Velvet during the cycle

cp2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I got a big problem, I used two clownfishes and nitrifying bacteria to cycle my reef tank. Unfortunately Both of the clownfishes died because of velvet in the middle of the cycle. How should I finish my cycle and how long do I need to wait to add new fish because of the Velvet….

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long were the clownfish in the tank? You likely don't need to do anything more other than maybe adding some ammonia source (ie, a pinch or two of fish food probably fine). The tank will cycle. If I were you I would let the tank sit for at least a month with no light to give the microbiome time to establish. Once you add coral and turn in the lights the battle with the goes will begin.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please stop cycling with fish!!!! Its an outdated practice that hurts and kills fish. Just add a pinch of flake food to the tank and wait.

But now there is disease in your tank so any new fish can die, so no fish in the tank for at least 6 weeks. So just wait and let the tank cycle and do more research while waiting.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long were the clownfish in the tank? You likely don't need to do anything more other than maybe adding some ammonia source (ie, a pinch or two of fish food probably fine). The tank will cycle. If I were you I would let the tank sit for at least a month with no light to give the microbiome time to establish. Once you add coral and turn in the lights the battle with the goes will begin.
OP believes the fish died of velvet...even if it was only ich, the parasites will be in the tank after a month and look for any new fish to host. Thats definitely something OP needs to do something about...a fallow period or hyposalinity is needed to eradicate the parasites

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi I got a big problem, I used two clownfishes and nitrifying bacteria to cycle my reef tank. Unfortunately Both of the clownfishes died because of velvet in the middle of the cycle. How should I finish my cycle and how long do I need to wait to add new fish because of the Velvet….
Rarely do they get velvet and do get ich but typically get secondary bacterial lesions often confused with ich and velvet.
Do you by chance have any pics or video when they had this?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd start completely over.

You haven't any fish in the tank due to Velvet, so why not?
Same...unless the rock or another part of the setup that cant be disinfected was very expensive I'd just restart. Why risk having the same experience?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would be more likely that this was an ammonia or other issue other than velvet - unless you have a really good reason to suspect it (like symptoms, behavior, appearance, etc). In any case, it's simple - and I would not start over. Just leave your tank fallow (fishless) for 6-8 weeks (if you're concerned use 8 weeks). Do you have the parameters of your water?

FWIW - If you're going to add fish on 'day 1' of a cycle it's best to have already quarantined/treated those fish - then no disease can be added. There are numerous products whose instructions suggest how to properly do this. Adding fish to a tank - and then just 'seeing what happens' is not a good idea.

Depending on how long your fish were in the tank, nitrifying bacteria are probably already present in numbers such that after the fallow period is done, you can add fish. If you're concerned about this - merely add fish and a bottled bacteria product (such as fritz 9000) with which you should have no problems.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

45 days NO FISH at 81 degrees. You do not need fish to cycle. Even just a pinch of fish food will produce ammonia. You can still add inverts after cycle.

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would run without anything for 2 months if you are positive it was velvet. Just add some ammonia source to keep the cycle going. Just do a normal fishless cycle.

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP believes the fish died of velvet...even if it was only ich, the parasites will be in the tank after a month and look for any new fish to host. Thats definitely something OP needs to do something about...a fallow period or hyposalinity is needed to eradicate the parasites
Maybe restarting the aquarium would be faster and safer.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be more likely that this was an ammonia or other issue other than velvet - unless you have a really good reason to suspect it (like symptoms, behavior, appearance, etc). In any case, it's simple - and I would not start over. Just leave your tank fallow (fishless) for 6-8 weeks (if you're concerned use 8 weeks). Do you have the parameters of your water?

FWIW - If you're going to add fish on 'day 1' of a cycle it's best to have already quarantined/treated those fish - then no disease can be added. There are numerous products whose instructions suggest how to properly do this. Adding fish to a tank - and then just 'seeing what happens' is not a good idea.

Depending on how long your fish were in the tank, nitrifying bacteria are probably already present in numbers such that after the fallow period is done, you can add fish. If you're concerned about this - merely add fish and a bottled bacteria product (such as fritz 9000) with which you should have no problems.

I feel that starting over is the prudent thing to do. I mean, why take a chance... ya know?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feel that starting over is the prudent thing to do. I mean, why take a chance... ya know?
Because - it's not 'taking a chance'. Let's pretend you had a tank full of fish - with corals, etc - and you added a fish with velvet. The solution is to remove the fish, treat them with copper, and leave the tank fallow. Velvet will not survive. It will also not survive if you leave your current tank fishes - and it doesn't reduce the risk at all. The risk was not quarantining your fish in the first place (no offense meant) - you took that risk and (assumedly) got velvet. If you want to restart completely - go ahead - but IMHO there is no rationale at all to sterilize the tank, etc.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
show any thread for display cycling where ammonia killed fish during a bottle bac cycle. - theyre hard to find for a reason

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the reason disease is the likely killer here: because it was physically seen and is a known fish killer, with thousands and thousands of searchable loss examples where qt is skipped we get fish kills due to disease. how many ammonia+ fish loss examples are on the site? waiting to see.

a predictive thread, written a few years ago and relevant here due to key word inclusions in both threads.

lets see a pic of the tank to gauge dilution and surface area

two little clowns is a tiny test load.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because - it's not 'taking a chance'. Let's pretend you had a tank full of fish - with corals, etc - and you added a fish with velvet. The solution is to remove the fish, treat them with copper, and leave the tank fallow. Velvet will not survive. It will also not survive if you leave your current tank fishes - and it doesn't reduce the risk at all. The risk was not quarantining your fish in the first place (no offense meant) - you took that risk and (assumedly) got velvet. If you want to restart completely - go ahead - but IMHO there is no rationale at all to sterilize the tank, etc.

I understand your point. But "A tank full of fish - with corals", is a detail you've added. As I understand it, the OP has a fish-less tank at the moment. My preference would be to start over.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I understand your point. But "A tank full of fish - with corals", is a detail you've added. As I understand it, the OP has a fish-less tank at the moment. My preference would be to start over.
It makes no difference - If you want to sterilize everything - go for it. The problem here is that you didn't quarantine your fish IMHO. Feel free to start over. However - For the thread it would be nice to explain your rationale - using microbiology/parasitolody - and ditto for those people (many I respect) - recommending you do it - because it runs counter to every recommendation by the fish medics on this forum - I'll repeat it again - you can do what ever you want. all good

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back