Trouble with DIY mesh top spline

bubba60tackle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This feels like one of the dumbest problems. Trying to make DIY tips, bought frame from Home Depot, screen from BRS-black 1/4”. I have tried 3 spline sizes .14, .16, .175 all seem to be lifting out of the track almost as soon as I put it in. Seems like the mesh is so stiff it is pushing the spline out. When I try to use the tool to form the mesh in the track first I have to push so hard it almost breaks the mesh. Only other idea at this point is to lay the mesh out in the sun to hopefully make it more pliable so it forms into the channel. Didn’t see any other threads talking about this, anyone else struggle with what seems like a stupid simple project?

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the frame from HD and BRS screen also. I used the .140 spline from HD. If I remember correctly, I had to push the spline into the channel with the flat blade end of the screen tool (or just a small flat blade screwdriver) for a couple inches to get it started. I think you really have to jam it in there. Then push it in with the roller. I used silicone at the ends, just to reinforce.
IMG_20240912_092517826_HDR.jpg
I just up made an Innovative Marine screen to kit for my new tank. I like it much better than the window frame tops. Much better look and more solid. Only outside corners offered, sadly.
IMG_20240912_093743768_HDR.jpg

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you really need to jam it in the HD screen frame. I used a screen from Amazon so I'm not sure how thick yours is. The Amazon one is pretty thin. Then the spline kept trying to come out. So jam it in pretty good. Once it's in, it's in.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back