Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys been out for a week. Took a cruise with the fam. Costa Maya was fantastic snorkeling and Cozumel went swimming with the dolphins. Snorkeled their little cove that was netted to stop wild life from leaving. It was really cool.

No pics lent my underwater camera to a friend and realized I never got it back. :(

In costa maya Kicked up a couple of small stingrays. My son found an eel that we followed for a while. We also ran across a forest of sea fans and hit the drop off about two hundred yards from shore. It went from about 40ft to 100ft. Found a bunch of baby French angels, parrot fish, ocean tangs, blue tangs, royal gramma and starfish and brain corals the size of boulders. If you travel to costa maya I’ll give you the name of the beach.

It sanded me to think that stuff like that could be harvested. First time I thought about how potential harm could be done by the aquarium trade. :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys been out for a week. Took a cruise with the fam. Costa Maya was fantastic snorkeling and cozen went swimming with the dolphins. Snorkeled their little cove that was netted to stop wild life from leaving. It was really cool.

No pics lent my underwater camera to a friend and realized I never got it back. :(

Kicked up a couple of small stingrays. My son found an eel that we followed for a while. We also ran across a forest of sea fans and hit the drop off about two hundred Rudd from shore. It went from about 40ft to 100ft. Found a bunch of baby French angels, parrot fish, ocean tangs, blue tangs, royal gramma and starfish and brain corals the size of boulders. If you travel to costa maya I’ll give you the name of the beach.

It sanded me to think that stuff like that could be harvested. First time I thought about how potential harm could be done by the aquarium trade. :(
Man that's something I really would like to do.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best part about that though @sfin52, with the technological advancements we have made, aquaculture is at the highest it has ever been. So only a little piece of that needs to be harvested in order to make it to the whole world. Also, when colonies get_to_big they die off. Think of it as a bush, the middle slowly does if you don’t trim them.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that. I’m also greatful for the advancement in technology that allows us to grow out side the reef.

I’m also greatful for the management of the reefs by officials.

I’ve sorkeled many times but never far enough out to be on the reef. Just the fringe of the reef. This time I was on the reef. It was magical and breathtaking.

I’m Cozumel my son and I were talking to each other about the fish and wild life underwater. Other people started snorkeling closer to us because we’ve learned so much from you guys.

It’s sad to see reefs declining and some parts in the world it’s because of missmangment. This last trip really opened my eyes.

The other thing I noticed is that average people who don’t understand the reefs were standing and walking on them. I’m sure did far more damage than collectors.

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, we did a bit of rearranging of the rocks in search for the missing fish... they are still missing, presumed dead. One yellow tail basslet, one gold assessor basslet, one hi fin goby, one pistol shrimp. We put the rocks back in the same place they were.

Maui, Bonnie, Clyde, Tim, McLeod and Sushi are all still happy and healthy. I've got a few more fish I'd like to add... one I'm having a hard time locating from an online vendor with good reviews. Centropyge argi. I'm going to go by the LFS and see if they can order one.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue zoo aquatics has a nice write on them. Say they do well in small aquariums. I’ve seen more than a few at my lfs. They always seem to do well in aquariums.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue zoo aquatics has a nice write on them. Say they do well in small aquariums. I’ve seen more than a few at my lfs. They always seem to do well in aquariums.
Blue Zoo is the only place I've found that has them in stock... but the reviews of the company are horrible. I'm going to go give my LFS my business... I'm planning on ordering a pygmy angel, sapphire damsel and royal gramma. Maybe a wrasse of some kind... I kinda miss my six line.

World Wide Corals

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Zoo is the only place I've found that has them in stock... but the reviews of the company are horrible. I'm going to go give my LFS my business... I'm planning on ordering a pygmy angel, sapphire damsel and royal gramma. Maybe a wrasse of some kind... I kinda miss my six line.

Bad reviews? Interesting, I have heard a lot of good reviews. Time for me to do more research then!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad focus because of the angle... but I thought this was a neat picture. Yes that is Maui and Sushi sharing a hole.
20180113_205523.jpg

Avast
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sushi isnt afraid of anything... she will swim right in front of McLeod, who looks like a grouper inhaling mysis, and steal food regularly.

Well, except the big oddly shaped fish that moves rocks around... she's afraid of that one.

Texas Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, uh... being patient pays off. I know, you all have seen this 845.3 million times on here. This isn't about the tank. Ok kinda about the tank but it's dry goods. I've had a set of macro lenses for my phone on my Amazon wish list for a while now. Well, they went on sale, then Amazon put them on flash sale. We just got a $60 lens kit, for $9...
View attachment 649032

Umm, Turtl....

Yea yea, I know... there's a new model. It's $27. We only spent $9!
Have you gotten this delivered yet?

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you gotten this delivered yet?
Oh, yea... forgot about that. The macro has a focal distance of 1/2"... so... unless the coral is on the glass I'd have to stick my phone in the tank. The wide angle and fish eye both work, but they aren't very useful for taking photos of the tank.

20180112_142242.jpg
20180112_142234.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, yea... forgot about that. The macro has a focal distance of 1/2"... so... unless the coral is on the glass I'd have to stick my phone in the tank. The wide angle and fish eye both work, but they aren't very useful for taking photos of the tank.

View attachment 651844 View attachment 651845
LOL I found that to be an issue. You can combine some of the lenses to get some improvement but yeah.... not great for coral photos. Ah well... at least they were cheap.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AAF
Back