Thoughts on my 110 gallon stock list?

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently, I have 2 clowns (and a lot of diatoms :grinning-face-with-sweat:)

Mandarins
Sand Sifting goby
Pistol Shrimp
Yellow Watchman Goby
Pajama Cardnials
Copperband Butterflyfish
Juvinille Tang
MAYBE Lionfish??
+Assorted CUC
Corals
Zoas
Acros
Montipora
Euphilia
Chalice
Leather

Theres probable more i may want but thats alll the corals off the top of my head

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mandarins
Sand Sifting goby
Pistol Shrimp
Yellow Watchman Goby
Pajama Cardnials
Copperband Butterflyfish
Juvinille Tang
MAYBE Lionfish??
+Assorted CUC
Corals
Zoas
Acros
Montipora
Euphilia
Chalice
Leather

Theres probable more i may want but thats alll the corals off the top of my head
As far as coral is concerned, I would start simple. Do mushrooms, toadstools, zoas first. I wouldn't personally recommend starting with acros.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as coral is concerned, I would start simple. Do mushrooms, toadstools, zoas first. I wouldn't personally recommend starting with acros.
I was considering doing mostly lps / softies and maybe throw in a few sps corals when i am better at coral keeping

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a lionfish could work? Ive seen people have mixed experiences with them
Usually, fish like this are more reserved for predator tanks. I wouldn't have one in a mixed reef like you want.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mandarins
Sand Sifting goby
Pistol Shrimp
Yellow Watchman Goby
Pajama Cardnials
Copperband Butterflyfish
Juvinille Tang
MAYBE Lionfish??
+Assorted CUC
Corals
Zoas
Acros
Montipora
Euphilia
Chalice
Leather

I’d forget the tang altogether - they tend to become too boisterous for most tanks and definitely want 5-6 foot tanks.

2 mandarins in a 4 foot tank are definitely doable, I’ve done 3-4 in a 5 foot before. Although I don’t agree with getting a biota mandarin simply because it feeds - long term they seem to fall back onto a pod diet and only every so often go for frozen foods.

Pyjama Cardinals IMHO are quite bland but that’s my opinion - I’d definitely replace them with a nice vibrant species of wrasse. But if you know me and have seen my tanks I do have a huge love for wrasses (I currently have 16-18).

The lionfish will definitely go for slower moving species in there - Gobies are likely to be eaten. Mandarins aren’t so likely but it can happen, these fish are opportunistic feeders.

‘Sand sifting goby’ covers many genera - what genus would you be after? Also why would you want them?

Copperbands are a good idea but be cautious with them - they’re delicate and there are a couple main reasons they don’t do well;
Murder (being introduced after tangs is often the worst idea you could have for butterflies)
Feeding (being outcompeted is quite common for this specific species)

SaltyWalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely wait until the tanks pod population is well established before adding the mandarin.
Also try and source your Copper banded butterfly for a reliable source that can get you a healthy fish that’s eating well! There are also some neat CBB feeders. I don’t have personally experience with them but I’ve heard that are pretty handy in getting them to eat.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mandarins
Sand Sifting goby
Pistol Shrimp
Yellow Watchman Goby
Pajama Cardnials
Copperband Butterflyfish
Juvinille Tang
MAYBE Lionfish??
+Assorted CUC
Corals
Zoas
Acros
Montipora
Euphilia
Chalice
Leather

Coral wise, as said above stick to easy at the start.
Also, what other fish would you potentially want?
May as well get the whole list so then you can have some gorgeous fish in a potentially stunning tank :)

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d forget the tang altogether - they tend to become too boisterous for most tanks and definitely want 5-6 foot tanks.

2 mandarins in a 4 foot tank are definitely doable, I’ve done 3-4 in a 5 foot before. Although I don’t agree with getting a biota mandarin simply because it feeds - long term they seem to fall back onto a pod diet and only every so often go for frozen foods.

Pyjama Cardinals IMHO are quite bland but that’s my opinion - I’d definitely replace them with a nice vibrant species of wrasse. But if you know me and have seen my tanks I do have a huge love for wrasses (I currently have 16-18).

The lionfish will definitely go for slower moving species in there - Gobies are likely to be eaten. Mandarins aren’t so likely but it can happen, these fish are opportunistic feeders.

‘Sand sifting goby’ covers many genera - what genus would you be after? Also why would you want them?

Copperbands are a good idea but be cautious with them - they’re delicate and there are a couple main reasons they don’t do well;
Murder (being introduced after tangs is often the worst idea you could have for butterflies)
Feeding (being outcompeted is quite common for this specific species)
I was thinking Diamond Watchman Goby, and my brother really likes the PJ Cardinal so i probably will keep that on my list as long as there no issues with it, if I do end up getting a tiny tang when it gets too big I could use that as an excuse to my mom to get another bigger tank :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Attachments

• 1722441204353.png
    1722441204353.png
    361.9 KB · Views: 14

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can DEFINITELY keep a tang in your tank if it’s a bristletooth variety. They do just fine in 4 and 5 foot tanks.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back