Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep up those no3 and po4 we don't want the nasties to come back. Your tank is looking good.

Hopefully those corals will completely recover. They are starting to look really good.

How are your LPS doing.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So excited...

Screenshot_20180409-174136.jpg

Avast
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep up those no3 and po4 we don't want the nasties to come back. Your tank is looking good.

Hopefully those corals will completely recover. They are starting to look really good.

How are your LPS doing.

20180404_193804.jpg

AS
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealing with low nutrient problems, I'm fairly sure. Corals are looking pale. Thinking my skimmer is way over powered for the tank. Chaeto is starting to break down and grow some red stuff down there. Skimmer pulls thick nasty chocolate milkshakes out of the water. It may be all I need to control nitrates, but my phosphates are steadily high.

Getting close to the two week mark on the Project X Stylo, and its starting to not have as much polyp extension and the red color is almost gone.

Why do all my corals lose the base color but keep polyp color? Could low NO3 cause them to lose the base color but not the polyp color?

Forest fire digi, all orange, no green, looks healthy otherwise. Same with the JF Suntan Digi. JF Project X Stylo losing red base, still has bright green polyps and not as good PE. The birds nest is looking good, but its not the ORA Birds of Paradise I asked for...

BRS
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer is rated for 150 gallons, which probably means 75 gallons in real life terms. Every skimmer seems to be over inflated at what it'll do. Its a Bubble Magus Curve 5... I have maybe 40 gallons total. I believe I may put it on a timer for a 30 minute on/off cycle, but that is a lot of stress on the motor... or only run it at night with my refugium light.

Another option is to buy a smaller skimmer and sell this one or put it in storage, or just quit running the skimmer all together.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggled growing chaeto and skimming on my Reefer. My skimmer is technically oversized for that tank. Chaeto would grow, suck nutrients to zero then die off. Even opening the skimmer to full bypass wouldnt allow both to coexist on that tank. I fed to the point where i just couldnt keep up.

In the 18g with HOB fuge, no skimmer chaeto grows consistently just fine.

On the 40 which with sump is exactly 50g im going to try chaeto with an icecap k2-50 skimmer. Thats rated for 40-80g but i feel is a little undersized. Maybe ill find a happy medium there as it will be on the heavier stocked side of the equation.

I dont know how people are able to over size the skimmer and maintain a fuge while claiming to regulate feeding.

BRS
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggled growing chaeto and skimming on my Reefer. My skimmer is technically oversized for that tank. Chaeto would grow, suck nutrients to zero then die off. Even opening the skimmer to full bypass wouldnt allow both to coexist on that tank. I fed to the point where i just couldnt keep up.

In the 18g with HOB fuge, no skimmer chaeto grows consistently just fine.

On the 40 which with sump is exactly 50g im going to try chaeto with an icecap k2-50 skimmer. Thats rated for 40-80g but i feel is a little undersized. Maybe ill find a happy medium there as it will be on the heavier stocked side of the equation.

I dont know how people are able to over size the skimmer and maintain a fuge while claiming to regulate feeding.

I see people talk about feeding once every few days and skimming like crazy and growing chaeto and having problems keeping nutrients down.

I feed PE pellets a few times a day and LRS once a day. Oysterfeast too, ran out of phyto but I was dumping that in too. Once a week I add the reef energy carbs and aminos, altho I may go to a smaller dose daily.

Still have 0ppm NO3...

What are you doing on the reefer? Carbon dosing with the skimmer still?

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its insane how much food we are/were dumping in.... I wasnt home enough to feed any more and it was going to cost me a fortune in the long run.

So Yep, i went back to carbon dosing, skimming and and about 1/2 cup of Phosgaurd in a bag changed out every 3 or 4 weeks.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to remove the chaeto, going to run just the skimmer and see where my nitrates go, then dose nopox as needed. I didnt toss it tho, its in my spare 10g. I'll keep in there for a little while until I decide what to do with it. It may go on the 14g if I can find a light for the back.

Oh, and we also got woken up by the door bell. It was UPS with our new fish. He's up to temp, and is dripping with a bit of prime and parazi. Color is really faded, but he's been in a box for close to 24 hours shipped halfway across the country.

20180410_104927.jpg
20180410_105642.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner
Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Top Shelf Aquatics
Back