+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I remember those prices and what is funny, is those pumps still work fine. While newer ones I have that cost more have had magnet issues, driver issues, etc. Just crazy.

I guess us old farts are just way to used to the old prices lol..
You nailed it and so true

World Wide Corals

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree but disagree. You have to pay to play, just like any hobby. I mean, I am a gun enthusiast as well and have spent thousands on scopes, guns, etc etc. IF you want nice stuff, you generally gotta pay for it *shrug*. Dont get into an expensive hobby driving a honda but spend like you got a lambo.
At least with guns, I have a tangible collection, a commodity with minimal overhead after initial purchase. Reefing is a money pit, continuously.

World Wide Corals

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wholeheartedly agree especially with coral. Everytime we dive on these live sales and run warehouses out of What was $549 and now $649 tridents units- our message is - we are ok with these prices and willing to pay that.
Where do you get your coral from?

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least with guns, I have a tangible collection, a commodity with minimal overhead after initial purchase. Reefing is a money pit, continuously.
Meh, ammo can be pretty expensive man, you go to the range with a larger gun for a few hours, you watch your dollars fly away. lol

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh, ammo can be pretty expensive man, you go to the range with a larger gun for a few hours, you watch your dollars fly away. lol
Oh I remember .45 ammo being nearly a buck a round. I do reloads for a reason, lol.

LPS Bum

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s my point. It feels like an equipment hobby and not a fish keeping/coral keeping hobby.
I don’t think there needs to be more budget mindset. But having these reliable brands making true entry level equipment with their quality and customer support. I don’t want to buy a Chinese light for cheap and there exist little customer support for me.
I want to see more entry level equipment that are made that basically children can use. The leading companies in the hobby shouldn’t cater to older people with tons of disposable money.
There’s nothing wrong with luxury items, but Im not seeing these same companies making entry level equipment. These companies are be responsible for helping the hobby. It would be great if there was a “radion xr15 beginner”. Limited features. You cant change the wavelengths or anything extra. You can dim and put a time schedule. It’s the same power as the pro lights but fraction of the cost. Basically like you’re a beginner you aren’t going to know how to tune wavelengths and we aren’t going to pretend you’ll learn. Just plug it in, and dim it if it’s too bright, and you’ll be able to keep corals alive. It’s only when they are more experience they should be thinking about paying $$$ for more customization. And now you’re like my extra $$$ let’s me make my corals glow and grow faster

You missed my point, those were examples of how people like you can't help yourself to correct something someone said and then derail the conversation, just like I'm doing to reiterate my position, we are having a side conversation that will eventually take on a life of its own, and no longer are we trying to discuss how we can prevent this thread from becoming people "yelling at clouds" we debate silly ideas...

You missed my point, those were examples of how people like you can't help yourself to correct something someone said and then derail the conversation, just like I'm doing to reiterate my position, we are having a side conversation that will eventually take on a life of its own, and no longer are we trying to discuss how we can prevent this thread from becoming people "yelling at clouds" we debate silly ideas...
Oh boy. Ok, first, you don't know anything about me. So you don't know what I can and cannot help myself to do. To suggest otherwise is laughably ridiculous.

Second, I didn't miss your point. I quoted what you wrote, chapter and verse, and then disagreed with it. You wrote that people claiming that this is capitalism (which it is by the way) and that you don't have to buy the most expensive items would be tantamount to a "clever deflection". I disagreed. It's simply the reality of the situation.

So how exactly is that missing your point?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how exactly is that missing your point?
I definitely believe you missed the point.

The "example" I used wasn't my position it was merely a means to convey how threads like this always get sidetracked and never stay on point because people feel they have to defend or perpetuate an idea that has nothing to do with the intent of the thread...

You read my example, and felt compelled and obligates to speak out on it. Basically you're proving my point.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a blue collar guy. Once our first kid comes someday it will be hard to justify such a taxing hobby both financially and time wise. Trying to not buy things twice has been hard for me. Some places you can save money and buy off brand. Some places you just can’t
Priorities, forget the kids and go for the monster tank. ;)

LPS Bum

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely believe you missed the point.

The "example" I used wasn't my position it was merely a means to convey how threads like this always get sidetracked and never stay on point because people feel they have to defend or perpetuate an idea that has nothing to do with the intent of the thread...

You read my example, and felt compelled and obligates to speak out on it. Basically you're proving my point.
Well if that truly wasn't your position, then you should state that. "This isn't what I believe, but rather what others believe". Something along those lines.

Go and re-read what you originally wrote, and you will see that you did not. Otherwise, how can anyone know what your opinion is and is not?

And responding to posts is the whole idea here. It's an online forum for God's sake. What did you think was the point here? You felt compelled to reply to the original author's post. How does that make you any different than the rest of us?

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom line, do we really need a controller that has everything at our fingertips?
Do we really need the cool factor sump with all the color coded pipes?
Do we really need the lights with dawn/dusk control?

Partly it's the consumer and partly the manufacture trying to sell the sexy factor.

All I want is stuff that works so I can look at the pretty coral and fish. I'm not one to stare at my sump for hours.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom line, do we really need a controller that has everything at our fingertips?
Do we really need the cool factor sump with all the color coded pipes?
Do we really need the lights with dawn/dusk control?

Partly it's the consumer and partly the manufacture trying to sell the sexy factor.

All I want is stuff that works so I can look at the pretty coral and fish. I'm not one to stare at my sump for hours.
I stare at my sump for hours.

But not at equipment lol. (Had to throw a funny in here, as getting super serious. You post was just easy for me to do lol)

CEB763B0-8D38-46A4-A2B2-87954A252D32.jpeg

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stare at my sump for hours.

But not at equipment lol. (Had to throw a funny in here, as getting super serious. You post was just easy for me to do lol)

View attachment 2962949
Want to do thumbs up, laughing, and hugs but it only lets me do one.
It's all good, this hobby is getting crazy and it's not just about the money.

All kidding aside, that is a cool looking sump!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ckuhny3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can’t you avoid?
I just ponied up and got rid of the black boxes . While they worked I feel like they were keeping me from truly loving my tank. So I spent the money. Also the price of stocking my tank has had me lying to my wife about the true price of things. “Oh this hammer frag? It was like 5 bucks.” If she only knew what I have planned

Potatohead

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a scantily clad dressed woman on Facebook who is always selling torches, and when I asked what parameters she’s keeps them at, she read me the info off the salt bucket . But somehow sells corals

Link? I need to do some research on this

Top Shelf Aquatics

HomebroodExotics

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ponied up and got rid of the black boxes . While they worked I feel like they were keeping me from truly loving my tank. So I spent the money. Also the price of stocking my tank has had me lying to my wife about the true price of things. “Oh this hammer frag? It was like 5 bucks.” If she only knew what I have planned
Do you really feel like the upgrade from black boxes was worth it? I’m in a similar position and I just can’t find it worth it yet.

BTimms

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I have reluctantly decided to only support brands with reasonable price points for the exact same product as the expensive model….they are made in the same place and similar quality ….don’t kid yourself.
corporate greed has already driven inflation enough…. I can’t afford overpriced reefing gear, I have to pay for overpriced food.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back