Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, it could be, if the algae has consumed it faster than it's being added.
not for long as it would starve ... but say his ro/di topoff water has phosphates ,, it would do just as you suggest, now wouldnt it... i bet his tds meter is bad and his ro membrane needs to be replaced
hard to really tell, i would definately be checking to make sure all paramters are really in line..

for all we know his salinity is 1.022... or 1.026 could be lots of things.. i tend to try to try to make sure any numbers being used are at a known baseline first.

Avast

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you just going to sit down and cry about it now? A lot of us have tried to help you in your dozens and dozens of posts. You are a beginner reefer who had no patience and tried to do things way to fast and every time it didn't work out you over reacted and compounded the problem to a worse state. Now you come on to whine and deflect blame to others for your troubles and coral losses.

Got news for you, every new, novice and even experienced reefers hit hurdles in this hobby and a good percentage of them work through those hurdles and move on to the next phase with their tanks. Everyone here has had all the algae problems you have and some more then once or twice but they don't whine and blame others.

Let this sink in. Your tank is still new. The first year is rough with ugly phases and inexperienced reefers should not be spending a lot of money on corals the first year but focus on bringing stability to their tank and caring for their fish. You need to better educate yourself to the reefing hobby and learn patience not over reacting and screaming emergency on every little issue.

Yes your tank is a complete mess now but it is also completely fixable and if you follow some of the steps that very experienced reefers give you it will be fixed. Not overnight or next week but think 2 maybe 4 months as long as you do your part with water changes. Regular testing and focused on stability in the water, proper lighting and flow.
This, so this. I stopped reading his post after realizing he won't take valid advice.

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add that it's important to understand as a public forum not to take everyone's word as gospel. There are hundreds of reefers on here with decades of experience and typically advice will be correct for your situation. However, everyone's tank is unique and you know your parameters, stocking, and maintenance routine better than any of us.
In my opinion the bigger takeaway is that there is no one panacea for any reef issue and sometimes tackling the issue requires multiple approaches, or changes in your husbandry discipline. Forums are great but sometimes you can get piled with slightly different answers that can leave you astray. I would suggest picking a range of parameters you feel comfortable with and confident you can keep stable that are appropriate for your setup and do your best to stay in those ranges, rather than picking an arbitrary point to start acting aggressively. Nutrients in particular require caution as your livestock can become acclimated to heavier nutrient load, which can cause issues if they are lowered too quickly.

I say all this as a 2yr reefer (more time in freshwater) so incorporate my suggestions but don't take it as gospel; this is a forum and not an absolute authority on correct approaches (barring some chemical/mathematical stuff that is unequivocally correct by its nature).
However, if multiple people are suggesting the same thing, there is likely validity to their suggestions.
Fwiw my brother watched my tank on vacation. Came back to dinos/diatoms/hair algae explosion and spiked salinity. 1 yr later and my tank is thriving. You can get your tank back on the rails with some patience and discipline. It took some time before I was happy with it but this hobby is not for you if you don't have some level of persistence and patience.

pepper89

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add that it's important to understand as a public forum not to take everyone's word as gospel. There are hundreds of reefers on here with decades of experience and typically advice will be correct for your situation. However, everyone's tank is unique and you know your parameters, stocking, and maintenance routine better than any of us.
In my opinion the bigger takeaway is that there is no one panacea for any reef issue and sometimes tackling the issue requires multiple approaches, or changes in your husbandry discipline. Forums are great but sometimes you can get piled with slightly different answers that can leave you astray. I would suggest picking a range of parameters you feel comfortable with and confident you can keep stable that are appropriate for your setup and do your best to stay in those ranges, rather than picking an arbitrary point to start acting aggressively. Nutrients in particular require caution as your livestock can become acclimated to heavier nutrient load, which can cause issues if they are lowered too quickly.

I say all this as a 2yr reefer (more time in freshwater) so incorporate my suggestions but don't take it as gospel; this is a forum and not an absolute authority on correct approaches (barring some chemical/mathematical stuff that is unequivocally correct by its nature).
However, if multiple people are suggesting the same thing, there is likely validity to their suggestions.
Fwiw my brother watched my tank on vacation. Came back to dinos/diatoms/hair algae explosion and spiked salinity. 1 yr later and my tank is thriving. You can get your tank back on the rails with some patience and discipline. It took some time before I was happy with it but this hobby is not for you if you don't have some level of persistence and patience.

This is hard to diagnose something from just people's words. A lot is going on in a tank, and minor changes to setup or care can significantly change the chemistry and bacteria of the tank makeup. I've never done a reef tank personally, but I've had tons of freshwater tanks, and I have watched tons of tank journies between builds here and on youtube and BRS stuff. And it seems like minor things can set things on the right track or off the right way, and you have to make minor adjustments and be patient. The only exceptions are equipment failures that might need immediate/fast changes. Mostly though, if things are going well, you should probably just leave them be, and let things settle things naturally.

pepper89

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry, that was phrased weirdly. I mean to say This! Like I agree, and then say "it is also hard to diagnose from people's words" lol, but Grammarly changed it up more than i realized.

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, that was phrased weirdly. I mean to say This! Like I agree, and then say "it is also hard to diagnose from people's words" lol, but Grammarly changed it up more than i realized.
You're fine! I got the jist. I agree.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
charbel101

charbel101

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not for long as it would starve ... but say his ro/di topoff water has phosphates ,, it would do just as you suggest, now wouldnt it... i bet his tds meter is bad and his ro membrane needs to be replaced
hard to really tell, i would definately be checking to make sure all paramters are really in line..

for all we know his salinity is 1.022... or 1.026 could be lots of things.. i tend to try to try to make sure any numbers being used are at a known baseline first.
Okay. How do i go about this? What tds pen do you recommend? How do i know my ro membrance in a good shape? I changed the carbon, and the other sponges on my brs 6 stage unit. But i didnt change DI yet

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. How do i go about this? What tds pen do you recommend? How do i know my ro membrance in a good shape? I changed the carbon, and the other sponges on my brs 6 stage unit. But i didnt change DI yet
Off to buy more stuff....

Charbel101, try this if you have more than 1 inline meter, switch them. Put the after membrane one after the di, AND, the after di one after the membrane.

This will tell you if one or the other are bad.
If you get the exact same readings then they are good. If your now after di one is giving you a higher reading then it was/is bad.
Dose this make sense? Just swap them and see if the readings are different.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
charbel101

charbel101

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off to buy more stuff....

Charbel101, try this if you have more than 1 inline meter, switch them. Put the after membrane one after the di, AND, the after di one after the membrane.

This will tell you if one or the other are bad.
If you get the exact same readings then they are good. If your now after di one is giving you a higher reading then it was/is bad.
Dose this make sense? Just swap them and see if the readings are different.
No i only have 1 inline meter. I dont have more than 1

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
charbel101

charbel101

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230209_185956_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230209_185956_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 18
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Icryhard

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you just going to sit down and cry about it now? A lot of us have tried to help you in your dozens and dozens of posts. You are a beginner reefer who had no patience and tried to do things way to fast and every time it didn't work out you over reacted and compounded the problem to a worse state. Now you come on to whine and deflect blame to others for your troubles and coral losses.

Got news for you, every new, novice and even experienced reefers hit hurdles in this hobby and a good percentage of them work through those hurdles and move on to the next phase with their tanks. Everyone here has had all the algae problems you have and some more then once or twice but they don't whine and blame others.

Let this sink in. Your tank is still new. The first year is rough with ugly phases and inexperienced reefers should not be spending a lot of money on corals the first year but focus on bringing stability to their tank and caring for their fish. You need to better educate yourself to the reefing hobby and learn patience not over reacting and screaming emergency on every little issue.

Yes your tank is a complete mess now but it is also completely fixable and if you follow some of the steps that very experienced reefers give you it will be fixed. Not overnight or next week but think 2 maybe 4 months as long as you do your part with water changes. Regular testing and focused on stability in the water, proper lighting and flow.
Who ticked in your cup of tea? He isn't crying nor deflecting blame. He did what every novice does and that is overreacting and making things worse. He now has given some insight to his mistakes and has given the advice every experienced reefer would give, which is: Don't chase numbers. It's really unlucky to see people like you, regardless of subject and discipline. Some salty person who thinks they're above others and have the right to talk down to others.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back