Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood. We have nobody to blame but ourselves for jumpers. Artfully Avcrylic makes very nice lids (that what I went with) but the communication and customer service is lacking. Id consider Octolids when i need to get another.
He made my frag racks and acclimation box. Top notch work and great to deal with.

BRS
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is that. I just found it cost prohibitive. I made my own screen top using the BRS kit and have been happy. Since the framing is aluminum, I don't worry if a little were to leach in.
Since I'm running marine pure I'm sure I have a little aluminum in the tank already. Everyone says it leaches and messes with leather corals. I don't keep leather corals so I'm not worried about a little bit.

Do you think making a notch in the frame for this would be too hard? Just need extra corner pieces, right? There are two of them.

20180310_120640.jpg

Understood. We have nobody to blame but ourselves for jumpers. Artfully Avcrylic makes very nice lids (that what I went with) but the communication and customer service is lacking. Id consider Octolids when i need to get another.

I'll look into them.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I'm running marine pure I'm sure I have a little aluminum in the tank already. Everyone says it leaches and messes with leather corals. I don't keep leather corals so I'm not worried about a little bit.

Do you think making a notch in the frame for this would be too hard? Just need extra corner pieces, right? There are two of them.

View attachment 699006

I'll look into them.
Nah, corners are easy. You do just need the extra corner pieces. If you buy the kit through BRS you can order the extra corner pieces. The only thing it does is make rolling in the screen material a little harder.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, corners are easy. You do just need the extra corner pieces. If you buy the kit through BRS you can order the extra corner pieces. The only thing it does is make rolling in the screen material a little harder.
To work around the light mounts you have to manipulate the corner pieces a bit and actually flip them over so they make the proper turn. Check out red sea’s kits. I know you dont have the reefer but a top is a top amd cam be used on any tank. They make pieces to get around light mounts amd overflows that dont need to be cut. Just cost a little more. Still cheaper than the acrylic though.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh we forgot to mention. I'm shutting down the QT tank turned experiment. All the mollies except for the male(went and hid) are in the frag tank. The large lump of the dark course chaeto went in the refugium and the light green stringy stuff... we might just get rid of it. It falls apart really easily and clogs the filter in there. The mollies did enjoy eating it tho. The sapphire damsel will be leaving soon so I can get my QT tank back, and empty it and clean and sterilize it... on to the refugium situation. I've got mud, chaeto and a light on it in addition to my chaeto reactor. Yep, I know. I'm going to have to keep an eye on my nutrient levels running lights over two seperate areas with chaeto. I haven't decided if I want to keep the refugium, or the reactor. I'm kinda letting them compete right now to see who wins out.

20180314_065706.jpg

Oh and the mud, I haven't seen anything living yet, but there is this odd tunnel going across the acrylic. Maybe it was an air pocket? Maybe it's something down there alive? I don't know right now.

20180314_065728.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T

View attachment 699006

I'll look into them.
Thanks for the warning. I’m setting up a leather dominated tank. I love leathers.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T

Thanks for the warning. I’m setting up a leather dominated tank. I love leathers.

It's all anecdotal, @Scurvy up there has two beautiful leathers with marine pure. I think there is some off brand that people use trying to save a buck that leaches some harmful elements. Never been a leather coral guy. There are some pretty ones out there. I stick to the pillowy LPS and SPS. Squishy bouncy and fuzzy fluffy. I like the fish to be the movement, and the corals an extension of the rock scape. SPS with big PE are a plus. Very minor movement but still in one place. Euphyllia is a no no...

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all anecdotal, @Scurvy up there has two beautiful leathers with marine pure. I think there is some off brand that people use trying to save a buck that leaches some harmful elements. Never been a leather coral guy. There are some pretty ones out there. I stick to the pillowy LSP and SPS. Squishy bouncy and fuzzy fluffy. I like the fish to be the movement, and the corals an extension of the rock scape. SPS with big PE are a plus. Very minor movement but still in one place. Euphyllia is a no no...
Why no Euphyllia?
DSC_0018.JPG

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one branching hammer in the frag tank... I've had that thing for, well for a while now probably last summer, with pretty much no growth. Lights way too low, never could tell where to set them without the Seneye. Now I know to turn it wide open. Looks like it's starting to pick up a little bit now, maybe fixing to split into two heads. Should be able to trade it off soon. Too much swaying and tentacles flying everywhere, can't place anything next to it. I have two duncans that I might keep. Might trade them off too. Who knows.

For the Deep Blue, I've got a vision of acans, blastos, ect. down low, a plating monti over on the right side of the SPS tower rock, probably an Idaho grape, a stylo over on the left side, JF Project X if I can find it(I'll see him again on Saturday, probably making a beeline to his table to see if I can pick up a piece), a birds nest thrown in there somewhere and acros up on the tower.

sfin52

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love euphyllia and Duncan’s. I have a hammer, torch and purple green frogspawn ($10 I pd for it) dino killed my duncans, one had 12 polyps there other 9. That’s what makes this hobby so great some many combos and preferences.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got all those when I was just getting in the hobby and didn't know what corals I prefered. Rhodactis too... more to sell/trade. Eventually I would like to set up an anemone tank with a pair of cinnamon clowns. That'll give me the swaying movement.

I just remembered, there was a tiny BTA in the Deep Blue that I haven't seen in a long time. Around the time when I dosed the peroxide and everything went belly up...

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just ordered more CUC from Reef Cleaners... the list goes;

Dwarf Cerith 25
Nassarius Vibex 10
Nerite Snail 12
Florida Cerith 6
Assorted Hermits 10

That oughta be plenty, in addition to the 6 or so 1" astreas and handful of dwarf ceriths still hanging in there.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to get moving on that screen top!! LoL Those Nerites are jailbreakers!! I hear people say they’ll stop escaping after a week or two but mine were all dog food inside of a week. Solid CUC though :)

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to get moving on that screen top!! LoL Those Nerites are jailbreakers!! I hear people say they’ll stop escaping after a week or two but mine were all dog food inside of a week. Solid CUC though :)

That's why I ordered 12, hopefully some stay in. I'll get around to ordering that screen kit eventually.

Nutramar Foods

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Scurvy those are some sweet looking lethers.
Thanks! Im not a huge softie guy either butbthe Crown leather was my first coral and the long polyped actually just grew out of a piece of rubble rock that another coral came in on.... Its grown tremendously in a year!

sfin52

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the green toadstools. I feel in love with that one. I’m still looking for the right one. The finger leather is the centerpiece. Has more than doubled in last two years.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back