Waterbox Marine X 60.2 - First Reef

KyleW22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, figured I might as well start a build thread! After several years of dreaming of setting up a reef tank, it’s finally here. This will be a work in progress, but I’ll try to post updates as we complete the major steps.

Choosing the tank:
We knew we wanted a small footprint to fit the space, but for sure wanted a sump instead of AIO. I started browsing marketplace for a few weeks, while also looking at all the local stores nearby looking for the perfect setup. I ended up finding a sweet deal on a Waterbox Marine X 60.2 that had been set up for about a year and decided to jump on it. Planning on starting to fill it around the end of the month after we are done traveling for a while.

Equipment:
I actually started looking for equipment a while back, watching for sales and lightly used gear. Gear plans:

Lights: AI Hydra 32
Tank controller: Hydros X4/XP8 pro pack, along with their auto feeder and auto top off. (Got this from the same seller as the tank for more than half off retail, score!)
Return Pump: Nyos Viper 3.0 (along with a spare pump)
Heater: 2 Eheim Jager 125W heaters. Will hook these up to an Inkbird controller.
Powerheads: Undecided, but thinking about Jebao SLW-20s to save some money
Protein Skimmer: Also undecided. Right now I’m between the Bubble Magus Curve 5, or possibly save a little more and get a Reef Octo 110SSS.
Testing: Hanna Marine Master (got this from a local guy who used it once before breaking down his tank).
RO/DI Unit: BRS 5 Stage Premium Plus 75 GPD

Wants: Eventually I want to add a fleece roller, but that will likely be down the road some.

Plans for the tank:
We are planning on using Caribsea life rock, we both have ideas in our heads on how we want to build it out, excited to see what we come up with that checks all of our boxes.

We actually haven’t settled on exactly what fish we want yet, that’s our next step to start researching and planning out. Comment your favorite fish for a beginner!

We are also planning on a mixed reef. Comment your favorite corals for beginners!

Thanks for reading and I look forward to sharing our progress. Also open to any input and advice!

IMG_8417.jpeg

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Looking forward to following along.

Favorite fish - Tailspot Blenny
Beginner corals - Candy Cane, Duncan

OP
OP
K

KyleW22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked on the rockscape this weekend. LFS had a good sale on it and I couldn’t resist starting to build. Pictures coming once complete!

Originally was planning on the Jebao SLW20, but now I’m thinking about switching to Jecod DMP20s to avoid wires in the tank

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back