Think I'm safe to try a clam again?

MoparMike97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, been a minute since I posted!

So as some of you may remember, I had what could only be described as a clam plague wipe out all 14 of my clams over the course of about 2 weeks. Symptoms initially looked like nothing more than minor irritation and slight mantle retraction before quickly worsening until the affected clam was dead, which was about 2-3 days after initial symptoms. There were a few suggestions as far as potential pathogens but no solid answer as to what was actually responsible. All tank parameters were stable and everything else in the tank (fish, corals, anemone, CUC, etc.) showed no signs of distress, so clearly this was clam specific.

The tank has now been totally clam free for 7 months, I've been thinking about trying a clam or two again but the last thing I'd want is to have it meet the same fate. Do you guys think I've waited long enough to safely try again, or would it still be risky? I know it's difficult to say since there was no clear ID on the actual pathogen responsible but I know others have dealt with similar issues. Thanks!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're probably good, but I would set up a QT system for any future clams after you establish the first ones. I would also be careful on what species you mix and their location, as I think this may be an issue for some. As much as I would like to have a squamosina, I think I would set up a system specifically for Red Sea animals and not mix them with other species from different locales. In the end, it probably doesn't matter, but my mind story has to do with location and unique pathogens.
But as a clam loving community, I think we really need to come up with a protocol for treating incoming clams into our established systems. I think having a separate QT system is a start, but we may need to look into using OA or other treatments as a way of eliminating problematic pathogens?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back