Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good advice here. Most importantly don't rush things and try dosing different things at the same time and/or switching methods before waiting for results. What I would do at this point:
Take out all the rock you can, piece by piece, dunk it in a bucket full of tank water and scrub all the algae and detritus off. Rinse and replace. Siphon off all cyano/algae and detritus on the sand bed. Clean glass, do a large water change.
After that, keep blowing off rocks and siphoning sand daily. Lower lights and dose H2O2 (1 ml per 10 gallon) every day or even twice per day. Do not dose anything else for a while, just try to keep tank clean, filter socks/floss clean, parameters stable for a month at least. Do frequent water changes and in a month, post some pictures and see how it goes. Be patient

Last edited:

njreefkeeper

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a long term reefer and making more mistakes than I can remember… this has to be some of the best advice I’ve heard in years!
I started a new reef a few years back and have had more issues than any other system I have had. If I had followed this advice ( although I new them all) I would be at least a year ahead of where I’m currently at.
Great advice to follow!
I’m going to print this off, frame it and put it in my fish room when I’m having issues!!
Wow. Thank you for the kind words.

BRS

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good advice here. Most importantly don't rush things and try dosing different things at the same time and/or switching methods before waiting for results. What I would do at this point:
Take out all the rock you can, piece by piece, dunk it in a bucket full of tank water and scrub all the algae and detritus off. Rinse and replace. Siphon off all cyano/algae and detritus on the sand bed. Clean glass, do a large water change.
After that, keep blowing off rocks and siphoning sand daily. Lower lights and dose H2O2 (1 ml per 10 gallon) every day or even twice per day. Do not dose anything else for a while, just try to keep tank clean, filter socks/floss clean, parameters stable for a month at least. Do frequent water changes and in a month, post some pictures and see how it goes. Be patient
I agree with almost all you say, but I'm not sure that adding a strong oxidising agent to an immature tank is wise.

I'm not sure where adding Hydrogen Peroxide to any tank containing live animals came from.

IMO it is unwise to say the least.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Chemi-pure.com - All-In-One Aquarium Filtration
Back