The beginnings of coralline?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is this green coralline algae? It won’t scrub off with a tooth brush. It is not on the sand at all; what you see on the sand is cyano/a totally separate color under blue lights. I introduced some pink coralline to my tank about three weeks ago through a hermit shell. The green has really ramped up lately over the entire main rock within the last two weeks. *Pictures are taken under very bright whites!!!!* But like I said, it won’t scrub off the rocks. The rocks were wet man made live rock. I do not believe it’s hair algae because it seems to be very flat and hasn’t grown hairs over the last few weeks.

Tank life: ~8 weeks
Parameters:
Alkalinity: 9 dKh
Calcium: 450
Nitrate: 7-10
Phosphate: .25
Magnesium: unknown
Salinity: 1.024-1.025
Temp: 77-79
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0

I have some Cyanobacteria that has grown on the rocks after I beat the Dino’s back about a week and a half ago after I increased my nutrients through feedings, put in a UV, and did a lights off period. I scrub the cyano daily and it remains at bay, but it comes off very easily. It won’t grow over the green algae at all. In fact, the green algae seems to deter it. The green also encrusts the rocks and appears flat (no bubbles or hair).

I have two cleaner shrimp, two hermits (blue leg and red tipped), three snails, 4 nassarius snails, two clowns, a yellow tail damsel, two sexy shrimp, and a YWM.
I also have just added pulsing Xenia and GSP. But I had added two FL ricordea frags, two Duncans, and a candy cane a few weeks ago. All are doing amazing, and have grown almost immediately upon putting them in the tank.

093C5833-423B-4529-BE2D-A2A1D0C842E4.jpeg
The good news: you got algae!
The bad news: it ain’t coralline :/

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the shots. Jo
Please do! Fingers crossed mine will start turning soon!
Here’s what I could get. Let me know if that is NOT coraline.

Attachments

• IMG_2800.jpeg
    IMG_2800.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2801.jpeg
    IMG_2801.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2802.jpeg
    IMG_2802.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2803.jpeg
    IMG_2803.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 20

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to tell you but that is not green coralline algae!! If you only have eight weeks it is part of the tank cycle!! Don't despair with good levels you will soon have real coralline!

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to tell you but that is not green coralline algae!! If you only have eight weeks it is part of the tank cycle!! Don't despair with good levels you will soon have real coralline!
My tank is 52 days old, and the poor photos I posted with coralline sprouting is not starting to spread and get bigger, out competing the green that is growing on my rocks. I'm hoping the green stuff doesn't turn quickly into something bad, and that coralline that I've got sprouting all over starts to get a handle and take over.

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, I’ve got several new doors of coralline popping up, and the original spots I posted are merging with others. I’ll share some pictures later

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No algae is growing on top of it, and it’s colonizing rather quickly. But I do have some algae growing.
IMG_2928.jpeg

IMG_2927.jpeg

Has yours turned pink yet, OP?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back