+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal I added 3 chromis to my tank that got velvet 60 days ago (completed the 60 day fallow period) I was wondering how long it would be before the chromis show signs of velvet if they were to get it?
Its unusual for them to get velvet while not impossible. Can you post a pic or two under white lighting for confirmation. By the time you see velvet which is a flagellate, its been there for a few days. generally you will see it in 6-10 days depending on tank Temperature.
Some signs if they acquire it will be:
- Scratching body against hard objects
- Fish is lethargic
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Rapid, labored breathing
- Fins clamped against the body

CLICK TO VIEW

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal I added 3 chromis to my tank that got velvet 60 days ago (completed the 60 day fallow period) I was wondering how long it would be before the chromis show signs of velvet if they were to get it?

So - the tank was empty of fish? If the chromis weren't quarantined, they could easily be carrying protozoans into the tank with them - the number one cause of fallow tank failure is the addition of new fish that carry a disease in with them, not a resurgence of the disease from the previous problem.

To your original question - based on the faster life cycle of velvet, I would be surprised if it took longer than 14 days for a resurgence to show up.

Jay

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - the tank was empty of fish? If the chromis weren't quarantined, they could easily be carrying protozoans into the tank with them - the number one cause of fallow tank failure is the addition of new fish that carry a disease in with them, not a resurgence of the disease from the previous problem.

To your original question - based on the faster life cycle of velvet, I would be surprised if it took longer than 14 days for a resurgence to show up.

Jay
Yes 60 days no fish. The chromis seem fine and are very active

World Wide Corals

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay cool, so if they brought anything in the tank typically how long would that take to show itself?
Typically a month of less with velvet, but flukes and ich can show up much later - I've had flukes show up years after I had acquired the fish, ich can sometimes show up after 4 to 8 months.

Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
First Choice
Back