all are too focused on discounting the PH number. With the recirculating co2 scrubber, the 2L of kalkwasser, the soda ash, and the stupid algae anyone could have high PH, but where is the danger with high stable PH.

I do not know if your pH is accurate, but if it is, more aeration with normal or higher CO2 air will reduce it.

The primary "risk" from elevated pH is increased precipitation of calcium carbonate on sand (hardening it), and on pumps, heaters, and anything else warm.

Some photosynthetic organisms, such as some macroalgae, use CO2 and those may suffer if pH is too high. I discuss that issue here:

Photosynthesis and the Reef Aquarium, Part I: Carbon Sources by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Relative rates of photosynthesis in seawater (measured by oxygen evolution) at pH 8.7 relative to pH 8.0. A value of 100 means that the rates were the same, and values below 100 indicate less photosynthesis at pH 8.7.

Species of macroalgae:
Relative photosynthesis at pH 8.7 compared to pH 8.1 (as a %):​
Chaetomorpha aerea
75​
Cladophora rupestris
100​
Enteromorpha compressa
67​
Ulva rigida
100​
Codium fragile
76​
Asparagopsis armata
45​
Gelidium pusillum
33​
Gelidium sesquipedale
18​
Gymnogongrus sp.
39​
Osmunda pinnatifida
46​
Porphyra leucosticta
110​
Fucus spiralis
86​
Colpomenia sinuosa
100​
Dictyota dichotoma
53​
Cystoseira tamariscifolia
57​
Padina pavonia
53​

Last edited:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Champion Lighting & Supply
Back