What diseases can last on a fish the longest?

fishywishy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do a observational quarantine for 76 days and only dose the tank with prazi pro to get rid of and flukes because i heard they last the longest on fish, but could harsh parasites like brook, velvet, ich, and internal parasites survive or lay dormant on a fish without the fish showing symptoms for that amount of time and what diseases can last the longest on fish?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody really knows, (but a lot of people guess about this) that's why I don't recommend purely observation quarantine except for certain delicate species like flashlight fish and dragonets that cannot be easily managed through a regular quarantine.

Flukes can exist on fish, unseen, as chronic infections for literally years. Then, if something stresses those fish out, or you add new fish to the tank, the infection can become acute and you see disease symptoms. I've had ich show up 6 months after the last fish was added to a system, so I know it can remain as a chronic infection for at least that long. Amyloodinium (velvet) probably does not remain as a chronic infection for nearly as long. Brooklynella and Uronema almost always show up only in new fish, so your 76 days should be good for those two.

Jay

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My guess would be ich and worms/flukes

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody really knows, (but a lot of people guess about this) that's why I don't recommend purely observation quarantine except for certain delicate species like flashlight fish and dragonets that cannot be easily managed through a regular quarantine.

Flukes can exist on fish, unseen, as chronic infections for literally years. Then, if something stresses those fish out, or you add new fish to the tank, the infection can become acute and you see disease symptoms. I've had ich show up 6 months after the last fish was added to a system, so I know it can remain as a chronic infection for at least that long. Amyloodinium (velvet) probably does not remain as a chronic infection for nearly as long. Brooklynella and Uronema almost always show up only in new fish, so your 76 days should be good for those two.

Jay
How long would velvet last? And will prazi pro kill flukes?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody knows for sure about velvet, probably 45 days without a host.

Prazipro treats flukes, but because it does not kill unmatched eggs, multiple treatments are needed - usually two or three spaced 8 days apart.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody knows for sure about velvet, probably 45 days without a host.

Prazipro treats flukes, but because it does not kill unmatched eggs, multiple treatments are needed - usually two or three spaced 8 days apart.

Jay
What will kill the unmatched eggs and would copper kill flukes?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will kill the unmatched eggs and would copper kill flukes?
Nothing kills the unlatched eggs that won’t also kill the fish. Luckily, the eggs can’t last forever without hatching. If they hatch and don’t find a host, the larva dies rapidly. Any larva that hatch with prazi in the water die. Copper just doesn’t work on flukes.
Jay

Upvote 0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet will outlast your observation only qt until it kills the fish and has no host.

Why did you choose 76 days for observational qt? That's the (long) FALLOW period aka Fishless for crypto. If you've got the fish in the quarantine, it isn't hostless/fallow and the parasite could very well be present at day 576 much less 76.

Observation doesn't guarantee a fish is free of ick/velvet any more than a small spoon will help someone lose weight. It just tells you the infection is not showing rapidly. Any stress triggers can change that quickly.

Moving a fish from qt into a display tank is a stress trigger. Go figure.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet will outlast your observation only qt until it kills the fish and has no host.

Why did you choose 76 days for observational qt? That's the (long) FALLOW period aka Fishless for crypto. If you've got the fish in the quarantine, it isn't hostless/fallow and the parasite could very well be present at day 576 much less 76.

Observation doesn't guarantee a fish is free of ick/velvet any more than a small spoon will help someone lose weight. It just tells you the infection is not showing rapidly. Any stress triggers can change that quickly.

Moving a fish from qt into a display tank is a stress trigger. Go figure.
Just curious is 76 days fallow long enough for things like ich and velvet to die?

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pacific East
Back