What do I need to do to get coralline algae to grow like this?

BRS

Do you struggle with growing coralline (pink) algae?

• Yes

Votes: 246 30.9%
  • No

Votes: 411 51.7%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 138 17.4%

• Total voters

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice is keep all parameters at or slightly above nsw.

Also coraline loves certain plastics. No idea.

It also needs magnesium and I've noticed strontium is something that makes it grow.

I used to get good growth with ozone use. The ozone destroys humic compounds and iirc that inhibits coraline algae.

Actually here is a quote from the article:

"
As Berner et al. (1978) showed that humic substances can inhibit inorganic
precipitation of calcium carbonate, we demonstrated that fulvic and humic acids isolated
from forest soils inhibited germination of crustose coralline algal spores (Fig. 4). Fulvic 21 acid completely destroyed tetraspores of Lithophyllum spp. at 5 mg C l after 3 days
incubation"

And lots of fish food has flour in it. Flour is like saying humic and fulvic imo. So the cause of some species of corraline algae not growing is from humic and fulvic acids in fish food imo.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sour...FjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw2BAb-vD6vqxwncj3OhmbgG

Last edited:

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what that means is if you want corraline algae to grow, you gotta keep out things that make the water yellow, like humic and fulvic acids. Thus ozone and activated carbon and strong protein skimmers will all help it to grow.

What I find interesting is where they said completely destroyed spores of a certain corraline species.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the kent marine purple tech bottle on the back of it, it says recommended parameters for coralline algae growth.
KentMarinePurpleTech.jpg

Has someone had success with growing coralline algae at a ph of 8.0?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
Mine really took off with regular water changes.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will normally start to see coralline spots showing up between 3-6 months after a new tank has cycled, with live rock. If dry is used it will take longer and coralline will need to be introduced either on a snail, frag or a piece of seed live rock. For me it seems to come and go for a while as well then one day it will just take a stable hold in the system.

Nick30G

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks almost a year old now... dont have any trace what so ever of coraline. I really wish I could grow some. A few corals from my lfs have coraline on them. Any suggestions I really want coraline algae. I have Marco rocks dry rock and am running leds.

Last edited:

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the kent marine purple tech bottle on the back of it, it says recommended parameters for coralline algae growth.
Has someone had success with growing coralline algae at a ph of 8.0?
I think the point the bottle instruction is making, it not that you need PH of 8 to grow coralline.
It's just that the Product will raise your PH.
When lights are off at night, PH drifts lower, so it's best time to add the product. To even things out across a full 24 hour day.
Proper ALK, CALCIUM and Magnesium is what Coralline needs most. And that's exactly what the bottle has inside.
Note: It says not to use Purple Tech if you are already adding the Main Three with Dosing, or other Additives.

Swoody

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I do not have a problem with is growing Coraline I will gladly send people chips or scrapings of mine. I have to really stay up on keeping my back glass clean and the sides the rocks it is what it is....even my gravel bed grows Coraline. The clear rock in the center which is actually to the right in this picture has only been in the tank for three weeks and is already growing Coraline.

208C4A26-8DE7-4BD7-9024-4DAF3D404614.jpeg

mr9iron

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I do not have a problem with is growing Coraline I will gladly send people chips or scrapings of mine. I have to really stay up on keeping my back glass clean and the sides the rocks it is what it is....even my gravel bed grows Coraline. The clear rock in the center which is actually to the right in this picture has only been in the tank for three weeks and is already growing Coraline.

View attachment 870309
Swoody,

If you are serious about sending chips of coralline algae I would love to have some. I am trying to seed my Nuvo 20 with coralline as i have zero growth. The tank has been set up for almost a year and started with dry rock.

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually thinking about this today. Everything in my tank is getting covered with this stuff. Not sure why it goes nuts in my tank. My tank is only a few months old, I don't dose and I do water changes about monthly.

Swoody

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swoody,

If you are serious about sending chips of coralline algae I would love to have some. I am trying to seed my Nuvo 20 with coralline as i have zero growth. The tank has been set up for almost a year and started with dry rock.

Private message me I will get something out to you real quick as I’m heading back up to Alaska at the end of this week. You can PayPal me the shipping charges I don’t know that it needs to go overnight I have no idea how it lives but I’ll put it together in a frag plastic bag double it up and give you some nice pieces and give it to you for free ...you pay shipping of your choice

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have put some in there. Do you know if it is possible for coralline algae to grow without putting it in the tank?

The rock from my scape isn’t even in water and it’s starting to grow on it. It’s sitting in a dark basement right now. It’s starting to have pink and purple spots.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First pic is my tank about 6 months old and second is last week when I got my first corals. Starting with live rock definitely makes a difference. I am currently part of the"tired of scraping it off the glass" club! The only thing that keeps it under control is my two urchins that eat it constantly. I have never dosed anything, just weekly water changes and I'm running ocean revive LEDs.
IMG_20170617_153209.jpeg
IMG_20181017_144450.jpeg

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Hanna
Back