Tank seals

TheDon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys

Recently acquired a TMC Habitat 60! Looks a great tank but the seals may drive me crazy! Didn’t look so bad when I viewed but now it’s home and cleaned! I think it’s where he’s been a bit too aggressive with the cleaning blade. Am I being a bit too picky? Or is this just wear and tear!

Any suggestion's on making it better?

Many thanks (it’s only the front seals, left is worse than right)

IMG_1565.jpeg

Linknzelda1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would reapply some clear aquarium silicone and get behind the preexisting to hopefully clear it up where it isn't as noticeable but yeah it looks like someone went a little to crazy cleaning around the seam

OP
OP
T

TheDon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a closer picture? I can't tell from the photo if resealing is necessary
Will try and get a closeup tomorrow, I think the marks are old sealant residue from where they have used a scraper as there was some coraline on the seals and I cleaned that off with some vinegar.

Attachments

• IMG_1565.jpeg
    IMG_1565.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 25

WalkerLovesTheOcean

I love acans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will try and get a closeup tomorrow, I think the marks are old sealant residue from where they have used a scraper as there was some coraline on the seals and I cleaned that off with some vinegar.
That picture is fine.

It looks like pieces of the silicone has chipped off in between the 2 glass panels. I would not use it as is. Will need resealing unforuantly.

OP
OP
T

TheDon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main seals are fine no bubbles and still plenty of sealant left it’s just the edging of seal that’s probably been chipped away at with a scraper. Where probably talking a millimetre if that, it just looks a bit scruffy, I’ve viewed quite a few tanks and seals all seem to have some wear and tear.

Bitter old man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That picture is fine.

It looks like pieces of the silicone has chipped off in between the 2 glass panels. I would not use it as is. Will need resealing unforuantly.

The main seals are fine no bubbles and still plenty of sealant left it’s just the edging of seal that’s probably been chipped away at with a scraper. Where probably talking a millimetre if that, it just looks a bit scruffy, I’ve viewed quite a few tanks and seals all seem to have some wear and tear.
IMG_3974.gif

WalkerLovesTheOcean

I love acans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay... I mean it's your call but me personally would never trust seals in that condition.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be fine, that looks like normal wear and tear. But, that said, it would bug me every time i saw it. If you do decide to do something about it, DO NOT apply silicone on top of the silicon. It will not stick and look like crap in short order. Scrape all the old silicon out down to bare glass and do a proper re seal.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it looks more cosmetic then structural.. get some normal tank gunk corner algae growing and you will never notice it.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back