Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Just like the title says. I have a pair of premium frostbite clowns that are super aggressive. They bully they heck out of any new fish I add. Firefish, small yellow wrasse, right to the point of killing it.

Are there any fish I could add that would be ok? Maybe a dwarf angel or tang? Or am going to have to rehome my clowns? open to suggestions . My current stock list is

2 premium frostbite clowns
Splendid pintail fairy wrasse
Diamond goby.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Big G

captain dunsel
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Clowns can be incredibly aggressive. One of mine, for awhile, chased my Foxface around the tank even though the Foxface is 3x as big. Yikes! Now they just ignore each other. So, the conundrum add aggressive fish like Damsels, etc. or wait it out a bit.
How big is the tank?

OP
OP
P

Pembro

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Clowns can be incredibly aggressive. One of mine, for awhile, chased my Foxface around the tank even though the Foxface is 3x as big. Yikes! Now they just ignore each other. So, the conundrum add aggressive fish like Damsels, etc. or wait it out a bit.
How big is the tank?
Hey thanks for the reply. Tank is 69g AiO tank. What are some other fish like damsels that Would handle their own?

Phil Steel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could try re-scaping before you add in new fish to confuse the clowns? They are in essence, staking their territory.

I wouldn't go down the route of getting more" aggressive fish, because that will limit your options to fish in the future but perhaps you could also QT them for a whole - almost like a time out.

Good luc!

OP
OP
P

Pembro

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could try re-scaping before you add in new fish to confuse the clowns? They are in essence, staking their territory.

I wouldn't go down the route of getting more" aggressive fish, because that will limit your options to fish in the future but perhaps you could also QT them for a whole - almost like a time out.

Good luc!
It’s a great idea. But my rock is glued together. I could Qt the clowns. I really wanted to added a flame angel. And maybe a small tang. And then I was done with fish lol.

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a great idea. But my rock is glued together. I could Qt the clowns. I really wanted to added a flame angel. And maybe a small tang. And then I was done with fish lol.
Off topic but im from ontario. What is your lfs?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey all. Just like the title says. I have a pair of premium frostbite clowns that are super aggressive. They bully they heck out of any new fish I add. Firefish, small yellow wrasse, right to the point of killing it.

Are there any fish I could add that would be ok? Maybe a dwarf angel or tang? Or am going to have to rehome my clowns? open to suggestions . My current stock list is

2 premium frostbite clowns
Splendid pintail fairy wrasse
Diamond goby.
isolation most effective. They are very territorial and even moving rocks around rarely phase them as they generally hang in corners or upper tank, not in caves

Nutramar Foods

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few great ones. Candy corals, reef paradise are about an hour away. My local shops are big als or living aquarium
Candy corals is ok, they have good stock and selection . but I recently ordered a pair of yellowheaded jawfish from them and they were both riddled with ich. Unfortunatley, they didn't make it. Never heard of reef paradise or living aquarium, I should check them out. Big als is decent. depends which one it is. Scarborough is good, but places like whitby big als aren't amazing. Fragbox is an amazing store but they only stock captive bred fish which is good but it means they don't have a great selection of fish.

OP
OP
P

Pembro

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find you a nice little wrasse, they'll shut up real quick.
See thought so. But they chase the splendid pintail off when it comes close. But I added a yellow wrasse yesterday and the female was relentless. The yellow wrasse has been hiding in the sand since.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
P

Pembro

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Candy corals is ok, they have good stock and selection . but I recently ordered a pair of yellowheaded jawfish from them and they were both riddled with ich. Unfortunatley, they didn't make it. Never heard of reef paradise or living aquarium, I should check them out. Big als is decent. depends which one it is. Scarborough is good, but places like whitby big als aren't amazing. Fragbox is an amazing store but they only stock captive bred fish which is good but it means they don't have a great selection of fish.
Yea I hear that. Ive only picked up a Yasha goby pair from candy corals and they were both healthy. Exotic aquarium world is nice too. Big Al’s Kitchener is the one I go to. Great prices.

Nutramar Foods

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I hear that. Ive only picked up a Yasha goby pair from candy corals and they were both healthy. Exotic aquarium world is nice too. Big Al’s Kitchener is the one I go to. Great prices.
Athough i should cut candy corals some slack since it probably isn't their fault and they probably got a bad batch. The closest place to me that has saltwater animals is tyrannosauras pets, which on occasion has things like clownfish damsels, firefish, gobies, and things of the sort.

OP
OP
P

Pembro

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Athough i should cut candy corals some slack since it probably isn't their fault and they probably got a bad batch. The closest place to me that has saltwater animals is tyrannosauras pets, which on occasion has things like clownfish damsels, firefish, gobies, and things of the sort.
Ahh . I’ve never heard of that place.

Nutramar Foods
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back