Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also are believing someone when they say keep phosphate at 0.1ppm and that will get rid of algae? At this point, you need to not blame the forum but rather blame whatever thought process thinks this to be a reasonable answer. The only case where people consistently recommend adding phosphate to counter algae issue is with dinos as many seem to observe a phenomenon where it appears that dinos are linked to 0.00ppm phosphate in a tank.

Try to list this out. What is the rational behind most tank algaes going away at 0.1ppm phosphate? And this requires no reef keeping knowledge. 1. Algae uses phosphate to grow just like any other organism. 2. In the wild, we often see that excess phosphate dumping from agriculture into waterways leads to algal blooms. 3. So, it would be reasonable to assume that more phosphate = more algae. The same steps can be done to see how a lack of algavores on reefs leads to more algae. While this isn't a strong argument by any means, it would easily lead you to question, hmmm is this random person on a forum correct in their information. Ask yourself, how does someone know something.

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also are believing someone when they say keep phosphate at 0.1ppm and that will get rid of algae? At this point, you need to not blame the forum but rather blame whatever thought process thinks this to be a reasonable answer. The only case where people consistently recommend adding phosphate to counter algae issue is with dinos as many appear to find a phenomena where it appears that dinos are linked to 0.00ppm phosphate in a tank.

Try to list this out. What is the rational behind algae going away at 0.1ppm? And this requires no reef keeping knowledge. 1. Algae uses phosphate to grow just like any other organism. 2. In the wild, we often see that excess phosphate dumping into waterways leads to algal blooms. 3. So, it would be reasonable to assume that more phosphate = more algae. While this isn't a strong argument by any means, it would easily lead you to question, hmmm is this random person on a forum correct in their information. Ask yourself, how does someone know something.
If you already have a bunch of coral in the tank you need to maintain some nutrients level such as phosphate or nitrates irregardless of algae coming in. Corals gotta eat and yes the algae consumes also but if you do not maintain reasonable parameters in your tank corals will die and nothing will improve. Other methods play a key role. Lights, manual removal, cleaners, not overdosing nutrients or over feeding, etc... but reasonable parameters need to be maintained.

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This just reinforces the key word to succesful reefing, PATIENCE nothing good happens fast. I'm not succesful yet but am getting closer. I typically have the patience of a gnat and still do with most things but not the tanks. I love this forum but darn there are way too many people looking for instant cures to things that are normal and not a problem and many people willing to help them down the rabbit hole. I also notice many people ask questions and wade though the answers until they find the one they are looking for and off they go.
I have cyano, gha, aiptasia, and an abundance of vermatid snails, which I really hate as they make the monti caps grow in strange formations. But I'm just rolling with it and staying the course that I have plotted, which is keep N and P detectable, I dose if needed (manually), drip kalk and dose 2 part to keep alk 8ish and wait it out.

It also doesn't look like your performing any type of manual removal, not even cleaning the glass. Maybe you should hire a service to take care of your tank for you because to be brutally honest it doesn't look like you are doing your part. JMO

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

BuckChoklit

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 things i have learned in this hobby

1 patience
2 a little more patience.
3 repeat 1 and 2

Do research on everything you can. all the automation, chemicals, advice, equipment and treatment in the world will will not work out without patience

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is getting a bigger tank going to fix this?

OP
OP
charbel101

charbel101

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Im not saying that would fix this. I dont want this tank anymore im selling it. Theres no relation getting a bigger tank to fix that issue whatsoever.

OP
OP
charbel101

charbel101

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

U really need to be super mad to go to my posts and search for the tank for sale.

Top Shelf Aquatics

anthonygf

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You drink rodi water? You know that’s bad for you right? It lacks all sorts of minerals and strips them from your body.. lol
Hello Troylee. I have a whole house carbon filter, water softener, water pressure booster pump boosting my 40psi to 70. So I get close to 65-70psi at the RO/DI, no need for my RO booster pump any more. I also run my DI water through alkaline filters to remineralize and raise the ph back up to 9-10 for my drinking water, tastes great. I also have several smaller carbon filters before and after RO/DI and alkaline filters. After the alkaline filters my TDS goes up from 0 to around 70. You must know the TDS of our water, I am getting around 600 here.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want this video to be warning for other newbies starting out. I started this hobby 7 months ago, i got excited finished the cycled, added fish, and started immediately with lps corals. I was happy about my gear, so i immediately was replacing socks, breaking in my nyos 120, and all the fun along with it. Till one day i started seeing a little bit of dinos on the sand. So i was worried about cyano, and after effect of it. At this time my corals were pretty happy, so i came to this server, and asked about my algae, and the first thing i got "whats your phosphate, and nitrate" at that time i didnt have a hanna checker for those, so i immediately bought one, and my nitrate, and phosphate were both at 0.

So the first thing this server told me was A) feed more B) buy a brightwell neophos & neo nitro.

As a guy who does not like any sort of chemicals in his tank. I started feeding more. But that didnt bring my nutrienrs up at all. Keep in mind at this time my algae wasnt bad at all.

So the devil played with my mind, and i bought neophos, and neonitro.

I started dosing those, the dinos went away not gonna lie. But iv had cyano on some parts of my sand. It wasnt extending, but it wasnt going away. It was ticking off my rock anemone, my corals were pretty ticked off. So a reefer with "experience" told me yes dose your phosphate to 0.1 as 0.06 is low to your nitrate 5.6 and when you reach 0.1 for phosphate your algae will go away. So i started double dosing phosphate. And here iam the tank is completely covered in all sorts of algae, dinos, cyanos, green cyano,a lot of green hair algae. And all of my corals either bailing out, or dying.

Moral of the story here. Never chase a number, and let your tank do its thing. Chasing numbers are not good, and i wish i listened earlier. Never buy corals immediately neverrr. And im not saying wait a year to buy corals, just wait enough for your tank to stabilize, and your nutrients are not in the low 0s.

The video doesnt do the tank justice on how bad the algae is in my tank rn

My mag is 1315
Alk:7.5(was 8.5 before)
Calcium:420
Salinity:1.026
Why don't you just do a RIP clean. Not much more work than selling everything and starting another tank. Heck, you even have seeded rocks and once you get your nutrients straightened out you will be happy with it.

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you just do a RIP clean. Not much more work than selling everything and starting another tank. Heck, you even have seeded rocks and once you get your nutrients straightened out you will be happy with it.
This may be a good tank for @brandon429 to to help out with if the OP isn't ready to throw in the towel. :thinking-face:

Avast

ptrick21186

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on Don't Sell. Think about how much you've spent thus far. You're never gonna get that back. 7 months? That's nothing. Your tank is still young. Work the problem. Solve the problem. Bringing a tank back from where yours is at can be 10x more of a learning experience than cycling a new tank can ever be.

ptrick21186

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in the north east, tds of city tap is 25, after ro stage it is 0. North east has the lowest tds in the USA. Sooooo, it can be 0 after ro.
25 TDS tap water? That's amazing! Mine is about 215 in Joliet Illinois. After RO is about 20. DI brings it down to 0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 TDS tap water? That's amazing! Mine is about 215 in Joliet Illinois. After RO is about 20. DI brings it down to 0
570 in Vegas! Sheesh… I wish 25 or 215

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Neptune
Back