Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If shading him aint working i would. Ive see them on reefs in florida in like 12 inches of water getting blasted by sunlight. Think these guys are more along the lines of sps light then normal mushroom light.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If shading him aint working i would. Ive see them on reefs in florida in like 12 inches of water getting blasted by sunlight. Think these guys are more along the lines of sps light then normal mushroom light.
I agree with you. All my mushrooms thrive and reproduce in high light. But when going from shade to high light immediately, they bleach.

I actually just got a free gonzo from an ebay seller and he told me he kept his in low light. I immediately put it at the top of my racks and within a few days it started splitting.
Some may say this is a defense mechanism but the coloration and reproduction I'm seeing is nothing but beneficial to me.

FWIW, gonzos always split fast and grew like weeds in my tank. I had one turn into about 20 over the course of a month.
Borderline nuisance coral!
20230519_171515.jpg

Seansea

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not go to the top but maybe half way. wait a few weeks then bounce him up higher. I would think even at midway it would still be pretty good. But i know for sure that ricordea definitly like high light.

Seansea

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool looking mushroom
I agree with you. All my mushrooms thrive and reproduce in high light. But when going from shade to high light immediately, they bleach.

I actually just got a free gonzo from an ebay seller and he told me he kept his in low light. I immediately put it at the top of my racks and within a few days it started splitting.
Some may say this is a defense mechanism but the coloration and reproduction I'm seeing is nothing but beneficial to me.

FWIW, gonzos always split fast and grew like weeds in my tank. I had one turn into about 20 over the course of a month.
Borderline nuisance coral!View attachment 3172026

OP
OP
LunacyEmber

LunacyEmber

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not go to the top but maybe half way. wait a few weeks then bounce him up higher. I would think even at midway it would still be pretty good. But i know for sure that ricordea definitly like high light.
Thank you!!!!!! I appreciate it. I feel stupid for reading online that they are “low light” loving shrooms. It seems like all of the success everyone else seems to have had have been in high light. Yay!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
LunacyEmber

LunacyEmber

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Borderline nuisance coral!View attachment 3172026
Thank you! I’ll have him on the bottom again for a few days in low light then have him travel up the rock a few inches every few weeks. I hope he recovers. It hurts seeing something in such bad condition.

Neat mushy! I’ll look into one!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back