Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One day after Dr. Tim's. Ammonia and nitrite have stayed the same, nitrate has come up to 10ppm. While the bacteria is working, it does not make water safe for fish immediately like advertised. Maybe in a FO system without a huge ammonia source like uncured live rock. We'll keep monitoring every few days and watch this cycle do it's thing.
20171024_134809.jpg

Screenshot_20171024-135158.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my QT set up. Sanitized the 5g aquarium, mixed up some salt added a few PVC elbows, and a small bowl of sand. Gotta run to the store and get another heater. All of mine are being used. Fish arrive tomorrow.
20171024_143750.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan of Dr. Tims, I tend to go with Bio-Digest personally, but meh.

I'd never tried it before yesterday. We will see how long it takes to convert the ammonia down to nitrate. I've got uncured rock so I wasn't expecting any miracles in a bottle.

Also, welcome back. It's been a while.

Last edited:

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had a busy week last week.

Dunno if it's the kind of bacteria, % or what, but Dr. Tims and a few others still always end up taking a few weeks to cycle anytime I have tried them. Like you said you just dumped the whole bottle because can't really have too much bacteria and it's definitely not fish safe. I've never had a problem with being fish safe by following the directions on bio-digest. Also I don't use any of their other programs, though I am such a fan of their bio-digest I'm not sure why. Probably because they recommend you keep putting the stuff in over and over and over like forever. That to me doesn't seem to make sense, but meh what do I know.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

najer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One day after Dr. Tim's. Ammonia and nitrite have stayed the same, nitrate has come up to 10ppm. While the bacteria is working, it does not make water safe for fish immediately like advertised. Maybe in a FO system without a huge ammonia source like uncured live rock. We'll keep monitoring every few days and watch this cycle do it's thing.
View attachment 601174

View attachment 601172

I like the pretty coloUrs of the water test! :)

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used it for that purpose, but I can tell you it's my trick to putting Nems in tanks that aren't established. If you try it with your nem I'll drive up to SOCO and kill you, but for cycling you can't beat it IMO.

One other thing to keep in mind. Next time you're watching a video of ANY real tank on youtube or whatever, look closely at the rocks. Most all good looking tanks have some "nuisance" algae around and a decent number of herbivores to keep it in check.

AS

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, nice of you @Amoo to drop us a line in the deep blue. I'll have to try that stuff for my next tank. When my wife lets me get one ;Blackeye Too many buy and ask forgiveness at this point. Don't want to be a dead duck and no fun times either. ;)

Good thing she doesn't read this or else I would be screwed six ways til Sunday. ;Dead;Dead

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used it for that purpose, but I can tell you it's my trick to putting Nems in tanks that aren't established. If you try it with your nem I'll drive up to SOCO and kill you, but for cycling you can't beat it IMO.

One other thing to keep in mind. Next time you're watching a video of ANY real tank on youtube or whatever, look closely at the rocks. Most all good looking tanks have some "nuisance" algae around and a decent number of herbivores to keep it in check.
Yea, I was gonna wait to move the acros and the nem over. Acans and duncans should be fine once I get thru the ammonia. The rest are getting sold. Acans, scolys, lobos and SPS is what I'm aiming for. The duncans will be my only "flowy" coral.

I have an urchin for algae control. I'm thinking a blenny is on the stock list also. I honestly dont think I'll need to buy any CUC once this thing is cycled. I've got a 10g FULL of CUC. Astrea, cerith, nassarius and blue legs. The urchin has demolished almost all of the red macro, I saved one small peice of red grape calurpa, and is polishing the live rock in there.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually thinking of putting the green tree macros in the 35g once I get light. We'll see how it looks. Will definitely be trying to get lots of chaeto to grow in the sump.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well folks, we're only getting one fish tomorrow...

"Dear Robin,

Thank you for your recent order with LiveAquaria. Our records show that your order A3300643 was shipped today for delivery tomorrow. We apologize, however the Caribbean Black Cap Basslet (item# 1023171116) on the order was damaged and not able to be shipped. We are issuing a refund of $59.39 to your method of payment for this specimen. You should see this back on your account typically within 3 business days. We apologize again for any inconvenience this may cause for you. Thank you for choosing Drs. Foster & Smith LiveAquaria for your live aquatic needs. You are a valued customer and we look forward to hearing from you in the future."

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love DD, even if it sucks, at least they didn't try to ship you an unhealthy fish.

I'm not mad at them at all. They issued a partial refund for the tang I got with velvet. All I did was send them am email warning them with pictures that they had a fish with velvet go thru their system. Next day I had a credit on my account for half the fish's price.

Disease and accidents happen... but I've never been screwed by them.

Avast

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

JASON FOX SIGNATURE CORALS
Back