Velvet disease

marzipan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2589.jpeg
Yoyo, so awhile ago i say maybe around a months ago ago my brother noticed my fish Deadpool was turning yellow and i looked it up instantly and saw that apparently he has that gold dust disease, so i went to my local petco and got the coppersafe. He's in a two gallon tank so i put half a teaspoon by the way.

But i was looking at him today and i saw no difference, Hes been even covered him up because I looked it up and it seems the parasite is light dependent.

Is the copper safe not working and I need to try something else? Or do I need to wait longer.

Also I tested his ammonia and it was really high so I changed the whole tank, washed everything and put the conditioner in, basically a redo and then when I put him back in I put the copper safe in again, I’d say that was a little over a week ago.

I don’t know if he dying, I’d say he’s acting normal but I’m not sure what else to do.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
IMG_2589.jpeg
Yoyo, so awhile ago i say maybe around a months ago ago my brother noticed my fish Deadpool was turning yellow and i looked it up instantly and saw that apparently he has that gold dust disease, so i went to my local petco and got the coppersafe. He's in a two gallon tank so i put half a teaspoon by the way.

But i was looking at him today and i saw no difference, Hes been even covered him up because I looked it up and it seems the parasite is light dependent.

Is the copper safe not working and I need to try something else? Or do I need to wait longer.

Also I tested his ammonia and it was really high so I changed the whole tank, washed everything and put the conditioner in, basically a redo and then when I put him back in I put the copper safe in again, I’d say that was a little over a week ago.

I don’t know if he dying, I’d say he’s acting normal but I’m not sure what else to do.
This looks like an injury with possible start of an infection. Assure you are Not using tap water and water should be slightly acidic.
Best meds to use would be Seachem Kanaplex OR Tetracycline I believe by Mardel labs

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2589.jpeg

I can’t confirm velvet from your picture, but assuming the diagnosis is correct - coppersafe at 2.25 ppm and darkening the tank will cure it. The dose you added should reach that dose.

Be aware that coppersafe gives a false positive on some ammonia tests (reading at about 0.50 ppm)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

marzipan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like an injury with possible start of an infection. Assure you are Not using tap water and water should be slightly acidic.
Best meds to use would be Seachem Kanaplex OR Tetracycline I believe by Mardel labs
Yeah I’m not using tap, the place I got him at said to use shower water.
Thank for the tips

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Yeah I’m not using tap, the place I got him at said to use shower water.
Thank for the tips
Shower water would be tap water ( same source as from a faucet)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

marzipan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t confirm velvet from your picture, but assuming the diagnosis is correct - coppersafe at 2.25 ppm and darkening the tank will cure it. The dose you added should reach that dose.

Be aware that coppersafe gives a false positive on some ammonia tests (reading at about 0.50 ppm)

Shower water would be tap water ( same source as from a faucet)
OH, well how would i make it more acidic?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
OH, well how would i make it more acidic?
You may not want acidic but rather RODI water and even drinking water or RO water from either Pet store or grocery store refill stations

Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back