Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is currently my only hypothesis - going from 2.1 to 0.3. I didn’t do it all at once, here is timeline:

July 26 - 2.1ppm
Aug 1 - 1.6ppm
Aug 2 - 1.48ppm
Aug 8 - 1.0ppm
Aug 16 - 0.6ppm
Today - 0.3ppm

So dropped about 1.8ppm in a little over a month.
Wow that’s a huge huge drop

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope I used the recommended amount for my tank size - they have a pack that treats 60 gallons and I used half of that in my all-in-one’s back chamber next to my carbon. I put one in and removed after 4 days with plenty of gaps in between.

I would say it was fairly gradual going from 2.1 to 0.3 in 48 days - its not like I dropped it all in a week or two.

That’s dropping .03ppm per day on average or .25/week. Felt like I was going at a steady pace there.
When People say gradual they drop .2.3 over that same period of time

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is about 1.5 years old now.

I run monthly ATI tests so I have a solid handle on trends. Up until March of this year I had undetectable phosphates and nitrates around 10ppm - for the first 8-9 months I was only feeding mysis shrimp to the fish.

In March I bought a couple mandarin gobies that require TDO pellets - so in March phosphates were .05 with 27ppm nitrates.

in April phosphates were up to .1 with 31ppm nitrates.

Between April and July they shot up to 1.7ppm with 40 nitrates.

I have now brought nitrates down to 20ppm through increased weekly water change volume and cleaning the sump. This had no impact on the phosphates, so I used Phosguard to get those down to .3 over the course of 6 weeks or so.
This says it right here only a few months ago the tank was at zero then it shut up to 1 PM which is insanely high phosphates now he’s got it back down to .3 few weeks later

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what fish you have. Any sand sifters or maybe do your power heads kick sand up?
I have a pistol shrimp pinkbar goby pair and a fighting conch but neither really kick up sand.

I do kick it up when Im cleaning the glass to get rid of some of the gunk that builds up between the sides of the glass and the sand bed, and part of me is wondering if this is ticking the hammers and torches off. Am I better off just not touching the sand bed?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This says it right here only a few months ago the tank was at zero then it shut up to 1 PM which is insanely high phosphates now he’s got it back down to .3 few weeks later
I have to agree with you when you tie in that timeline of "starving" to "way too much" then back down to "dirty". I assume this was a dry rock setup. I had to dose PO4 daily in my tank for the first year and now I'm exporting it.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with you when you tie in that timeline of "starving" to "way too much" then back down to "dirty". I assume this was a dry rock setup. I had to dose PO4 daily in my tank for the first year and now I'm exporting it.
Where do I go from here is my main question - Im stopping water changes and Phosguard for the time being to see if I cant get my torches happy again.

At some point the phosphates are gonna go back up, seems like it raises about .5ppm per month. None of the corals were unhappy at 2.1ppm, I was mainly dropping them because everybody was freaking out when I told them that number.

Oddly enough had no algae to speak of which I assumed would be the opposite with levels that high. I do have algae (coraline, bubble, macro, green) but nothing on a nuisance level.

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where do I go from here is my main question - Im stopping water changes and Phosguard for the time being to see if I cant get my torches happy again.

At some point the phosphates are gonna go back up, seems like it raises about .5ppm per month. None of the corals were unhappy at 2.1ppm, I was mainly dropping them because everybody was freaking out when I told them that number.

Oddly enough had no algae to speak of which I assumed would be the opposite with levels that high. I do have algae (coraline, bubble, macro, green) but nothing on a nuisance level.
Long term exposure to high po4 will limit growth and eventually lead to death in most corals. How long....not sure.

There are tanks that I've seen happy around .3-.5 but 2.0 is really high for long term.

You will have to choose a way to export your po4 until the tank settles and even then you will most likely need to continue the export of nutrients somehow.

There are many choices, we went with an algea scrubber as we feed heavy.

I found rowa worked better for us than phosgaurd as we were getting some alluminum release from the phosgaurd. Vary rare but we were the exception.

colledge14

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pistol shrimp pinkbar goby pair and a fighting conch but neither really kick up sand.

I do kick it up when Im cleaning the glass to get rid of some of the gunk that builds up between the sides of the glass and the sand bed, and part of me is wondering if this is ticking the hammers and torches off. Am I better off just not touching the sand bed?
I killed about 3 or 4 torch’s before I figured out they absolutely hate sand being on them

AquaCave Logo Banner

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your export methods are obviously not working. This is what should be looked at

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long term exposure to high po4 will limit growth and eventually lead to death in most corals. How long....not sure.

There are tanks that I've seen happy around .3-.5 but 2.0 is really high for long term.

You will have to choose a way to export your po4 until the tank settles and even then you will most likely need to continue the export of nutrients somehow.

There are many choices, we went with an algea scrubber as we feed heavy.

I found rowa worked better for us than phosgaurd as we were getting some alluminum release from the phosgaurd. Vary rare but we were the exception.
I am curious if that’s the case here - although I run polyfilter in my chamber so not quite as afraid of the metals.

My LFS told me to drop the phos with Phosguard and then maintain it with Rowa. I’ve got it on hand.

Should I halt all water changes and efforts to remove phos until my green torch stops being angry? I am starting to formulate a longterm plan but between now and then is where Im stuck on what to do.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your export methods are obviously not working. This is what should be looked at
Yep Im not doing phosguard again - it’s a difficult thing to do gradually. Often times I put in a bag and saw no drop at all, then I’d put a different bag in at the same quantity and it dropped quite a bit.

I think at the heart of it is not catching it earlier though, Id be hardpressed to think anyone would’ve done it more gradual than I did given the circumstances. 48 days is a good amount of time in anybody’s book.

BRS
OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I killed about 3 or 4 torch’s before I figured out they absolutely hate sand being on them
Finally someone! Ive been wondering this - I honestly think this is at the heart of my issue with my euphyllia. While the phosphate is a problem I doubt its ticking them off like sand might be doing.

What did you end up doing? My challenge is I have a full tank and have to keep the torches and hammers isolated. Been thinking about finding a smaller rock to mount them to so their still in their spot but not in the sand.

I have a 20 gallon nano so my options are limited

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally someone! Ive been wondering this - I honestly think this is at the heart of my issue with my euphyllia. While the phosphate is a problem I doubt its ticking them off like sand might be doing.

What did you end up doing? My challenge is I have a full tank and have to keep the torches and hammers isolated. Been thinking about finding a smaller rock to mount them to so their still in their spot but not in the sand.

I have taken 1/2inch pvc pipe and cut them multiple lengths about 4-8 inch long and insert them into my 3 inch sand bed so they stick out and then extended the frag plug end with another frag plug end I broke off then glued to torch so it’s more stable in the pvc and can’t get knocked out. You can see 3 in this pic only center one is being used right now
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have taken 1/2inch pvc pipe and cut them multiple lengths about 4-8 inch long and insert them into my 3 inch sand bed so they stick out and then extended the frag plug end with another frag plug end I broke off then glued to torch so it’s more stable in the pvc and can’t get knocked out. You can see 3 in this pic only center one is being used right now View attachment 2827151View attachment 2827151
That is pretty slick - so as a result do you have a different way you clean the sand now too? Im starting to wonder if its even worth cleaning if its gonna cause havoc.

Nutramar Foods

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty slick - so as a result do you have a different way you clean the sand now too? Im starting to wonder if its even worth cleaning if its gonna cause havoc.
I have over 1,000 gallons of saltwater between 7 tanks in my house and I’ve never vacuumed a sand bed in 10 years and won’t…….

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you wanna know what I do do. Hahahah I said do do:) anyways I dose 250ml of live phyto daily to my systems for nutrient control.

colledge14

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well my goby was very curious on what was on the other side of the glass and the problem fixed itself. He ended up dying but on the bright side I haven’t lost a torch or hammer since.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have over 1,000 gallons of saltwater between 7 tanks in my house and I’ve never vacuumed a sand bed in 10 years and won’t…….
Good to know - lot of YouTube videos led me astray there talking about the need to clean the sand bed. Essentially every Sunday I do a water change and before I do that I would stir up the sand bed quite a bit and I think that might be my main culprit of unhappy euphyllia. Just never even crossed my mind I was doing more harm than good grrr.

Not to say Im not also experiencing issues due to the phos swing - but really only my green torch is super ticked. I haven’t seen much further in the recession department but what used to be a torch that was always always always fully out now only comes out halfway for the last week or so.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AAF
Back