Tslot Deflection Rates

WhatCouldGoWrong71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am looking at building a stand for my sump (it will not be under my tank but to the left). Sump without reservoir is 72x24x15, so max gallons are 112 if about to overflow or regular max weight of 80G when there is a power failure so with weight of sump, it's about 1K pounds when the power goes out or close to that with the return pump off. If I use standard 3030 (3") I can get the deflection rate to 0.07. The span is 72 inches with the top support resting on the support columns. What I have read is you should keep the deflection less than 1/10th of an inch. The height is 24 inches with 2 72" beams and 6 cross supports. I ran a calculation where I inserted a center support and stepped it down to 2020 (2") the deflection was .35 and the same with 40-4040 and the deflection was roughly the same. I just feel like I could park a sherman tank on this. Anyone who built their own tslot do the calculations? If so what did you wind up with using and if you are in the .30+ range, can you tell? BTW - I am not an engineer. I am building a lighting rack out of Tslot and said well, I might as well match my sump stand and well you know how this story goes...

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
In chasing this rabbit further, perhaps I am thinking this incorrectly? I would have thought that the top beam would have sat on top of the support columns. The deflection rate is .3 when looking at it this way, when it's fixed, between the two support columns, the deflection rate is inline. The question is, when I look at every Tslot aquarium stand online, this is not how they are built...

1722904773070.png

1722904836542.png

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not an engineer but what sticks out to me is the load doesn't occur in the center. It is disbursed evenly throughout the length. The weight on the ends actually keeps the center from drooping. Maybe I oughta shut up! Lol

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am not an engineer but what sticks out to me is the load doesn't occur in the center. It is disbursed evenly throughout the length. The weight on the ends actually keeps the center from drooping. Maybe I oughta shut up! Lol

I know. If you look at the link below, you can see what we are talking about. Plus, there is a Tidal Garden tank there. It's explained that it is made in 3030 (3") and this is WAY WAY bigger then my sump capacity. I'm confused...

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a stand for my 75 using 4545l from tnutz.com probably overkill but it was on sale. I've seen those tidal gardens stands in person and they are very nice.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back