Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed what looks like some sort of lesion on the gill cover of my juvenile tomini tang along with a couple of white spots on its forehead. Apologies for the quality of the pictures but hopefully you can see the spots on the first picture and the lesion on the second. Also there is some whiteness on the base of the fin next to the large lesion which I haven't been able to photograph.
The tang doesn't show any sign of distress and is swimming and eating normally. Does seem to be spending more time than usual with my cleaner shrimp though which makes me wonder if it's suffering some sort of skin irritation.
None of the other fish seems to be affected.
Would be grateful for any suggestions as to what might be the matter and treatment options if any.
TIA
IMG_20230206_113500.jpg
IMG_20230206_113522.jpg

BRS

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The white spots on the forehead are its nares - nasal openings. The white lesion on its left gill cover is something else - a coral sting, scrape and/or a mild bacterial infection.

How long have you had the fish?
Did you give it any quarantine treatment?
Does it ever scratch or flash against things in the tank?

Jay

OP
OP
F

Fremlins

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The white spots on the forehead are its nares - nasal openings. The white lesion on its left gill cover is something else - a coral sting, scrape and/or a mild bacterial infection.

How long have you had the fish?
Did you give it any quarantine treatment?
Does it ever scratch or flash against things in the tank?

Jay
Thanks.
I've had it for about 6-7 months now.
No scratching or flashing.
The white spots I was referring to aren't the nares. They are quite hard to see on the photo (sorry about that) but there are 2-3 small white marks in line with each other just to left (viewer's left - so on the opposite side to the large lesion) of the centre of its forehead, a little below the left nare.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
F

Fremlins

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - here is a clearer image showing the marks on the tang's nose and some additional marks that have appeared above the right eye (left from the viewers pov).
I'm guessing this is ich but I'd really appreciate it if anybody could help confirm this or identify it if it's something else before I start treatment.
Again none of the other fish are affected and behaviour seems normal enough.

IMG_20230207_110354.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots above the eye are too large to be ich. The ones on the snout could be - but I don't think so. One way to try and tell is to watch the spots over 2 or 3 days. If they come and go in different numbers and different locations (but with a generally increasing trend) then they are likely marine ich. The same spots, in the same location is something else.

The lesion on the left side is staying the same?

Scratches and/or flukes are a possibility, but the length of time you've had the fish tends to rule out ich (not impossible, just unlikely).

Jay

OP
OP
F

Fremlins

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots above the eye are too large to be ich. The ones on the snout could be - but I don't think so. One way to try and tell is to watch the spots over 2 or 3 days. If they come and go in different numbers and different locations (but with a generally increasing trend) then they are likely marine ich. The same spots, in the same location is something else.

The lesion on the left side is staying the same?

Scratches and/or flukes are a possibility, but the length of time you've had the fish tends to rule out ich (not impossible, just unlikely).

Jay
Thank you.
No changes to the lesion.
No marks anywhere else that I can see either. These spots all seem to be in a line, I wonder if there's any significance in that?

Nutramar Foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.
No changes to the lesion.
No marks anywhere else that I can see either. These spots all seem to be in a line, I wonder if there's any significance in that?
Scrapes will often have a pattern like that, or be isolated to certain parts of the fish. External parasites tend to have a more random distribution.
Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Join the movement!
Back