Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg I’m making up smaller qt water now just for wrasse.
Big qt looks good, no missing, no red spots.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a secondary bacterial infection. Have you ever done a FW dip for flukes? I would definitely start treatment with a 90 min RRR bath.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a secondary bacterial infection. Have you ever done a FW dip for flukes? I would definitely start treatment with a 90 min RRR bath.
Yes, all fish did 30 days cp. Bacterial problems after that.
All fish did 1 round prazipro.
Tried fwd this wrasse prior to cp and pulled it at 3 min.
Fwd few of other fish, no flukes. These fish established, no newbies.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rrr bath will be 1 gallon.
Looks like 1/2 tsp of RRR per gallon is correct?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, just making sure I’ve got the timeline correct... when did you finish the trifecta? How long between that and starting the furan-2 again? He looked normal during treatment?

Bacterial issues can be tough... if he still looks this bad after the trifecta was removed, he may need something different. Maybe one of the sulpha drugs?

I agree a RRR bath is a good first step.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found recipe.
Tsp per gal.

If these are established fish why did you QT them? Also there is anecdotal evidence that CP and wrasses don’t mix well. I use copper power with wrasse myself.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, just making sure I’ve got the timeline correct... when did you finish the trifecta? How long between that and starting the furan-2 again? He looked normal during treatment?

Finished trifecta and GC laced food on April 10 pm, did 75% wc. Fish looking good. Wrasse looked much improved, no red and fins looked better. I felt good about having to leave a few days.
April 11 Left for trip.
April 12 furan2.
April 13 furan2.
Today, doing 25% wc on qt. Other fish look good, 2 with slight tattered fins after cp.
Wrasse in RRR bath now.

Plan:
Wrasse in 8 gal qt. Trifecta begins again? Or try something else?

Big qt???? They look good. Keep up furan2?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If these are established fish why did you QT them? Also there is anecdotal evidence that CP and wrasses don’t mix well. I use copper power with wrasse myself.

Halichoeres tolerate CP a bit better than other wrasses, but I really think this is just an aggressive bacterial infection. I had something similar happen with a flame wrasse... he would look ok in antibiotics but every time I tried to pull the meds, he would go downhill quickly.

After 14 days of the trifecta, a full course of sulfaplex + neoplex, and like 3 rally baths I just gave up and said I would pull the meds and let the chips fall. And he pretty quickly passed away without the meds...

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ok, sorry. Trying to get basic info out quickly.

2 wrasses did ttm.

Qt was for very minor ich irraticaton from dt. Ich in dt was minor due to huge uv and otherwise healthy fish. Only 2 fish ever showed slight sign.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think putting the wrasse in his own QT is a good idea, I’d just watch the others and leave them med free for now if they still look ok.

I’m waiting to hear back from a friend, hopefully he has some ideas of what might be the best bet to try next for the wrasse.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoeres tolerate CP a bit better than other wrasses, but I really think this is just an aggressive bacterial infection. I had something similar happen with a flame wrasse... he would look ok in antibiotics but every time I tried to pull the meds, he would go downhill quickly.

After 14 days of the trifecta, a full course of sulphaplex + neoplex, and like 3 rally baths I just gave up and said I would pull the meds and let the chips fall. And he pretty quickly passed away without the meds...
Oh no. Ok, thank you for a realistic possible outcome. Going to keep trying for now. Think I’ll follow your lead with sulphaplex ++.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think putting the wrasse in his own QT is a good idea, I’d just watch the others and leave them med free for now if they still look ok.

I’m waiting to hear back from a friend, hopefully he has some ideas of what might be the best bet to try next for the wrasse.
sorry, this info ended up inside a quote.

Finished trifecta and GC laced food on April 10 pm, did 75% wc. Fish looking good. Wrasse looked much improved, no red and fins looked better. I felt good about having to leave a few days.
April 11 Left for trip.
April 12 furan2.
April 13 furan2.
Today, doing 25% wc on qt. Other fish look good, 2 with slight tattered fins after cp.
Wrasse in RRR bath now.

Avast

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no. Ok, thank you for a realistic possible outcome. Going to keep trying for now. Think I’ll follow your lead with sulphaplex ++.
After receiving input from a friend, he thought NFG would be your best bet. However, since I know you are looking for something you can source locally - quickly, he said you could combine Triple Sulfa + Furan-2 to get the same effect. Treat with these together for 10-14 days.

Just keep in mind that this combo might be a little tougher on your bio-filter, so keep a close eye on ammonia.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can/should add a small container of sand. Just like an inch in a Tupperware container is all you need. Less stressed he feels, the better.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Buckeye
Back