Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, those are my grandparents on the mantle. They were born in '33 and '34. Grandpa is retired USAFR radio operator from the Korean War. That's when they met. He still operates a HAM radio and has antennas all over the yard. Oh and he can't here a gun shot going off in a tin can, morose code beeping in his ears for years. He's got a cochlear implant, but it only does so much. I call it his cyborg modification, not to him... he wouldn't understand. Grandma can sew anything by hand, trivet... got it, pot holder... got it, table cloth... got it, afgan, got one too. They live right up the road from me. My other grandparents are passed on. They lived right up the road too. I was lucky, I got to grow up with both sets of grandparents less than 10 minutes away. They were born in '23 and '25. Grandaddy was US Navy Armed Guard in WWII, Grandma was a White House intern... she had some awesome shorthand skills, lost art shorthand. They met in union station during WWII before Grandaddy shipped out to sea. Grandaddy passed in 2016 at the age of 92, I always said he was too mean to die. Grandma passed in 1998.
Thank you for sharing - that was a really nice little piece in the middle of your thread.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing - that was a really nice little piece in the middle of your thread.
Welcome to the Deep Blue Sea @Jim Harrison! There's a photo of my paternal grandparents on the other side of the mantle... its in post #1204 and you can see it again in post #1207 over on page #61. It's two pictures in one frame, the picture on the left is their wedding day in 1944 and I think their dog at the time. The one on the right is from the late 90s, before Grandma passed of course.

Jim Harrison

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Deep Blue Sea @Jim Harrison! There's a photo of my paternal grandparents on the other side of the mantle... its in post #1204 and you can see it again in post #1207 over on page #61. It's two pictures in one frame, the picture on the left is their wedding day in 1944 and I think their dog at the time. The one on the right is from the late 90s, before Grandma passed of course.
I’m slowly getting through this thread!

Best thread I’ve read so far on R2R.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jim Harrison

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A97E16FF-08E9-4F98-B088-9578F0FC04C2.jpeg

My grandpa is the little guy in the middle. They immigrated from a German settlement on the Volga river in Russia. They’re referred to as the Volga Germans.

He was a merchant marine during WWII.

Had to share!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 633350

My grandpa is the little guy in the middle. They immigrated from a German settlement on the Volga river in Russia. They’re referred to as the Volga Germans.

He was a merchant marine during WWII.

Had to share!
That's really cool.
My granddaddy was armed guard on liberty ships during the war. The reason I'm even here is because he never was assigned a route thru the Norwegian sea... nasty stuff happened to merchant marine and liberty vessels up there.

Last edited:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My great gradfather was a Ist generation German born in the USA and went back ans fought against German. They where truly the greatest generation.

Nutramar Foods

Jim Harrison

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really cool.
My granddaddy was armed guard on liberty ships during the war. The reason I'm even here is because he never was assigned a route thru the Norwegian sea... nasty stuff happened to merchant marine and liberty vessels up there.
He used to tell a story about a u-boat firing torpedoes at the ship he was on, missing, then watching a couple of planes drop charges on the u-boat. Sank the u-boat and completely missed the ship - fired early due to the planes coming after it.

On my Italian side of the family, 3 of my grandpas brothers died in Italy, fighting for the US.

The people of that era were larger than life. Not to belittle our generations, but what they faced and what they experienced, the depression, the starvation, the combat, all of it; astonishing what they came through.

Jim Harrison

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My great gradfather was a Ist generation German born in the USA and went back ans fought against German. They where truly the greatest generation.
Absolutely! The accomplishments and the pride of country - even though they were barely Americans - so amazing!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last night while I was looking at the tank and feeding everyone, I noticed my incinerator zoa was missing. Not just the zoa, but also the piece of rubble that it was attached to. Completely gone like it never existed. Looked all over the tank to see if it maybe blew off the rock... nothing. I'm not sure if it was a hungry hermit, or the glue broke and it just floated away.

This stinks, that was an awesome zoa. I wanted to watch it grow out.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
POT Winner right here, what Phone are you using ? and are you using a filter ? ..........Kudo's on the tank and a very entertaining thread!

Samsung Galaxy S8+, that picture was actually no filter in auto... honest lol. If its zoomed in pretty good it'll filter the blue itself most times. Those acans are simply stunning. Orange in the middle that fades to green then purple on the edges. They haven't fully inflated yet, but when they do...:cool:;Turtle

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had an iPhone. I was one of the first people around here to get the Motorola Droid about 8 years ago. I've had Motorola android phones since then. This is my first Samsung and it's amazing. The camera is crazy good as long as you're not zoomed in at 8x... anything below 4x is still sharp. Auto mode is pretty good at filtering, but in manual sometimes I get pictures that are incredibly sharp and I guess too high resolution and R2R won't let me load them.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had an iPhone. I was one of the first people around here to get the Motorola Droid about 8 years ago. I've had Motorola android phones since then. This is my first Samsung and it's amazing. The camera is crazy good as long as you're not zoomed in at 8x... anything below 4x is still sharp. Auto mode is pretty good at filtering, but in manual sometimes I get pictures that are incredibly sharp and I guess too high resolution and R2R won't let me load them.

l don’t mind the IPhoneX
IMG_0363.jpg
IMG_0251.jpg

No editing went into the first one and very little went into the second.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, late last night right before the lights turned off I found the incinerator zoa. The glue must have broken loose because it was still on the little piece of rubble on the bottom. I'm glad it opened back up or else I wouldn't have seen it.

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That clown is eying up your hand.

He’s a big baby. He’ll swim between your fingers before he will ever think about biting you.

Glad you going your zoa turtle. l know l have lost a good amount of pretty shrooms and Zoa’s to the water column

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Pirates Reef Corals
Back