The beginnings of coralline?

modom1207

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this green coralline algae? It won’t scrub off with a tooth brush. It is not on the sand at all; what you see on the sand is cyano/a totally separate color under blue lights. I introduced some pink coralline to my tank about three weeks ago through a hermit shell. The green has really ramped up lately over the entire main rock within the last two weeks. *Pictures are taken under very bright whites!!!!* But like I said, it won’t scrub off the rocks. The rocks were wet man made live rock. I do not believe it’s hair algae because it seems to be very flat and hasn’t grown hairs over the last few weeks.

Tank life: ~8 weeks
Parameters:
Alkalinity: 9 dKh
Calcium: 450
Nitrate: 7-10
Phosphate: .25
Magnesium: unknown
Salinity: 1.024-1.025
Temp: 77-79
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0

I have some Cyanobacteria that has grown on the rocks after I beat the Dino’s back about a week and a half ago after I increased my nutrients through feedings, put in a UV, and did a lights off period. I scrub the cyano daily and it remains at bay, but it comes off very easily. It won’t grow over the green algae at all. In fact, the green algae seems to deter it. The green also encrusts the rocks and appears flat (no bubbles or hair).

I have two cleaner shrimp, two hermits (blue leg and red tipped), three snails, 4 nassarius snails, two clowns, a yellow tail damsel, two sexy shrimp, and a YWM.
I also have just added pulsing Xenia and GSP. But I had added two FL ricordea frags, two Duncans, and a candy cane a few weeks ago. All are doing amazing, and have grown almost immediately upon putting them in the tank.

093C5833-423B-4529-BE2D-A2A1D0C842E4.jpeg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be but likely not. Most coralline is some version of pink. That green color is not common for coralline.

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be but likely not. Most coralline is some version of pink. That green color is not common for coralline.
I don’t totally agree with you. The pink comes from UV exposure. I’ve had strong, green coralline in the past.

Please someone correct me if I’m wrong!

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To OP, I’ve got the same thing going on. All parameters in tank are in favor of the coralline. I don’t know what it is yet for sure.

Do you feed/dose Live Photo at all? I don’t remember my rock ever doing this back in the day (13 years ago) and cycling a tank and curing out rock was totally a different thing back then.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not in an 8 week tank. It's just normal fake rock changing colors. It will be brown, green, purple, etc...just means your rocks are going through normal evolution. Coralline shows up usually around 6 .months and will be on plastic parts long before the rocks and glass.

Attachments

• 20220325_164400.jpg
    20220325_164400.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 67

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not in an 8 week tank. It's just normal fake rock changing colors. It will be brown, green, purple, etc...just means your rocks are going through normal evolution. Coralline shows up usually around 6 .months and will be on plastic parts long before the rocks and glass.
Sure, if you don’t feed your plastic parts. In past tanks, I always had coralline on Rico more so than plastic.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, if you don’t feed your plastic parts. In past tanks, I always had coralline on Rico more so than plastic.
Spellchecker is your friend. Each tank is unique. No new tank like the OP posted is going to have coralline on the fake rocks at 8 weeks. It generally shows up on plastic first but not always because each tank is unique.

OP
OP
M

modom1207

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feed/dose Live Photo at all? I don’t remember my rock ever doing this back in the day (13 years ago) and cycling a tank and curing out rock was totally a different thing back then.
No, I don’t. Should I? I used an old filter media from an established tank, Special Blend a couple times maybe four weeks ago, Nite Out each week starting at four weeks, then increased nutrients to accelerate everything

OP
OP
M

modom1207

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spellchecker is your friend. Each tank is unique. No new tank like the OP posted is going to have coralline on the fake rocks at 8 weeks. It generally shows up on plastic first but not always because each tank is unique.
The rocks are man made but they had been treated with bacteria and other organisms and put into a filtered system for months so they’d be close to live rock. I never let them dry out before putting them in my tank so I’m thinking that probably jump started everything that’s growing on them.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rocks are man made but they had been treated with bacteria and other organisms and put into a filtered system for months so they’d be close to live rock. I never let them dry out before putting them in my tank so I’m thinking that probably jump started everything that’s growing on them.
I doubt curing fake rocks speeds up the process because other processes in the tank need to evolve to. Once you get GHA in month 3 or 4 and deal with that for 3 or 4 months then you will start to see coralline if conditions are right.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I echo other people that in my experience rocks are usually near the last thing to grow coralline algae. In my reef I have to scrape coralline off the glass about once a month to see anything. All the pumps and scrapers are completely purple. The rocks have maybe 1/4 to 1/5 covered in coralline, and even that has taken off mostly recently.

Tank rock is just progressing in my opinion. Tank looks great for 8 weeks!

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this green coralline algae? It won’t scrub off with a tooth brush. It is not on the sand at all; what you see on the sand is cyano/a totally separate color under blue lights. I introduced some pink coralline to my tank about three weeks ago through a hermit shell. The green has really ramped up lately over the entire main rock within the last two weeks. *Pictures are taken under very bright whites!!!!* But like I said, it won’t scrub off the rocks. The rocks were wet man made live rock. I do not believe it’s hair algae because it seems to be very flat and hasn’t grown hairs over the last few weeks.

Tank life: ~8 weeks
Parameters:
Alkalinity: 9 dKh
Calcium: 450
Nitrate: 7-10
Phosphate: .25
Magnesium: unknown
Salinity: 1.024-1.025
Temp: 77-79
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0

I have some Cyanobacteria that has grown on the rocks after I beat the Dino’s back about a week and a half ago after I increased my nutrients through feedings, put in a UV, and did a lights off period. I scrub the cyano daily and it remains at bay, but it comes off very easily. It won’t grow over the green algae at all. In fact, the green algae seems to deter it. The green also encrusts the rocks and appears flat (no bubbles or hair).

I have two cleaner shrimp, two hermits (blue leg and red tipped), three snails, 4 nassarius snails, two clowns, a yellow tail damsel, two sexy shrimp, and a YWM.
I also have just added pulsing Xenia and GSP. But I had added two FL ricordea frags, two Duncans, and a candy cane a few weeks ago. All are doing amazing, and have grown almost immediately upon putting them in the tank.

093C5833-423B-4529-BE2D-A2A1D0C842E4.jpeg
If it's hard and not slimy feeling or has any fuzzyness to it, it is mostly likely coraline.

Most of my coraline starts out green and turns pink or purple.
I think green is very common starting out.

Can you post a closer Pic? Can you scrape some off to feel if it's crusty?

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's hard and not slimy feeling or has any fuzzyness to it, it is mostly likely coraline.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this...

I have the same thing going on. The green stuff on the rock is hard, as a rock. You can't brush it off, and zero slime texture.

OP
OP
M

modom1207

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just felt it, and it does not feel slimy at all. It feels solid, like the rock work. I couldn’t scrape any off the rocks, I think I might need a razor blade for that. I also noticed some on my glass today while I was cleaning. I was able to scrape the stuff off the glass with my nail and it feels the same way that the stuff on the rock work feels, kind of solid. It didn’t come off the glass easily. You can kind of see it on there in the second and third pic but the first pic was from today, too.

Attachments

• 94FCA458-41DD-4FAD-9F2C-0652A7ED062F.jpeg
    94FCA458-41DD-4FAD-9F2C-0652A7ED062F.jpeg
    237.2 KB · Views: 48
  • AA56CC86-3383-46E6-94E5-7FFBF77F9FC7.jpeg
    AA56CC86-3383-46E6-94E5-7FFBF77F9FC7.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 86D7F75D-2BE0-4182-9746-B47BC9CEE634.jpeg
    86D7F75D-2BE0-4182-9746-B47BC9CEE634.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 60

promotheus2070

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the same algea that i had the first few weeks of starting up . You can mark that as youre starting point . Al kind of algea's wil pop up from that point , that did happen to me . After 7-9 months i had seen some coraline pop up . Now almost all stones are covered in coraline after 12 ish months .

Attachments

• 20240409_190440.jpg
    20240409_190440.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
M

modom1207

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this...

I have the same thing going on. The green stuff on the rock is hard, as a rock. You can't brush it off, and zero slime texture.
yeah, that’s exactly what mine feels like. Have you had any algae try to grow on top of it? I’ve noticed the cyanos will not grow where it is, so they’ve taken to the sand bed and all of the plastic stuff in my tank. I’m wondering if it’ll eventually completely suffocate them out

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back