Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to think this was the problem but I've moved torches hammers etc there all in different spots. If I put a torch in high light, in de Shadow don't matter it will still close on the exact same times same goes for flow.
Recent move?
How long you had them?
Mine super hate any move once happy.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
No problem I live in the Netherlands so it's evening now.
today I put carbon in there but doesn't seem to work today :(
Here are some pictures.

The two torches on the picture are affected most by it and are the only two closing today (probably because of the carbon)

They are now at the stage that they are starting to close or open because they close even more than this.

I myself am 15 years old with alot of research. Me and my 22 year old brother have this reef tank.

I would also like to add that raising temperature seems to work. Previous I've had problems with dinoflagellates toxic variant and raising temperature seemed to work.

so I tried it with this issue and it also seemed to work but when the temperature is down to normal it will slowly start to increase again. Someone said to me that increased temperature of reef tank increases gas exchange? I sadly don't know what it really means because I can't translate it well enough to understand.

IMG20240808231905.jpg IMG20240808231840.jpg IMG20240808231856.jpg
Any change in lighting or flow?
If not, take a look at your Phosphate, salinity and calcium levels to see if any have become elevated.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely suspect it has to do with the microbiome. Have you tried treating with iodine? Studies show that the coral holobiont recovers its natural microbiome very quickly following iodine treatment. It could also be the sponge mentioned. I think you should do what you can to remove it as much as possible as well.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings, just finished reading your entire post with all chiming in. This was my journey just over 10 years ago. My daughter was over yesterday and I reminded her of this huge $50 Goni she had bought me. It looked phenomenal at the lfs but adding to my tank turned out to be certain death. Leading up to that not only gonioporas but Clams as well would die a slow death over a period of weeks.
I had in the tank Zoanthids, Sinularius, (large) also Ricordea Floridas, and Rhodactis to name some of my most potent softies.
I , like yourself was frustrated. Knowing instinctively something was wrong. Two things saved me 1. My gut feeling that toxins were the culprit and my purchasing a new and larger tank that could assist me in changing the course of my not so healthy tank. I committed to getting rid of many of the (often touching) soft corals and the ones that I chose to keep I would make every effort to keep at a distance from other corals. Toxins can’t be seen or be tested for. Say that a few times, I’m not interested having that as a part of my reefing journey. All is very good on my end. My 40 or so sps coral, 8 or so Ricordeas, one large Tyree green ts leather and 4 very happy and colorful gonioporas are doing great. That move a decade ago completely changed everything. Carbon and water changes are your friends. I, as a precaution do it religiously. Good luck.

OP
OP
morrisDR

morrisDR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely suspect it has to do with the microbiome. Have you tried treating with iodine? Studies show that the coral holobiont recovers its natural microbiome very quickly following iodine treatment. It could also be the sponge mentioned. I think you should do what you can to remove it as much as possible as well.
Hey I do have seachem iodine dip. But it did not really do anything.

So the sponge is under a rock that's not easily removed. I was planning to just scrape it off but then I came across reef2reef posts saying people did this and their fish and coral died because of the poison some sponges contain.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I do have seachem iodine dip. But it did not really do anything.

So the sponge is under a rock that's not easily removed. I was planning to just scrape it off but then I came across reef2reef posts saying people did this and their fish and coral died because of the poison some sponges contain.
Thats very true that certain sponges contain and release toxins that can harm corals and if you really cant remove it, I'd personally transfer the corals to a new tank. I know thats not easy or pleasant but it might be the best option you have.

OP
OP
morrisDR

morrisDR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings, just finished reading your entire post with all chiming in. This was my journey just over 10 years ago. My daughter was over yesterday and I reminded her of this huge $50 Goni she had bought me. It looked phenomenal at the lfs but adding to my tank turned out to be certain death. Leading up to that not only gonioporas but Clams as well would die a slow death over a period of weeks.
I had in the tank Zoanthids, Sinularius, (large) also Ricordea Floridas, and Rhodactis to name some of my most potent softies.
I , like yourself was frustrated. Knowing instinctively something was wrong. Two things saved me 1. My gut feeling that toxins were the culprit and my purchasing a new and larger tank that could assist me in changing the course of my not so healthy tank. I committed to getting rid of many of the (often touching) soft corals and the ones that I chose to keep I would make every effort to keep at a distance from other corals. Toxins can’t be seen or be tested for. Say that a few times, I’m not interested having that as a part of my reefing journey. All is very good on my end. My 40 or so sps coral, 8 or so Ricordeas, one large Tyree green ts leather and 4 very happy and colorful gonioporas are doing great. That move a decade ago completely changed everything. Carbon and water changes are your friends. I, as a precaution do it religiously. Good luck.
Thx the weird thing is. I OWN A CLAM. You would ofcourse say that this thing would die immediately but it doesn't show any signs of dying and I have had dit for 2-3 years. I have two soft corals in my tank a gorgonian and finger leather of some sort.

OP
OP
morrisDR

morrisDR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats very true that certain sponges contain and release toxins that can harm corals and if you really cant remove it, I'd personally transfer the corals to a new tank. I know thats not easy or pleasant but it might be the best option you have.
Sadly I'm 15 years old and my brother is 22 years old. We live with our parents and cannot afford a new tank. The house we live in is close to a city so not very big so it would also be a huge mess 2 aquarium in a small house .

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thx the weird thing is. I OWN A CLAM. You would ofcourse say that this thing would die immediately but it doesn't show any signs of dying and I have had dit for 2-3 years. I have two soft corals in my tank a gorgonian and finger leather of some sort.
Leathers will release low level toxins known as terpenes but often controlled with high grade carbon or chemiPure

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I'm 15 years old and my brother is 22 years old. We live with our parents and cannot afford a new tank. The house we live in is close to a city so not very big so it would also be a huge mess 2 aquarium in a small house .
I recently broke down a couple of my tanks and would happily gjve you a great deal on all the equipment and anything else you need but the shipping cost would probably be exorbitant.

OP
OP
morrisDR

morrisDR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently broke down a couple of my tanks and would happily gjve you a great deal on all the equipment and anything else you need but the shipping cost would probably be exorbitant.
That's true hahah I also need some other things fixed like Ai Hydra 64Hd replacement lenses. Guess what in US it's 4 dollars a lens in the Netherlands it's 20 euros a lens that's like 160 euros for all 8 lenses! Already messaged aqua illumination if they couldn't just send it via postal service but they said no.

OP
OP
morrisDR

morrisDR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here some pictures of the suspects

Leather coral 1:

IMG20240809164611.jpg

Leather coral. 2 (gorgonian):
IMG20240809164616.jpg

Black sponge (can't get a good picture but it's bigger than it looks):
IMG20240809164644.jpg
IMG_20240809_164729.jpg

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's true hahah I also need some other things fixed like Ai Hydra 64Hd replacement lenses. Guess what in US it's 4 dollars a lens in the Netherlands it's 20 euros a lens that's like 160 euros for all 8 lenses! Already messaged aqua illumination if they couldn't just send it via postal service but they said no.
Im in Thailand though and have spare equipment I dont have much use for...the shipping wouldn't be cheap though. I even have a spare Noopsyche K7 Mini I dont have use for now

OP
OP
morrisDR

morrisDR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in Thailand though and have spare equipment I dont have much use for...the shipping wouldn't be cheap though. I even have a spare Noopsyche K7 Mini I dont have use for now
I'm good but thank you for your support. My lightning is still fine but the lens for UV is burned. You would say that expensive lights like hydra 64HD would sell better lenses.....

OP
OP
morrisDR

morrisDR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm thinking of doing this but I will have to be careful well not me my brother will be performing it .

I'm still afraid that toxins will just escape but it seems safe.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back