Tank Crash

WalkerLovesTheOcean

I love acans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms, brown hair algae I believe. My nitrates were at 5.9 and phosphate at .14
Those aren't too bad but most recent ones could very better like said above. I can't see this killing hammers, though.

OP
OP
Christine Rawlings

Christine Rawlings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those aren't too bad but most recent ones could very better like said above. I can't see this killing hammers, though.
Ok good to know, I mentioned on another comment that I purchased an aptasia eating file fish and he may have been the problem! He didn’t even eat the aptasia either and then died recently so I’m going to get more hammers and frogspawn now.

OP
OP
Christine Rawlings

Christine Rawlings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost 16 heads of hammers... The dose pump wasn't the issue it was the return pump. Now I have ink bird and dose pump is on an app. I didn't buy a dose pump Until I couldn't keep up from manually takes about a year. Best thing to get is ink bird it kills the heater if it gets stuck and messages me the temperature on lows or highs. 50 bucks not even a lot.
Yes I do have the ink bird for my heaters and fans for both tanks. I would be paranoid all of the time without them!! I have seen that you can have shut offs for dosing so it’s actually on my list to gain more knowledge on and wish list for the future of my set up! I’m so new that I’m just taking on one thing at a time. I already want a bigger tank though haha

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes a bad bacteria may get in the water, oils from a candle, I actually think not knowing what went wrong is worse then actually knowing where you made the mistake and its possible you made no mistake at all too.
Agreed. I'm still flummoxed!!!!

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I opened the curtains one morning and saw that almost all of my fish were dead. Things had been going so well for so long I'd gotten too complacent and taken my eye off the ball. It was likely low oxygen that killed them, but the cause of that I never discovered. I donated the surviving livestock to my LFS and put a small green iguana in the tank instead. (Over the years she grew into a big green iguana, but that's another story).

OP
OP
Christine Rawlings

Christine Rawlings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I opened the curtains one morning and saw that almost all of my fish were dead. Things had been going so well for so long I'd gotten too complacent and taken my eye off the ball. It was likely low oxygen that killed them, but the cause of that I never discovered. I donated the surviving livestock to my LFS and put a small green iguana in the tank instead. (Over the years she grew into a big green iguana, but that's another story).
Oh nooo, I was just thinking about oxygen levels this morning and how one can tell if there is not enough oxygen? Awe great Iguana story I’m sure!

WalkerLovesTheOcean

I love acans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nooo, I was just thinking about oxygen levels this morning and how one can tell if there is not enough oxygen? Awe great Iguana story I’m sure!
Lots of water flow and surface agitation. A skimmer would help too, but not sure if you have one.

OP
OP
Christine Rawlings

Christine Rawlings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of water flow and surface agitation. A skimmer would help too, but not sure if you have one.
I do have one thank you! The small tank has one in the compartment but I’m wondering if I should buy a power head for that tank, specially before adding coral. Right now all I have is a Pygmy rooster fish in there. The second tank has the skimmer in the sump.

Attachments

• IMG_7038.jpeg
    IMG_7038.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6552.jpeg
    IMG_6552.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 21

WalkerLovesTheOcean

I love acans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have one thank you! The small tank has one in the compartment but I’m wondering if I should buy a power head for that tank, specially before adding coral. Right now all I have is a Pygmy rooster fish in there. The second tank has the skimmer in the sump.
Nice setups.

Yes, you definitely want a powerhead for corals.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back