Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m a new reefer and it’s like a celebration everyday when things go well. I’ve had ups and iffy parts.

My tank is 2 months old and my ato overfilled my tank to 1.022 salinity but!! On a good note my GMK zoanthid grew its first opened baby!! I’ve had it for about a week (1 polyp) and a half so I’m so surprised.

what good news do ya’ll have to share?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
C

charles7

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good news is i finally beat the bryopsis/turf algae issue i've been having for months...
Not super familiar besides knowing that’s it’s not fun. If I remember not many things eat it? I’m battling hair algae on my plugs, but I’m able to put a turbo on it before I go to sleep and it’s okay the next day. Only grows on the plugs in my entire tank, kinda weird to me.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
C

charles7

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I significantly upgraded my turnover with a new return pump. I was worried that the increase in water volume and speed through the sump would impact a perfectly balanced ecosystem. It didn't.

Thank you reefing universe.
I don’t have a sump, but it’s one thing I want to learn when I can get a bigger tank!

Nutramar Foods

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I significantly upgraded my turnover with a new return pump. I was worried that the increase in water volume and speed through the sump would impact a perfectly balanced ecosystem. It didn't.

Thank you reefing universe.
What's your GPH through the sump now?

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank will be one year next week and currently it is in the best condition ever since I started. I had many ups and downs. Finally won the GHA battle with a great cleaner crew and no chemicals. I have none in my tank now. Fish are healthy and happy. Corals seem to be thriving. Got about 15 SPS frags now growing well with color. Essentially everything is going to good at this point and with my usual one step forward two steps back lifetime achievement award I know something bad is on the horizon. Luckily I have an unlimited knowledge resource now here at R2R to help me through the challenging times ahead.

Nutramar Foods

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Were corals not happy?
Correct.

I ignored all the reports of bad Turkish TM Pro because I had German made Classic salt.

Finally listened to my brain and decided the salt was the issue. I didn't want to believe it because my tank had always used TM Classic since I filled it and the tank was really doing well. I loved the salt, it mixed so clean and could be kept for days and days in my mixing container waiting for me to do a water change. Then the crud in the mixing barrel started with a new bucket.

I had been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my corals were slowly dieing. Ignored the floating crap in my new salt mix and was doing bigger and bigger water changes each week trying to get things to not die. Parameters were a little elevated PO4 was 0.14 and NO3 around 6.5. Nothing crazy. Sent out multiple ICP tests, nothing to report back that i didnt already know. Lower Iodine and lowish Manganese but nothing that should cause what I was seeing. I had even dosed a little bit of Iodine per ATI's recommendations but nothing changed.

When I finally made the switch to Red Sea Blue bucket the effects were almost immediate. LPS rebounded immediatly. What SPS I still had alive started to extend thier polyps after the second water change and now things are really looking back on track after the 3rd water change.

TM refused to aknowledge anything was wrong with thier German salt. Even to this day, the Turkish salt was only pulled as a precaution and they stated nothing is wrong with it.

For me, I now believe 100% the salt was the cause. Nobody can change my mind. I am glad I switched before a complete crash.

OP
OP
C

charles7

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank will be one year next week and currently it is in the best condition ever since I started. I had many ups and downs. Finally won the GHA battle with a great cleaner crew and no chemicals. I have none in my tank now. Fish are healthy and happy. Corals seem to be thriving. Got about 15 SPS frags now growing well with color. Essentially everything is going to good at this point and with my usual one step forward two steps back lifetime achievement award I know something bad is on the horizon. Luckily I have an unlimited knowledge resource now here at R2R to help me through the challenging times ahead.
That’s awesome! My GHA is on my plugs :/ but I will hire another team of snails to combat it if I have to. I don’t have sps although I want to in my second tank eventually!

OP
OP
C

charles7

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct.

I ignored all the reports of bad Turkish TM Pro because I had German made Classic salt.

Finally listened to my brain and decided the salt was the issue. I didn't want to believe it because my tank had always used TM Classic since I filled it and the tank was really doing well. I loved the salt, it mixed so clean and could be kept for days and days in my mixing container waiting for me to do a water change. Then the crud in the mixing barrel started with a new bucket.

I had been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my corals were slowly dieing. Ignored the floating crap in my new salt mix and was doing bigger and bigger water changes each week trying to get things to not die. Parameters were a little elevated PO4 was 0.14 and NO3 around 6.5. Nothing crazy. Sent out multiple ICP tests, nothing to report back that i didnt already know. Lower Iodine and lowish Manganese but nothing that should cause what I was seeing. I had even dosed a little bit of Iodine per ATI's recommendations but nothing changed.

When I finally made the switch to Red Sea Blue bucket the effects were almost immediate. LPS rebounded immediatly. What SPS I still had alive started to extend thier polyps after the second water change and now things are really looking back on track after the 3rd water change.

TM refused to aknowledge anything was wrong with thier German salt. Even to this day, the Turkish salt was only pulled as a precaution and they stated nothing is wrong with it.

For me, I now believe 100% the salt was the cause. Nobody can change my mind. I am glad I switched before a complete crash.
That’s a good ending but dang never thought salt could do that. I always figured it would be build up of nitrate or phosphate

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m a new reefer and it’s like a celebration everyday when things go well. I’ve had ups and iffy parts.

My tank is 2 months old and my ato overfilled my tank to 1.022 salinity but!! On a good note my GMK zoanthid grew its first opened baby!! I’ve had it for about a week (1 polyp) and a half so I’m so surprised.

Today is a good day in the reef, hammers are extending down on to the stalks and up to the light. That’s the best news I could ask for.

gibec

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

what ato system was that? and was it user error or item defect?
I want to buy one, but worried that something like this would happen and kill everything in my tank...

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Extreme Corals
Back