This little guy just found a new home (Derasa Clam)

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I built this aquarium a year ago, I left this space on the sand bed open specifically for a derasa clam. Today that clam arrived :)

The vendor was being a bit conservative when they sold it to me as a 7" clam. I should have measured it before I put it in place, but I'm pretty sure it is bigger than that.

This is an hour after it hit the sand bed:

PXL_20240711_161049163.jpg

Here is a bit more of an overview in my 120g display. It has some room to grow before it gets crowded, but I don't think I'll get too many years out of it before I have to find it another home. Maybe I'll start a clam specific tank someday :cool:

PXL_20240711_161056860.jpg

My only worry is that I don't have a way to QT clams so it had to go straight into the DT. I have one other clam, a small maxima, that has been growing well for 4 months now. Hopefully this derasa didn't come in with anything.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
When I built this aquarium a year ago, I left this space on the sand bed open specifically for a derasa clam. Today that clam arrived :)

The vendor was being a bit conservative when they sold it to me as a 7" clam. I should have measured it before I put it in place, but I'm pretty sure it is bigger than that.

This is an hour after it hit the sand bed:

PXL_20240711_161049163.jpg

Here is a bit more of an overview in my 120g display. It has some room to grow before it gets crowded, but I don't think I'll get too many years out of it before I have to find it another home. Maybe I'll start a clam specific tank someday :cool:

PXL_20240711_161056860.jpg

My only worry is that I don't have a way to QT clams so it had to go straight into the DT. I have one other clam, a small maxima, that has been growing well for 4 months now. Hopefully this derasa didn't come in with anything.
I would worry about pests that impact the tank more than the other clam, as the clam seems to have been somewhere that it could grow well and be healthy. Aiptasia, and Ich are the first two common hitchhiking pests that I might consider as potential threats to the tank, but there are so many that can travel through in this manner that I have learned to ignore them otherwise I do a cursory examination before I drop things into my reef.

For clams I do like to do a 30 minute prophylactic fresh water dip ( submersion) to help eliminate the possibility of Pinched Mantle Disease from coming into the system because I have other clams already present.

@OrionN - taught me that method and it’s helped me not worry about new clam introductions!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I could have done a FWD. I know that is a thing for clams, but assumed it is pretty hard on them so I didn't even think to consider it. Live and learn...
I didn’t always do them either. I read that they would be beneficial and have had excellent results since I started.

I posted because I wanted you to know what I have learned and so that people who read this thread later would also be aware of the benefits of a fresh water dip.

I also thought it would be stressful but they slam shut tight and the greater impact is on surface hitchhikers.

I suspect your clam is going to be fine but I recommend a dip if you get more.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little guy?? I was expecting more like this derasa:

20231013_172006.jpg

But what a beautiful clam! And good placement, right in the middle of the view, good luck with your little guy! :D
Did you get that guy from a spawn in your tank? Can’t buy Derasa that small.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back