Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like sometimes we buy a fish, and are unsure about, but we are surprised with how it acts. Maybe the fish acts friendly with all the other fish in the tank, or maybe it becomes aggressive with other fish. I am wondering what is a fish that has surprised you the most?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before buying one, I had never seen anything about coral beauties (or any dwarf angels) being algae eaters. I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw it start going to town on the algae in my tank. It’s more valuable CUC than my snails.

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before buying one, I had never seen anything about coral beauties (or any dwarf angels) being algae eaters. I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw it start going to town on the algae in my tank. It’s more valuable CUC than my snails.
I've had the same experience with a flame angel I added a month ago. It grazes along with the yellow tang.

Nutramar Foods

nuxx

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bandit Angel...

I was never an angel lover, but that fish quickly became my favorite. That's with pretty much having all my grail fish minus a Sohal Tang (too big / aggressive), Zebra Tang (couldn't get back then) and Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse (tried four times :( ).

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bandit Angel...

I was never an angel lover, but that fish quickly became my favorite. That's with pretty much having all my grail fish minus a Sohal Tang (too big / aggressive), Zebra Tang (couldn't get back then) and Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse (tried four times :( ).

Amazing looking fish! Always loved the way those angels looked

xWascallyWabbit

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I got this little guy on a whim knowing it would be a good fit. Kind of just a random fish in the tank. Nothing special. Turns out it's my favorite fish. Constantly looking at me and interactive. Perches just about everywhere, has a great personality, and eats like a little pig. I'd reccomend a long nose hawkfish anyday.
20230428_204625.jpg
20230225_110851.jpg

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I got this little guy on a whim knowing it would be a good fit. Kind of just a random fish in the tank. Nothing special. Turns out it's my favorite fish. Constantly looking at me and interactive. Perches just about everywhere, has a great personality, and eats like a little pig. I'd reccomend a long nose hawkfish anyday. View attachment 3158686View attachment 3158688
Always loved hawk fishes, they have such a unique look to them

agreenberg77

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I got this little guy on a whim knowing it would be a good fit. Kind of just a random fish in the tank. Nothing special. Turns out it's my favorite fish. Constantly looking at me and interactive. Perches just about everywhere, has a great personality, and eats like a little pig. I'd reccomend a long nose hawkfish anyday. View attachment 3158686View attachment 3158688
mine just jumped out of the tank yesterday when i wasnt there and died. I've never heard of them jumping. Only had him a couple of weeks, and he was doing so well. I'm so dang bummed

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

littlefoxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like sometimes we buy a fish, and are unsure about, but we are surprised with how it acts. Maybe the fish acts friendly with all the other fish in the tank, or maybe it becomes aggressive with other fish. I am wondering what is a fish that has surprised you the most?

mine just jumped out of the tank yesterday when i wasnt there and died. I've never heard of them jumping. Only had him a couple of weeks, and he was doing so well. I'm so dang bummed
My maroon clownfish! She was on sale for 15 dollars (shes like 3 inches). When I asked about her, the LFS said she was a surrender and the guy who brought her in said she killed a full size yellow and blue tang. I was undecided but shes so beautiful and Ive always been drawn to maroons despite the rep they get! So I got her. She is the nicest fish I have, wants to be friends with all the other fish in the tank! She loves when I come up to the tank and will proceed to show off! She also digs… Im not sure she knows shes a clownfish and supposed to be mean! She also has claimed all 5 nems in my tank as hers. She really surprised me given how people on here say maroons are evil and what the guy at the store said about her! She even greets new fish in the tank by going up to them and swimming side by side.

Attachments

• 1BB41538-2943-4CC0-8C9D-4AF2FA26EA99.jpeg
    1BB41538-2943-4CC0-8C9D-4AF2FA26EA99.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 1ACB2DA8-DC5F-4BEB-A882-16F4E310B6CB.jpeg
    1ACB2DA8-DC5F-4BEB-A882-16F4E310B6CB.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 8D466254-351A-48CA-ADA4-EF0651A03BEA.jpeg
    8D466254-351A-48CA-ADA4-EF0651A03BEA.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 4C929F22-75E0-4CAE-B891-5B7EA08CDC65.jpeg
    4C929F22-75E0-4CAE-B891-5B7EA08CDC65.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 27

ARGYGANG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dog face puffer surprises me the most, you see people post about dog faces eating coral/eating fish but I keep mine with softies and nems and he doesn’t touch a thing, I also keep him with very small pajama cardinals and he ignored them completely he is my model citizen for sure. He also surprises me with his personality and how friendly he is he is the only fish I’ve ever seen who communicates with a smile/facial expression what food he wants. Smile for clams, and sticking his beak out of the water for krill. He will actively refuse the other if he is asking for one and I’ve figured him out through trial and error.

Attachments

• IMG_4875.jpeg
    IMG_4875.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 27

ARGYGANG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My maroon clownfish! She was on sale for 15 dollars (shes like 3 inches). When I asked about her, the LFS said she was a surrender and the guy who brought her in said she killed a full size yellow and blue tang. I was undecided but shes so beautiful and Ive always been drawn to maroons despite the rep they get! So I got her. She is the nicest fish I have, wants to be friends with all the other fish in the tank! She loves when I come up to the tank and will proceed to show off! She also digs… Im not sure she knows shes a clownfish and supposed to be mean! She also has claimed all 5 nems in my tank as hers. She really surprised me given how people on here say maroons are evil and what the guy at the store said about her! She even greets new fish in the tank by going up to them and swimming side by side.
Same boat as my maroon they are the pitbulls of the hobby in my opinion, few give the many a bad rep.

littlefoxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same boat as my maroon they are the pitbulls of the hobby in my opinion, few give the many a bad rep.
Do you have one or a pair? Im trying to pair my female with a gold nugget maroon! He just hangs at the top of the tank still. Been about 4 months

MaxM

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My maroon is nice to all other fish unless they are another maroon. She's killed two prospective mates.

Top Shelf Aquatics

jayman19

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo tang. Read they were very sensitive but the ones I’ve had are extremely hardy. Most recent one was stuck under a rock for 9 days. Thought it got eaten by my dog. Found a slice of blue one night. She looked so rough I definitely thought she would die. Next day was a bit spooked but ate like a pig. 3 days later all the cuts and scrapes from the rocks were healed. These fish have a strong Will to live in my experience

Joe.D

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Whitetail Bristletooth Tang is a bit of a bully. Got a One Spot Foxface and the Tang went after the Foxface and then the dorsal display backed him off. The Foxface became buddies with the Solar Wrasse for awhile. Now, the Tang and the Foxface graze together and swim together, side by side.

I was also surprised at how much I like my Diamond Goby. My thought process when buying it was of a utilitarian fish - keeping the sand clean. To my surprise, that was correct, but what a cool personality to go along with that!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back