Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m at point where I’m considering to sell my reefkeeper and buy a new apex. I have so much invested on it as you can see on the picture but must of the pumps have they own controllers. I’m using the reef keeper less and less. What you guys opinion? Have you switch from the reefkeeper to the apex? Let me know.
FCEB9CEF-7F87-45CA-A7FA-BD6C424016B0.jpeg

Corals.com
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the reefkeeper don't what you want it to? If it is, I see no reason to switch. Or are you trying to justify the purchase of an apex?

I'm not into the super high tech stuff like apex, so I look at it and say 'meh'. It's cool and all, but not my cup of tea.

radiata

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering that the Reefkeeper is no longer either manufactured or supported, I think that not upgrading equates to an accident waiting to happen. Strongly suggest you post a list of the on/off functions you currently require a new controller to actually control. A replacement controller might be less expensive than you think...

radiata

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lord that looks nice. Tough call. However a vital malfunction will cost way more in the long run. I’m still running my reef keeper light. It’s old.

An option that I neglected to mention was picking up a (now cheap) Reefkeeper (or two) to back up the current control requirements.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m at point where I’m considering to sell my reefkeeper and buy a new apex. I have so much invested on it as you can see on the picture but must of the pumps have they own controllers. I’m using the reef keeper less and less. What you guys opinion? Have you switch from the reefkeeper to the apex? Let me know. View attachment 1091758

I don't trust (and don't like) the apex modules for a couple of the things I have (echosmart/maxspect) - their own controllers work far better than trying to control them with apex. My apex is used to monitor and to turn off/on given things for maintenance. If you like your system(and it looks awesome) - why change. Have had 3 tank meltdowns with apex (faulty chips each time) - and won't go back to it controlling lights/pumps, etc on its own). You asked for my opinion - thats it - for the Apex defenders - its not a slam against Neptune - I still use my controller - but the software/controllers that come with the actual product is a backup/failsafe.

I would keep what you have until you have a reason to change. EDIT - the fact that the current modules are no longer made - may be that reason - but Were you to buy an apex - I would tend to run it the same way you are using your current controller.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Solis Reef

Solis Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lord that looks nice. Tough call. However a vital malfunction will cost way more in the long run. I’m still running my reef keeper light. It’s old.
Thanks. I took my time with this build. My reefkeeper elite is only tuning my lights, dozing pump and my Top of. I have a ton of extra module that I’m not using 5 power and only using 2.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Solis Reef

Solis Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't trust (and don't like) the apex modules for a couple of the things I have (echosmart/maxspect) - their own controllers work far better than trying to control them with apex. My apex is used to monitor and to turn off/on given things for maintenance. If you like your system(and it looks awesome) - why change. Have had 3 tank meltdowns with apex (faulty chips each time) - and won't go back to it controlling lights/pumps, etc on its own). You asked for my opinion - thats it - for the Apex defenders - its not a slam against Neptune - I still use my controller - but the software/controllers that come with the actual product is a backup/failsafe.

I would keep what you have until you have a reason to change. EDIT - the fact that the current modules are no longer made - may be that reason - but Were you to buy an apex - I would tend to run it the same way you are using your current controller.
thanks this is the best answer I got.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
ReefKeeper units are solid and still one of the best and most dependable units to utilize for automation even with support of Digital Aquatics.
Its gets no easier to program than a RKL unit !!

Top Shelf Aquatics

ReefStrong

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I took my time with this build. My reefkeeper elite is only tuning my lights, dozing pump and my Top of. I have a ton of extra module that I’m not using 5 power and only using 2.
I'm searching high and low for modules. If you got some your not using... I am DEFINITELY interested.. Lets negotiate a package deal even for the whole lot! Soonest! =)

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I may be interested in a pb4

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my RKL especially for what I have invested in it however I’m excited for the new control by coralvue that’s coming out soon.. great pricing structure and US made! Watch out Apex.. lol

EC7C6E43-7DE3-4DF4-9CFD-A949CB5F9632.jpeg

Corals.com

red02

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef keeper 2 that has to be over ten years old and works great turns lights on and off has temp control if heater fails what more could you want i was even looking to buy another one but can't seem to find one lol

reefkeeper 2.jpg

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a reef keeper 2 that has to be over ten years old and works great turns lights on and off has temp control if heater fails what more could you want i was even looking to buy another one but can't seem to find one lol

View attachment 1233935
There's at least two on here over the last week

Neptune

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaNerd
Back