+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Automation is a huge advantage in this hobby. Its like having a butler to turn your lights on and off, reporting an issue, monitor your temperature, ph and other levels and more.
HOW MANY OF YOU ARE USING CONTROLLERS AND WHAT KIND?
Which is your Favorite?
What do you like and dislike about your controller ?

For years I used ReefKeeper elite and it was ALWAYS trustworthy and trouble Free. I would not be afraid to buy another one.
I was scared of Apex as it looked complicated. I finally found one at a price I could not refuse and took my chance. I have used Apex since and still do.

My Favorite will be Reef Keeper despite being gone from the market. These were Too easy to set up.

Apex:
Like: The look, the plug layout, the amount of modules and abilities to monitor levels, leaks, dose, trident and ATO control.

Dislike: False reading with Salinity and Trident readings

I cant justify buying this unit for $800 and having to go out and get Hanna kits and a salinity tester because I cant rely on the saltwater probe which is over $200

Last edited:
AS
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Coralvue Hydros. It has a good mix of being powerful and versatile, with all the things I want to do in a simple, controllable interface.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the apex ecosystem for 8 years now. I'm ready to try something different, in watching the kraken from Hydros closely, its going to be my next leap soonish as I feel that Neptune has gone stale on innovation and its just living to suck your pocket dry with incremental equipment updates as the 'new' fancy thing is/has been lame as of late. The A3 apex release is/was a joke imho.

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a hydros that I'm very happy with. I can't say it's my favorite, cause its the only controller I've ever had, but I like it.

I admit I bought based on lower price, and apparent ease of use. However, after buying all the hydros components to build the system I want, it is almost equally expensive.

I would love for hydros to offer a salinity probe, and wish it would test other parameters for me... maybe one day.

BRS
OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a hydros that I'm very happy with. I can't say it's my favorite, cause its the only controller I've ever had, but I like it.

I admit I bought based on lower price, and apparent ease of use. However, after buying all the hydros components to build the system I want, it is almost equally expensive.

I would love for hydros to offer a salinity probe, and wish it would test other parameters for me... maybe one day.
Soon™

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a apex.. I’m only using it for ph and temp lol.. also have a hydros wave engine running my ice cap gyree… I’m not hip on this new crap! Don’t know that I will buy a trident or anything it seems like a lot of work and wasted money on regents..

WestMI-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an Apex. It’s Overpriced, but it performs tasks on my reef daily that I cannot. It’s also caught at least 2 total system failures that I wouldn’t have discovered for hours/days later.
One thing to note, I believe the only model that people should go for is the “apex pro” because it’s the most value, the lower packages are missing some key components that you will end up upgrading for and spend more than just buying the pro from the start.
Hoping hydros and other manufacturers are able to take more of the market and create competition, but it appears neptune/BRS has this market cornered, hence the ridiculous prices.

nothing_fancy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its definitely a big decision considering the costs but setting up an Apex was the single most useful thing I have ever done for myself with the hobby. I would suggest to someone getting into the hobby to invest in some sort of automation/monitoring first and then spend money on corals (especially if SPS is of interest) If Apex is the move then my opinion is that Trident is critical. I wouldn't be able to maintain my dKh correctly without it, or my calcium. I don't use a DOS system but trident has worked great for me to control simple on/off power to my cal and alk doser pumps. As far as automation is concerned, just on a level of convenience I think it's so worth it. Routine is critical to stability IMO, so If all I have to do is feed the tank daily, maybe add a few drops of coral food, if everything else is scheduled my stability is gonna be where I want it because Im not messing it up by forgetting to do something or doing something at a different time every day. I recently started running a GHL 2.1 for trace elements alongside the apex and I still prefer the UI of the apex for ease of use but the GHL is a great product as well and would consider a full GHL system for a larger tank in the future if budget allows. I will say that setting up the GHL has a learning curve.

Nutramar Foods

flashsmith

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two systems. Automated lighting,ATO on both and a 4 head doser on one. That's it for me. Working on my tanks is an outlet for me. I feel if I went full automation I would lose interest. I enjoy the work and the feeling of accomplishment. To me full automation takes the hobby part out. Just like buying a classic car and paying someone else to restore it for you.

nuxx

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old school Apex worked perfect for me for a long time.

I honestly couldn't imagine doing this hobby without a controller.

The lighting and controller each of the 8 powerheads individually got into a crazy spiderweb of code but was fun. I actually was always scared my programs would get erased and my backups wouldn't work lol

Top Shelf Aquatics

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want partial automation, then I'd recommend setting things up on kasa power strip. Extremely easy and reliable. You won't have parameter monitoring, which sounds nice in theory. But if you're busy like me, then I find continuous monitoring probes additional maintenance and work.

The controllers are nice until the one catastrophic failure event negatively impacts your reef.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am running a reef-pi. It is hitting the major things, ATO, Temp, Timers. I am slowly working towards adding other functions. The next goal is to control ph via CO2 scrubber on my skimmer.
Heard many good things with the Reef Pi

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If you want partial automation, then I'd recommend setting things up on kasa power strip. Extremely easy and reliable. You won't have parameter monitoring, which sounds nice in theory. But if you're busy like me, then I find continuous monitoring probes additional maintenance and work.

The controllers are nice until the one catastrophic failure event negatively impacts your reef.
before there were controllers- this is what we resorted to. I used the corallife timer with 6 outlets. It was such good technology LOL

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this hobby a year ago Apex-less. Then a local reefer sold me and Apex EL. Now that i have one IDK how i would do this hobby with out it. Im not as heavilly invested in apex like Rich Ross but i do have a lot of there accessories.

Now i love my apex and will say the likes out weigh the dislikes. What I've also found is the way i program my Apex is wrong according to the Apex gurus but its working just fine. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Now the dislikes:

Programing it should be easier. The manual is over 100 pages long. Like make a dumb down version for the me and the idiots in the back.:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

LLS is so hard to calibrate. Why is the measurements off by an inch? and why cant it be turned on and it just work properly?

EB832 is not a surge protector. LIKE WHY? Why wouldn't you add this feature????

The failures you hear about are a lot and the fact aftermarket guys are fixing these things better than Neptune can is laughable. I will not buy them new as the new prices are to high for what your getting. I just recently bought another eb832 and another Apex El brain with paired eb832 as a back up.

hoffmeyerz

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using Apex since I started my tank. I waited and kept my eye out for a used one that I was able to pick up with two EB8 units and probes for $250.
I really like it, it has been very reliable. Coding takes a minute to grasp but once you have a handle on it it's pretty simple.
I hate how expensive everything Neptune can be, I just try to watch for good used parts to pop up.

Neptune

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Pirates Reef Corals
Back