What are the consequences when pH is too high?

crvz

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH has been hitting 8.6 - 8.7 per my pH probes (I have two in the tank, and they are about 0.1 pH different but consistently measuring that peak during the day). I have a relatively large system at about 450 gallons, and I use BRS 2 part dosing for the SPS heavy tank. I'm using about 300mL of the soda ash mixture and 240mL of calcium chloride to keep the values at around 8.75 dKh and 425ppm respectively. I switched to this about 15 months ago after having the opposite problem; running a calcium reactor to keep up with demand was depleting pH, and I was struggling to get it over about 8.1.

The aquarium is in a closed up room in the garage with its own AC, and the room is about 150 square feet, and while pretty well aerated given the various pumps and protein skimmer, that room doesn't get a lot of air turnover.

Do I believe the 8.6 pH value? I have my doubts. I should probably recalibrate the probes, but given the large volume of soda ash dosing each day it may not be totally unreasonable. So what are the consequences if it is that high? The corals seem to be doing well, growth is pretty good for my experience and I've no complaints.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be surprised if that pH is accurate, but if it is, aeration will lower it.

The main problem is excessive precipitation of calcium carbonate.

World Wide Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Inkbird
Back