40 gallon breeder first reef tank

kidnoname

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I have been freshwater keeping for a few years, and I have just started cycling my first saltwater aquarium. I know I have a lot to still learn, and it's going to take some time, but I'm ok with that and excited to start reefing!

Equipment so far:
40 gallon breeder
40 pounds of live rock
Tidal 75
Eheim jagar 150w heater
Hygger mini wavemaker 20watt 2600gph (might get a second)
Seachem Stability
Seachem Prime
Instant ocean salt
1.5-2inch Crib sea aragamax sandbed

I was looking for suggestions as to which light would be budgetish but good enough for a mixed reef. I am eventually thinking of moving up to Since I am new to reef keeping the plan is to let the tank be a fowlr tank for a few months until I am more used to reefing/the tank has matured until corals.

I was also wondering if there was anything extra I should put in the Tidal 75? I currently have the media that it came with, a pack of bio balls and some carbon. I was thinking filter floss, or possibly later a hob refugium with chaeto for copepods

I am in no rush to add fish so I'm going to add slowly for both the tank and budgeting. I was also wondering what are people's thoughts about stocking. I was hoping to add 7 maybe 8 fish out of this list, though I know it doesn't always work that way.
I was also wondering if there was a way to tell if you have a good current flow or not?
This is my current wish list, I know that the tank can/will probably look different
Inverts/Clean up (28)
1 Conch
1 Tuxedo Urchin
1 Pistol Shrimp
1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1 Emerald Crab
1 Pom Pom Crab
3 small red leg
3 small blue leg
1 Turbo Snail
4 Cerithium Snail
4 Trochus Snails
4 Nassarius Snails

Fish 6-8 iffffff 9 great if not I'm not worried!
1 Royal Gramma
1 Pink-Streaked Wrasse
1 Blue-Green Chromis
2 Clownfish
1 Firefish
1 Mandarin
1 Longnose Hawkfish
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 pajama cardinal
1 tail spot blenny

One of either
Anemone • bubble Tip
Clam • squamosa

Coral
Zoanthid
Simularia Leather
Weeping Willow "Toadstool"
Xenia Soft Gorgonian
Green Star Polyps "GSP"
Acan/Blasto
Hammer/Frogspawn
Mushroom
Candy Cane
Duncans
Birdinest

Any advice would be much appreciated! I know this will take a while to both learn and create but it's also exciting. If there are any questions I am more than happy to answer. I know that this is a lot of info to both give someone and to receive but I would rather ask before than something happen later.I will also post a photo later when I get home.
Thank you!!

TheLegendaryBarlowe072

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goodluck!! And Happy Reefing!

If you get a mandarin look for captive breed. You’ll have an easier time getting them to eat frozen or pellet. Otherwise they’ll most likely starve to death. Natural diet is mostly copepods.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back