Time commitment on a 70-110g AIO vs non-AIO?

Zeromus-X

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I had a 36g bowfront saltwater tank about 20 years ago and life has finally afforded me the opportunity to get back into the hobby. Things have changed a lot and my budget has opened up to not need to DIY everything, so I'm looking at a Waterbox (or equivalent Red Sea, etc) in the 60-100 gallon (display) range. That puts me right at the top end of AIO setups, or the low end of Reef/Marine lines with sump/etc.

My last tank just had a hang-on-back filter and some random rocks, some engineers, a clownfish, a puffer, and some cleaner shrimp. Nothing crazy and I had no idea what I was doing. Maintenance was pretty easy. My plan for the new tank would be something similar, just larger.

My question - is there a significantly higher time commitment when it comes to maintenance with an AIO or with a full-on setup? I'll be starting with FOWLR but eventually would like to add anemones and (maybe) some easy corals. I have no problem picking up a sump/skimmer/reactor/whatever and going all out, but I'm wondering if all that equipment ultimately makes it easier to maintain (since it's doing a lot of the work) or if it's harder/overkill for what I feel is a relatively basic tank goal.

Any thoughts appreciated!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I had a 36g bowfront saltwater tank about 20 years ago and life has finally afforded me the opportunity to get back into the hobby. Things have changed a lot and my budget has opened up to not need to DIY everything, so I'm looking at a Waterbox (or equivalent Red Sea, etc) in the 60-100 gallon (display) range. That puts me right at the top end of AIO setups, or the low end of Reef/Marine lines with sump/etc.

My last tank just had a hang-on-back filter and some random rocks, some engineers, a clownfish, a puffer, and some cleaner shrimp. Nothing crazy and I had no idea what I was doing. Maintenance was pretty easy. My plan for the new tank would be something similar, just larger.

My question - is there a significantly higher time commitment when it comes to maintenance with an AIO or with a full-on setup? I'll be starting with FOWLR but eventually would like to add anemones and (maybe) some easy corals. I have no problem picking up a sump/skimmer/reactor/whatever and going all out, but I'm wondering if all that equipment ultimately makes it easier to maintain (since it's doing a lot of the work) or if it's harder/overkill for what I feel is a relatively basic tank goal.

Any thoughts appreciated!

I've always preferred a sump. It allows for more room, which translates into easy husbandry. And when husbandry is easy, its done regularly.

JC1977

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AIO tanks are convenient because there’s no plumbing to deal with. But IMO that’s where it stops. You’re limited on filtration options and it can be a pain to work with the small compartments they normally have. As far as saving time I seriously doubt there’s much difference between an AIO and a tank with a sump.

Top Shelf Aquatics

collins.jason.k

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to say in my opinion it's more time consuming with the AIO option. With all the stuff hidden away in those little compartments it takes more time taking stuff out to try and clean out the detritus traps that they can be or just being able to see what's going on back there versus the ease of seeing everything going on in the sump.

And as said earlier, the easier it is to get in there to perform maintenance, the more likely you will be willing to do it leading to a better and healthier habitat for your aquatic friends.

OP
OP
Zeromus-X

Zeromus-X

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AIO tanks are convenient because there’s no plumbing to deal with. But IMO that’s where it stops. You’re limited on filtration options and it can be a pain to work with the small compartments they normally have. As far as saving time I seriously doubt there’s much difference between an AIO and a tank with a sump.
I’m hoping the plumbing isn’t a big deal since the Waterbox/etc tanks basically take care of that. No glue, etc.

Often times when you buy “enthusiast level” equipment it can mean a lot more work and effort in getting it tuned in properly. Didn’t know if I was approaching that here by adding a bunch of extra equipment. But if it’s helpful to do so then it’s worth it.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NooPsyche CORAL LIGHT
Back