VELVET - Can fish be immune/survive velvet? and treatment or a puffer question.

leewish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded my tank transplanting my previous fish I had along with new fish. Some of my fish are absolutely fine (had for years), some of my fish have alot of coverage on them but behaving fine (had for years) and almost all of my new fish are gone fast.

My question is do fish build up immunity to the strains that are in the tank? Like for example my hippo and gem tang I've had for years and show no signs of any issues. Figure the hippo would be especially prone to it.

Also I have a giant puffer which has had this before but still eating. I know they do not do well in copper. If I pull all the fish to treat but wanted to ask how puffers do with other treatments? Also note tank is currently in hypo b/c I initially thought it was ich (FOWLR) so I know not to do copper and hypo together but not sure if other meds can be done in hypo.

Thanks in advance.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White light pics and a 20 second+ youtube video will help ensure diagnosis. Coppersafe or copperpower will be easier on you fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I upgraded my tank transplanting my previous fish I had along with new fish. Some of my fish are absolutely fine (had for years), some of my fish have alot of coverage on them but behaving fine (had for years) and almost all of my new fish are gone fast.

My question is do fish build up immunity to the strains that are in the tank? Like for example my hippo and gem tang I've had for years and show no signs of any issues. Figure the hippo would be especially prone to it.

Also I have a giant puffer which has had this before but still eating. I know they do not do well in copper. If I pull all the fish to treat but wanted to ask how puffers do with other treatments? Also note tank is currently in hypo b/c I initially thought it was ich (FOWLR) so I know not to do copper and hypo together but not sure if other meds can be done in hypo.

Thanks in advance.
Some fish have a resistance but not immune to disease. Some are also more prone than others to certain issues.
Puffers do ok with chelated form of copper which is coppersafe at 2.25 treatment level. I prefer chloroquine phosphate for puffers and even hyposalinity (1.009)
Please post video of fish under white light intensity as velvet kills quickly and raises question - Is it velvet?
With velvet fish will have rapid breathing, loss of appetite, swimming in path of water flow as examples

OP
OP
leewish

leewish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is link to video under all whites.

In past 48 hours lost naso tang, blotched anthia and blue face angel. Powder blue about to go. Pyramid butterfly jumped and was hanging out by powerheads

Given tank is at hypo I’m thinking hydrogen peroxide may be best way to go?

OP
OP
leewish

leewish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White light pics and a 20 second+ youtube video will help ensure diagnosis. Coppersafe or copperpower will be easier on you fish.
Even with tank at hypo bc I initially thought ich?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with tank at hypo bc I initially thought ich?

How long have the fish been at full hypo?

Hydrogen peroxide use against velvet is based on a study done on food fish in Hawaii. They dipped the fish at 75 and 100 ppm hydrogen peroxide, and then moved the fish to a new sterile tank. I think they did this 3x. Using low dose peroxide was not part of their study and is likely over extrapolation from the original study.

Coppersafe at 2.5 ppm works well and most fish tolerate that, but once fish loss has occurred, even copper may not stop the losses from continuing.

OP
OP
leewish

leewish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brough them into hypo over last couple of days thinking it was ich initially

Based on video I posted do you agree it’s velvet?

Can hydrogen peroxide be done in hypo?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brough them into hypo over last couple of days thinking it was ich initially

Based on video I posted do you agree it’s velvet?

Can hydrogen peroxide be done in hypo?
It doesn’t look like velvet to me at all. I’d give the fish at least 3 days at 1.009 specific gravity before changing things up.

I’ve never used peroxide in hypo, but I’ve used it in freshwater and in marine, so it should work in hypo as well, but as I said, the low dose peroxide treatment is useless….

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is clear immunity to disease - it's been described in paper after paper in wild fish - however, in a tank - where densities (fish) are higher - the immunity is overwhelmed. Anyone saying differently hasn't studied. I would not use peroxide.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back