Tomini tang blotchy

skey44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have a new to me tomini tang in my QT. In with a carpenters wrasse, Midas blenny. There was a royal gramma but it died yesterday of what appeared to be a parasitic disease. I dosed with copper power to 2.25 over two doses the day I saw symptoms and the day it died. Tank is cycled other two fish are still doing well and tang is eating still. Any help? On the way to petsmart to dose general cute and get some air stones.
IMG_8121.jpeg
IMG_8122.jpeg
IMG_8120.jpeg
IMG_8117.jpeg
IMG_8118.jpeg
IMG_8117.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hey I have a new to me tomini tang in my QT. In with a carpenters wrasse, Midas blenny. There was a royal gramma but it died yesterday of what appeared to be a parasitic disease. I dosed with copper power to 2.25 over two doses the day I saw symptoms and the day it died. Tank is cycled other two fish are still doing well and tang is eating still. Any help? On the way to petsmart to dose general cute and get some air stones.
IMG_8121.jpeg
IMG_8122.jpeg
IMG_8120.jpeg
IMG_8117.jpeg
IMG_8118.jpeg
IMG_8117.jpeg
.This fish has a serious bacterial issue or skin irritation and typically one that builds up over time. You wanted to get to level 2.25 right away opposed to ramping up as you did which allows a given disease to take control. of a fish. Tomini also looks a little thin
What foods are you offering and is it eating and breathing Normal?
Please if you can , post a video of about 30 seconds under same lighting

OP
OP
S

skey44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m literally at pet smart now trying to figure out what I can buy to help. But it was not blotchy yesterday or this am. It is breathing a little fast but still eating/ behaving normally. Eating frozen mixed food such as emerald entree, marine cuisine. I see it taking the bits of algae and shrimp in these foods. It is a very small fish. Less than an inch. I think it has actually put on a little weight in the stomach area over last few days. I’ve only had it since Friday. Of note my LFS seems to have had a pretty traumatic disease come through their systems and there have been multiple fish lost in their fish holding system.

OP
OP
S

skey44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought the api doxycycline and general cure as these seemed like my best bets at petsmart. On way home will post a video if I can when I get home.

OP
OP
S

skey44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks worse than when I left for the store. Fins clamped now. Not sure video will
work.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought the api doxycycline and general cure as these seemed like my best bets at petsmart. On way home will post a video if I can when I get home.
Sorry - just seeing this now. The -cycline antibiotics are not very effective in seawater because the calcium interferes.

Did you also get the general cure you mentioned? This could be flukes….

OP
OP
S

skey44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed the general cure last night. Will return the antibiotic. The tomini is barely hanging on this am.
Still swimming just looking lethargic.
Ammonia-0
Nitrites- 0
Copper- 2.29
Sg- 1.023
I have little hope for the tomini. Just hopeful I can keep the wrasse and blenny safe.

OP
OP
S

skey44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal , hey the little tang is still hanging on. Not eating much if at all though. Should I re administer the general cure @ 48 hours per the package direction, or do something different.
Thanks in advance.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal , hey the little tang is still hanging on. Not eating much if at all though. Should I re administer the general cure @ 48 hours per the package direction, or do something different.
Thanks in advance.

The package instructions for GC only cover live bearing flukes. Many flukes have an egg stage that GC doesn't kill. The best thing then is to space the two treatments to 8 days apart - hopefully giving time for all the flukes to hatch and be killed by the second dose, but before they are able to lay new eggs of their own....

OP
OP
S

skey44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang died yesterday. Just to update. He never really ate well. Will make sure I see fish eating well at shop before purchasing for QT next time. As usual in this hobby a little more patience should pay off.
Glad I added GC to my copper power QT. Feel even more confident about adding these new fish to my display in the near future.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back