Need help ID’ing disease

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Got it. I did a tank swap recently. 20G long to 35G AIO and had to make 25G of new saltwater so the water quality shouldn’t have been an issue. Maybe the lights may have done something?
May or may not have. Keep intensity at moderate to medium

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May or may not have. Keep intensity at moderate to medium
I’ll reduce it slightly when they go back in. Part of me is so nervous not seeing them in their normal tank. The male (snowflake) is swimming against the glass while the female (mocha storm) is resting on the bottom standing on her belly against the glass.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting to suspect flukes could be a possibility. I found a thread on here with a powder brown tang that had tags that look similar to what I have on the clowns.

If they’re flukes, would I use prazipro or praziquantel? Or are they the same thing.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’ve been in QT now for about an hour. Someone at my LFS recommended 7 days and vette guy saying 30. I’ve seen others saying 14 days online.

As for the bulging eyes, do you think I should keep them in just the copper or should I dose additional antibiotics?

14 days is often the target for ionic copper (it is a bit harsher). 30 days is the proper time frame for amine-chelated copper like coppersafe. 7 days is too short for any copper product.

Copper won't fix the bulging eyes, but fish can live for years with those (like if they developed due to fat pads).

lwien01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just moved my clowns and hawkish over into the hospital tank as I noticed what looks like ich but I’m not 100% sure. Tank is sitting at 2.5ppm using copper power as I suspect external parasites.

Doesn’t quite look like ich but I’m not 100% certain. See picture.

First noticed about 1-2 days ago when the male clownfish was sleeping away from the female. Thought it was sand. Got him in a cup and swirled, looked like they went away. Today I woke up and saw the female was also affected.

IMG_0311.jpeg
could be flukes. ich looks more like find grains of sand. you need to let your LFS ID the issue and dip them quickly

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s 100% flukes. I’m seeing dead ones on the bottom of the tank and the affected spots on the fish look clear.

What did you do to cause the flukes to die? Are you sure they are flukes? Only Neobenedenia flukes are large enough to see with the naked eye - those looks like sesame seeds or fish scales when they die and fall off a fish.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do to cause the flukes to die? Are you sure they are flukes? Only Neobenedenia flukes are large enough to see with the naked eye - those looks like sesame seeds or fish scales when they die and fall off a fish.
I did a FW dip and I saw what looked like sesame seeds or fish scales floating on the surface of the dip container and on the bottom. They had a black dot either in the center or on one side. In the bottom of the tank, I was also able to see the same shapes.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a FW dip and I saw what looked like sesame seeds or fish scales floating on the surface of the dip container and on the bottom. They had a black dot either in the center or on one side. In the bottom of the tank, I was also able to see the same shapes.
Were the black spots tiny, like eye spots? Neobenedenia don’t have eyespots but some other worms do.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they were very tiny black spots
These could have been turbellarian worms or dactylagyrus flukes. FW dips work to control these, but reinfection from the tank is common. You may need multiple dips, or dips and them moving to a non infected tank.

That all said, I’ve never seen clownfish get turbellarian worms, or dactyligyrids large enough to be seen without a microscope…..

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These could have been turbellarian worms or dactylagyrus flukes. FW dips work to control these, but reinfection from the tank is common. You may need multiple dips, or dips and them moving to a non infected tank.

That all said, I’ve never seen clownfish get turbellarian worms, or dactyligyrids large enough to be seen without a microscope…..
What could I use in tank? Would it be prazi or is this tear down and restart?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What could I use in tank? Would it be prazi or is this tear down and restart?

Prazi dosed 2x, 8 days apart will work on dactylgyrid flukes. People suggest also using prazi against turbellarians, but really, it doesn't work for those. Dylox does, but that is too toxic to use in a home.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back